What's new

Olive Films October 2015 Releases (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Didn't SNL parody this film (Mandingo) in their early days? Seems i remember a skit about it.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Danny_N said:
It would be nice if Paramount had revisited Mandingo. It's hard to believe that a major studio like Paramount and an A list director like Fleischer ever produced something like Mandingo, and with such a cast. You would expect Italians to come up with this, and they did of course, but not Hollywood.

Paramount didn't actually make Mandingo - Dino De Laurentiis produced it independently. Paramount owns the rights for the US and Canada.

DDL made movies in those days by pre-selling the rights to different companies in different territories, and then using the money raised to make the film. Both Mandingo and Death Wish, for example, are owned by Paramount in North America and by other companies overseas. Note the films are actually copyrighted to De Laurentiis, not to Paramount.

I think Mandingo and Drum got made because De Laurentiis was Italian, and as such was probably tone-deaf to American racial sensitivities. He just saw the moneymaking potential, not the racial minefield.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
You're right, never thought about De Laurentiis producing the film, it's Italian after all :) . Both Mandingo and Drum were based on novels by American author Kyle Onstott though and apparently the novels (and the rest Onstott's Falconhurst saga) were as politically incorrect as the movies.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I do not see that function there. I did get an email from them staying all Olive films titles are on sale, but I did not see the promotion mentioned anywhere else.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hmmm. I did find a way to filter by "studio," by which they really seem to mean label, but despite having several small ones listed, they don't list Olive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks