What's new

Fallout 76 (Bethesda) - 11/14/2018 (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
They were very explicit that single player will be allowed - so for those who don't like playing online, you will still be able to do so, albeit with a slightly less rich experience. I'm planning to play co-op with a private group of friends

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don't think the "single player" aspect can have much of a story line if the same game can also be played as an MMO game which do not have story lines at all.

I like the immersive story driven games like half-life, fallout4, even skyrim (although didn't care for the story). I admit I do not know all the details of this new game, but it just feels like it will be sort of like playing fallout4 in survival mode. It will get boring pretty quickly if you have to spend all your time scrounging for food and water.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I don't think the "single player" aspect can have much of a story line if the same game can also be played as an MMO game which do not have story lines at all.

I like the immersive story driven games like half-life, fallout4, even skyrim (although didn't care for the story). I admit I do not know all the details of this new game, but it just feels like it will be sort of like playing fallout4 in survival mode. It will get boring pretty quickly if you have to spend all your time scrounging for food and water.

Scott, contrary to many beliefs, some MMO games have truly impressive single player stories, such as The Elder Scrolls Online or Final Fantasy XIV. It's easy to make blanket statements like "MMO game which do not have story lines at all", but until you've tried some and seen how good the writing can be, you should probably reserve judgement. You might be surprised!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The current quest I'm on in the game I'm playing is called MMORPGFPS, so no preconceptions about game "genre". And solo FO, even if "less rich" than online, can't be that bad. Just glad solo is an option after all.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, whenever they talked about how you can play offline solo, they made it sound like you would be missing out on a good part of the experience they're aiming for. Also...there's no private parties, as far as I can tell, and the ability to have a private server for you and your friends will not be available at launch. So if you want to avoid randos...good luck with that, since they seem to be designing the game around the idea of it.

Even if the community isn't toxic, even if people are supportive and help each other out, I still have no interest. Fallout 4, even by the standards of many people who like the game, was far from perfect and was not one of the "best experiences of the last decade." It's a bunch of good ideas bogged down by bad ideas and broken software. It's just like the other Fallouts. I'd argue it's just like many Bethesda games. Throw in some online multiplayer which will take months to get working right and...no thanks.

Also, making something bigger does not mean it's an improvement. Making a game map bigger means you're replacing Content with "content."

EDIT: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/11/3-things-fallout-76-gives-up-by-going-online-only

Fallout 76 can be played without working with other people joining you but it's still online-only, no private servers at launch, and there are no NPCs in the game (all of the humans you run into will be other players).

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Guess I should have done a better job of reading the ARS Technica article I linked earlier.

In bold face Fallout '76 Yes, its entirely online

But in the next section "Of course you can play this solo".

Not sure exactly how all of that will play out. You have to connect to a Bethesda server, but can play solo? No NPCs, how's that gonna work if you are solo mode?

- Walter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Modern online can be lots of fun without any online rage-kiddiez. Destiny showed me that. Find some friends or use a matchmaking service or connect with forum friends.

My issue is that these games are lifestyles, demanding obsessive play to stay current and competitive. That's not where my life is presently. I'll pass and hope for a FO5 that works for me in a few years.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sam - private servers are part of their post-launch plans, specifically so that people can run mods that won't ruin the game for the public servers. I expect this will be exclusive to the PC version (though I could be wrong).

I'm guessing that the "you can play solo" comment is sort of like how you can play WoW, FFXIV, or any other MMORPG online without being forced to work with other players. It's like saying you can watch a movie in a theater without bringing friends, but you'll still be surrounded by strangers doing the same thing whether you want it or not.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
If I can be killed by another player I won't play. I want to control my game. If I have a quest to go to the top of a mountain and get a turnip from a talking mushroom, I don't want to walk all the way there only to find out the talking mushroom has been killed by a random player because they thought it would be funny. :)

Listening to one of the interviews, they stated there will be nukes that players can set off that will basically change an entire section of the map. So does this mean I could make a base camp and get nuked?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Scott - they said the game would be survival lite, so I don't think your base camp and stuff or any progress would really be lost. You most likely would just have to hit "reload/continue" or something.

I think they're aiming for the interactions with other players to be more positive, but...people still don't want to play online at all.

This doesn't look like "Fallout but multiplayer," it looks like "survival game cosplaying as Fallout."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What heartenes me is that this is “Fallout 76”. If this is your bag, great for you. If not, it’s not “Fallout 5”, which allows for the hope that there will be another traditional story-based first person game out there.

And given all the coverage lately, I might reload and fire up again Fallout Shelter on my iPad.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So I played all 4 hours tonight. I mostly had fun. A few frustrating things but overall positive.

Saw my first neighbor in power armor at 5 minutes before server shutdown. He left it. I could not get in.

I was intentionally PKed by the same douche twice while out of ammo. Everyone else was very nice. I met new folks and added em to friends list.

It looks very nice. Good vistas. A LOT of chugging video for no apparent reason, on an Xbox 1X.

Surround sound and HDR were very good.

I don't normally have to wear my distance glasses playing on this OLED, I will need to for this game.

I miss NPCs.

I have no idea what the 'point' is of the game here. I can't tell if there is an overarching story. I didn't get any opportunities to leave a permanent mark on the server. Areas seemed to reset in about 15 minutes of inaction.

The VATS without time stop is weird. I dunno if I will get used to that.

I'm playing Skyrim on Switch, whcih has A and B buttons reversed. It is absolutely infurating to come back to a Bethesda game on X1 and have my buttons be backwards.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm playing Skyrim on Switch, whcih has A and B buttons reversed. It is absolutely infurating to come back to a Bethesda game on X1 and have my buttons be backwards.

I used to juggle a few games (notably Borderlands and Skyrim) back on an Xbox 360 and eventually stopped doing that because of the mental re-adjustment to controller schemes.

I'm still not really sold on this addition to the Fallout universe, but I am curious to read your further impressions as you spend more time in the game.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks