What's new

Fantastic Four gets a release date and yet another screenwriter (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Came across this news at SuperheroHype.com :

There's also a little mention of Blade 3, The Punisher, Sub-Mariner and Iron Man and an audio file of Avi Arad discussing these ones.

This news comes a day after screenwriter Mark Frost (Twin Peaks) was reportedly hired for the movie. Other writers previously attached include Sam Hamm (Batman), Michael France (Cliffhanger), Tristan Patterson (debut) and Doug Petrie (Harriet the Spy)

Fantastic Four will be coming from Universal and director Peyton Reed (Bring It On, Down With Love). Nobody's been cast yet.

Thoughts?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Howzabout...

- George Clooney as Reed (he stunk up the place as Bruce Wayne, but I definitely think he has not only the right look but also the attitude to play Mr. Fantastic)

- Helen Hunt as Sue (I know, she's in her early 30s in the comics, but Helen would be soooo great for the part in every other way. Besides, she's barely touching 40 this year)

- Mark Wahlberg as Johnny (Just a hunch I have)

- CGI would take care of The Thing, not sure who I'd cast to play Ben in human form

- Vincent D'Onofrio as Victor von Doom

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I didn't listen to the conference call, but the report said 20th Century Fox was taking it, not Universal. Are they both taking it in?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Good question, Tom.

I remember this property being attached to Universal from a while back, and a glance at the IMDb 'Company Credits'* lists the following:

1492 Pictures [us] (Chris Columbus' label)
20th Century Fox [us]
Marvel Entertainment [us]
Universal Pictures [us]

*Some of this info could be wrong, but as of now I'm assuming it's a Uni/Fox co-production.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
George Clooney as Reed is okay, but let's bring in Brad Pitt for Johnny. Need a blonde hottie for Sue (how about Charlize Theron).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This movie has been in production for so long and gone through so many writers and directors.....

I remember years ago they were talking about Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan for Mr Fantastic and Invisible Girl

There has been talk of Clooney for Reed lately.

Jay Mohr would be my pick for Human Torch

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
It's about time F.4. gets down to business!!!

I'm really looking forward to this movie and make it's mark on the big screen.

I like Patrick's choice for Sue. I also would go for Elizabeth Sue. Both are nice :)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
This movie has been in production for so long and gone through so many writers and directors.....
Not to mention the extremely low budget version that was made in 1994. I remember being at a comic book convention in 1996 and there was this guy who had it playing on a tv at his table (he was also selling copies at $20 a pop). It looked really bad. :thumbsdown:

Rob T

Screenwriter
FF will cost a lot of money so I'm thinking Uni will help with some of the costs.

GregK

Screenwriter
If I remember the story correctly: Roger Cormen 1st had the rights to "the Fantastic Four" but had not made a film. However Marvel had a stipulation in their contract(s) that after X number of years, if a film has not yet been made that the rights would revert back to Marvel. So Corman went off and for around a million bucks, made the ultra low budget "FF" film. Sometime after the film was made, and while Corman was trying to find someone interested in his low budget film, 20th Century Fox purchased the rights to make a "FF" film. Fearing negative publicity Corman's low budget flick could cause to the FF franchise, Fox purchased the rights to Corman's film just to moth ball it. :D

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
My FF Dream Cast:

Reed Richards: George Clooney (since he's rumored to be in there already, although a big part of me wants William H. Macy)

Sue Richards: Naomi Watts. Great actress, can do strong and maternal equally wonderfully.

Johnny Storm: Heath Ledger (although Paul Walker is a good choice too.)

Ben Grimm: Bruce Willis
The Thing: CGI with Willis's voice

Victor Von Doom: Ralph Fiennes. Aristocratic, arrogant, European, monomaniacal... he'd be brilliant. My second choice would be Christopher Eccleston

And for shits and giggles:

The Mole Man: Tony Shalhoub

Galactus: Jeremy Irons

Norrin Radd/Silver Surfer: Johnny Depp

There's more but suddenly I am run over by a truck.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Any word on a Silver Surfer movie? Cause I'd love to see that...

And Ralph Fiennes as Doom would be excellent casting...D'Onofrio would be great as Doom as well...and Clooney is perfect for Reed...

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Clooney just doesn't look "smart" enough to me to play Reed Richards. As for Bruce Willis as the Thing, I've always pictured a deeper, stronger voice than Bruce's. Listening to his voice with a different body would probably give me Look Who's Talking flashbacks too. The biggest problem, budget-wise, is that with the cost of the special effects this movie would require, I doubt they could afford more than one (if any) hollywood heavy-hitters.

I'll have to put a little more thought into who I'd cast...

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
This will probably be an origin picture, so... Johnny Storm should be a teenager. Hello? What's with recommending Brad Pitt and other guys pushing 40?

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
That was good Todd.

And I'm far far far more interested in the director and his thoughts on the project than I am the cast. A great cast is easily wasted. We can all name tons of movies that fall into that trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks