What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Romeo and Juliet (1968) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Always thought CRITERION was a purist ? Their covers are hideous ! Never seen one I really liked! Loved the original poster of "Tom Jones" and they really dropped the ball !

I know a lot of people want to see original poster art...but the poster art can be found elsewhere if you want to look at it. I prefer to see new art that expresses someone else's feeling for the film. I don't like every piece of art that Criterion uses for their covers, but I like a lot of it (R+J included). I don't think they're "dropping the ball" at all.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't get the dislike of the new R & J cover art. It essentially is the poster art, only with a red wash over it and the addition of the sword.

I actually never cared all that much for the original poster art. It featured a fairly crappy cropping of a still from the movie pasted onto a white background. I still have the poster which I bought back in the 70's (mine has movie critic remarks on it). I bought it because I really liked the film, but I never thought the poster was much to look at.

I far prefer this to some of the artsy fartsy stuff Criterion sometimes uses.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally watched this after getting the disc back in the winter. I thought it looked tremendous, with very vibrant colors and a crisp picture. The movie, of course, is a classic, and perhaps the best adaptation of Shakespeare I've ever seen.

It’s the ultimate cautionary tale of timely delivery of the mail.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks