What's new

Fallout 76 (Bethesda) - 11/14/2018 (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New info from E3:

Fallout76_CE_in-body_960x540.jpg

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yea, it is a pass for me as well. I would rather play with a Deathclaw than go back to playing with anonymous strangers who often are only there to ruin the fun of others. I haven't played online since the TFC days. Just as Counterstrike was becoming popular and the cheating/hacking took over. It became just a war of who had the better hacks.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The idea of co-op Fallout isn't so bad, but almost everything else about this idea doesn't sound fun to me.

They're really like 2 years late to the survival game trend. As much as I dislike the battle royale trend, at least the companies jumping into that right now are actually on time.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's literally ballooned one of the greatest gaming experiences of the last decade to 4x the size with updated visuals and the reaction is "meh I don't want to play online".

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yep. Different strokes for different folks, bud. :)

In a slightly more serious vein, apparently they have revised / upgraded the Creation Engine for Fallout 76; but having experienced literally hundreds of freezes in Skyrim and Fallout 4 over the years I'm uncertain if the new engine is up to the task. I guess time will tell on that front, but I am not optimistic.

- Walter.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
It's literally ballooned one of the greatest gaming experiences of the last decade to 4x the size with updated visuals and the reaction is "meh I don't want to play online".

Yes, and for good reason. It could be the biggest most spectacular looking technologically advanced thing ever seen to mankind, but if it's online playing with other people, it's a hard pass for me. The online communities are so toxic full of screaming pre-teens and bigotry and hatred like you've never seen for pretty much every single online game I've ever played. Just kills any excitement or interest I have when that is announced.

TLDR; People suck.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you are playing with randos, sure. There are well regulated communities for every game that are cake to scope out and join. I've been called a cuss word once in the last 10 years and it was by a friend of my nephew and that got squared away within seconds.

Does it exist? Absolutely. But if it's the -norm- for you, something is wrong.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The issue I have with online gaming is that some people just ignore how a game is "supposed" to be played, and they will just go around and kill people just for the kicks. Even when I played TFC, there were guys that joined the game simply to just play a spy and try and backstab people because it was fun, with no regard to the team, They were playing their own game at the expense of the rest of the team. If I have to rely on strangers to help me survive in this new game, then I am out.

I hate that they have taken a potentially awesome new game I was looking forward to and making it something I will never play. I want a good story in a game. I want to be able to play a game when my internet is down. I am not interested in just running around trying to find water while avoiding the punk that thinks it is funny to run around killing people.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have never, ever had a good experience playing online gaming, except with my group of friends in the Xbox 360 days. And that was brilliant. However, since none of them no longer game....:(

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yeah, I'm also a bit disappointed that it's online. Online hasn't felt much like "gaming" to me, just my experience/opinion, but when everyone is playing to different rules, it's not really a game anymore (especially PC). You really need to pick the people according to your taste in gaming style, and I also don't know (in real life) anybody who games, or who admits it, etc.

But I'm strangely jealous of anybody who has a Pip Boy. Not that I would wear it while playing, nor the helmet, but they are kind of neat. I don't even see the Power Armor edition for sale in Canada, and Best Buy Canada says Fallout 76 can be played solo, so may be some cancelled pre-orders...

Last edited:

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Apparently, a solo game can be played but it seems the online is being touted as the one to play. I am a big fan of the Fallout series, in particular number 4. Playing on the PC allowed me to mod the game for a far more engaging experience than playing un-modded, though that was fun too. Being online, the ability to mod the game is highly unlikely. Not a deal breaker but I won't enjoy it as long as I did the fourth. In any event, I will wait for the release to see what is what.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks