What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Romeo and Juliet (1968) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
3KRqluun9quez1Wc15H7VFLYm2Y3a1_large.jpg
One of the great Shakespeare adaptations, this sublime take on the Bard’s immortal romantic tragedy by Franco Zeffirelli breathed new life into the oft-told tale by casting actual teenagers in the title roles. As the young lovers whose affair threatens to inflame the tensions between their feuding families in Renaissance Verona, Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting vividly capture the mix of adolescent ardor and turmoil that fuels their destiny-driven liaison. A sensory banquet thanks to Nino Rota’s delicate score and the exquisite, Oscar-winning costumes and cinematography, Romeo and Juliet is Shakespeare at its most deeply felt and passionately alive.

FILM INFO​

• Italy, United Kingdom
  • 138 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #1171

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
    • Excerpt from the 2018 documentary Franco Zeffirelli: Directing from Life
    • Interviews with actors Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting from 1967 and 2016
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by scholar Ramona Wray

New cover based on an original poster design by Maciej Zbikowski

February 14, 2023

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
I didn’t expect this to come from Criterion, especially with the number of Paramount/Criterion titles that have gone out of print. Regardless, Day 1 purchase!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I was the same age as the characters when this film came out, and I saw it repeatedly at the Paris theatre. I don't know whether it will hold up after 50+ years, but it should be a gorgeous looking disc.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Can't say I care for the cover on this. That poster art was a classic.

View attachment 162446
Considering what Criterion's art director did to TOM JONES among other recent abominations, this could have been much worse. Once upon a time, Criterion's covers used to be so definitive, not to mention attractive. They created a sense of anticipation, so you couldn't wait to watch the film. What happened?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I didn’t expect this to come from Criterion, especially with the number of Paramount/Criterion titles that have gone out of print. Regardless, Day 1 purchase!

Paramount probably didn't want to have to deal with the controversy of the bedroom scene with an underage Olivia Hussey. Passing it on to Criterion seems like an obvious choice to me.

And while six of their Paramount titles went OOP a year and a half ago, Criterion still has three times that many that are still in print.

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
That poster was a classic bait-and-switch to convince teenagers in 1968 the film was full of naked sex. That said, an excellent film in all ways.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The film has a wonderful score by Nino Rota. It was only recently released complete on CD.

Not quite complete, as Quartet’s press release indicated that about 12 minutes of score were lost, but that it was mostly repetitions of the Love Theme and Romeo’s Theme (the only notable cues I noticed were Romeo first seeing Juliet and the Moresca dance at the Capulets’ feast). But yes, the Rota score is wonderful and deserves to be widely available.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I should hope this new edition has the intermission, especially since the DVD had it (there it occurred after the marriage, which ended the second act of the play).

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
New 4K digital restoration
My initial reaction was somewhat tempered by the above statement. Does anyone know the source for this ‘4K digital restoration’?

Does this mean a recent digital cleanup of the existing master, or touchup after a new 4K scan of film elements?

If the latter, then does anyone know which elements were used and in what shape?

Or, maybe it means something else altogether.

Can anyone here please shed further light?

LCD22

Screenwriter
I was supposed to see this film in high school, but later saw it (only once) on TCM. I did like the '68 version and have been wanting to see it again due to all the interest surrounding this getting a Blu-ray release - especially from Andrew Budgell. (Thanks Andy!) Rick Steves shot an episode in Verona years ago that also contributed to it.

The fact it is Criterion is great news!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ha! Just after I finally stopped waiting and bought the iTunes digital a short while ago when it dropped to $5 again. Wonder if they might offer (free) upgrade to 4K for the iTunes digital since there might be an otherwise unused 4K master -- Paramount does sometimes do that despite no 4K disc release...

Regardless, very nice to see a Criterion release, hopefully saving us from Paramount's very inconsistent (or perhaps, too consistently mediocre-to-awful), much-too-often controversy-filled attempts wrt pre-Y2K catalog titles...

_Man_

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
What's with that cover design?!? I do NOT like it, so this is a hard pass.

NOT!!!

I've been waiting forever for this to come out on Blu, and that it's coming from Criterion is a bonus. It could have an all-white cover with black stencil lettering and I'd still buy it--the movie is what counts.

Was hoping for more supplements, including a commentary track, but this is still a DEFINITE purchase for me!

Coming out on Valentine's Day. Not exactly the feel-good love story for such an occasion... 🙂

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Considering what Criterion's art director did to TOM JONES among other recent abominations, this could have been much worse. Once upon a time, Criterion's covers used to be so definitive, not to mention attractive. They created a sense of anticipation, so you couldn't wait to watch the film. What happened?
"Abominations" is kind of harsh. They may not be your cup o' tea but some people like them. I like the new R/J. If Paramout released it, you'd get the poster art. A Criterion cover is singular and stands apart from the crowd. Most blu ray covers are just repurposed key art (like is the new "statement" cover of the new definitive Casablanca inspired?) It's bland, graphically uinteresting, lowest common denominator crap. Occasionally you get some witty, steel book or minimal movie poster designs from the major labels. I think you are in the minority opinion here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks