What's new

Fantastic Four gets a release date and yet another screenwriter (1 Viewer)

BrianMagog

Stunt Coordinator
Two more articles:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/504/504698p1.html

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/504/504184p1.html

Notable quotes:

"Story's hiring may be another indication that Fox and Marvel are intent on making Fantastic Four a comedy."

"The trade paper also confirms the rumor that Emmy-winner Michael Chiklis is up for the role of Ben Grimm, a.k.a. The Thing, and might film his part while on summer hiatus from FX's The Shield. Chiklis, however, is not in talks for the project; the filmmakers are only checking his availability.

"What attracted me was that they are a family," Story advised Variety while reportedly scouting locations in Vancouver. "They might want to wring each others necks. They might storm out and disappear for three days, but you also know they'll be back. They don't always get along.""

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
As much as I would love to see this, I don't think I'll bother with a "sitcom" version of the F4. What a crappy idea:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, kinda hard to go on what they actually will do with this, tho Story doesn't give me great hope. I'll just have to wait and see.

A friend of mine suggested last night that Ron Pearlman probably would make a pretty good Thing. Not a bad idea, but perhaps too close to Hellboy for comfort? I do like the Chiklis idea, tho.

Jason

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
From Barbershop to Fantastic Four...it's a natural progression!
Not really unlike going from Heavenly Creatures to The Lord of the Rings. I'm not worried about the director as much as what the suits want.

The idea of making it a "sitcom" does bother me. Mark Waid bolted from the Fantastic Four comic precisely because of that: Joe Quesada wanted a sitcom-style book, and Waid refused. Maybe they had the upcoming movie in mind.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Not really unlike going from Heavenly Creatures to The Lord of the Rings.
Except you forgot "The Frighteners" in there. That's why I didn't have much fear about the effects thing, since he did such a fine job there.

Jason

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
You would think they would go with a proven director of Big Budget movies. Fantastic 4 was already screwed up over 10 years ago. You think they would be trying to get it right this time around.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The sitcom idea has to be one of the worst ideas of all time. Forget casting/crew...if they push for a sitcom version we will have a horrible film and then they will blame it on the franchise rather than the approach.

I mean, didn't F4 become popular without being a sitcom? Spidey is the funny one, and even then he's got issues to worry about.

The greatest thing about the Marvel books is that they were steeped in real issues for the non-real characters. Sitcom is a genre that is intetionally not real, thus you lose the very selling point that made the comic such a big hit.

How hard is it to do the F'N math on the X-Men films and Spidey film(s)...maybe you might want to stick with your normal H'wood method of COPYING someone else's approach, they certainly don't mind copying bad films with more bad films, you'd think they would want to try copying $200m-$400m films rather than "experimenting".

Did they not see the public reaction to The Hulk?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
From Barbershop to Fantastic Four...it's a natural progression!
Well, there's Taxi in between. I gather the French film its a remake of is a great big vehicular mayhem action-comedy; if the Queen Latifah one is similar, Fox may be impressed enough with the dailies to think this guy can handle a big adventure movie.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
It's been a while since there's been any discussion about this film here, but this just popped up on superherohype.com. It's a pic of what the Thing could look like in the upcoming movie...

It's from a make-up artist trade show.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
It's been a while since there's been any discussion about this film here, but this just popped up on superherohype.com. It's a pic of what the Thing could look like in the upcoming movie...

It's from a make-up artist trade show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks