What's new

Fallout 76 (Bethesda) - 11/14/2018 (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Sam has just confirmed my biggest fear in his post. Getting killed by other players is going to be downfall of this game.

I am boycotting this game. I hate that they are making it multi-player only (basically).
I think they will eventually give it a stripped down basic single player mode. Once they find out that a lot of fallout players don't buy in to the multi-player being forced down our throats, they will "tweak it". But if it is just running around looking for holo-tapes, it isn't really a story. It is a cheap cop-out.

I am sure this was purely a money saving tactic. No NPCs and No Story is a whole lot cheaper to make.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't think so on any of that @Scott-S

It's too early to say if the risk/reward for PKing is set right. I expected a few folks to experiment with it to see how it works. I was not bothered by that. I also expected a few sociopaths to test the limits. The guy who was harassing me was a bother. I set a bounty on him and never saw him again.

I think this will be a very boring single player game. It's completely designed for multiplayer. I do not expect to see any single player modes tho maybe the private servers will work out that way for some.

There will not be enough holdouts to make them change anything. If you are set against it pick a different game and move on with your life.

The holotapes were way more detailed than most NPC lines. They aren't saving any money there. It's a design choice not cost cutting..

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Guess we will have to wait and see. The simple fact that a random person can kill you means that there will be a lot of trolls playing just because they think it is funny tto ruin other peoples games.

I Loved Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4 and was looking for the next fallout game, but this is not a fallout game. They should have given it a different name if they wanted to change the entire gameplay.

I am mad because this new game probably means I wont see another true Fallout game any time soon.

I don't get why you think that people who liked Fallout 4 will like this new game. I would think that a lot of people liked the single player aspect and do not like multi-player only games. That is just my opinion of course.

Just out of curiosity, when you got trolled and killed, did you loose all your gear/ammo/money etc?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't get why you think that people who liked Fallout 4 will like this new game.

Because I like Fallout and I liked this experience so far?

I would think that a lot of people liked the single player aspect and do not like multi-player only games. That is just my opinion of course.

You have a very specific vision of what makes Fallout Fallout that is not shared by Bethesda or any of the millions who have preordered 76.

Just out of curiosity, when you got trolled and killed, did you loose all your gear/ammo/money etc?

I don't remember. I jumped off a bridge and took a few other deaths to try that mechanic out and had to do a corpse run. Don't recall if I had to for the PK. I didn't lose any armor or weapons when I did the corpse runs, but as I said I stupidly went out exploring with much of my ammo in my chest.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree my vision of Fallout is based only on New Vegas and Fallout 4.This new version seems like they are trying to be Fortnight or Call of Duty. It feels almost like selling out to me. I guess we will see how it pans out.

Are the Holo-Tapes text or recorded voice?

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Fallout series is definitely one of my favorites. I too am not excited about the online only play but will wait and see the finished product. The replay ability, at least for me, is due to the modding that could be done on previous games (PC version). It seems modding will be supported for private servers only which may hamper the experience. I hope this paradigm doesn't change the original single player formula for future Fallout games. When one has a winning strategy, it is foolish to change it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The replay ability, at least for me, is due to the modding that could be done on previous games (PC version).

Even though I did a number of un-modded replays of Fallout 3 & Skyrim on XBOX 360, I would agree that modding (later on PC and XBOX ONE) really breathes a lot of life into the Bethesda games and adds quite a bit to the role-playing and consequently replay ability of these titles.

I'm not sure about the ins and outs of modded Fallout 76. I know that Bethesda says mod support is coming for Fallout 76 but I am curious how it will work in a multi-player game. (Everyone will have the same pool of mods, or perhaps it will be specific to each player? It seems like environmental and perhaps game mechanic mods would have to be shared, but would individuals have access to specific armor / weapon mods for their character?)

Curious to see how that pans out.

- Walter..

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Some initial impressions regarding camp building, courtesy of YouTube...

( I like the revised menu structure and the blueprint concept. Not crazy about some of the placement limitations although I'm sure that will change or be modded eventually. )

- Walter.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
UPCOMING FEATURES AND FIXES – NOVEMBER 2018

Since Vault 76 opened to the world in B.E.T.A. and official launch, we’ve loved reading about your adventures and seeing your incredible photos from all over Appalachia. With launch day behind us, we’re now looking toward the immediate future for Fallout 76 and what that means for both the short and long term. Before we get to new content and other additions, we want you to know that we have seen your feedback, taken note of issues, and value the time you have taken to provide your thoughts and report problems.

So first and foremost, we have our first patch coming Monday, November 19 – and while this update has many performance fixes and optimizations in it, we know some of your biggest requests, including an increased Stash Limit and several PC Quality of Life adjustments, are not included in this update. These features are coming in the next several weeks.

Our plan is to update the game on a regular basis with patch notes that detail what we are addressing with each update. If that changes, we’ll let folks know as things may shift as we need to balance adding features with server stability and maintenance. Following our post on Reddit, here’s the latest on where we are with our next updates.

UPCOMING FIXED BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR

November 19 Patch - The next update will focus primarily on game performance and stability on all platforms but will also come with a list of fixes to quests, UI, C.A.M.P.s, and more. Patch notes will be available early next week. This update will be large compared to what we expect for patches going forward. Regular updates will always vary in size, but future updates should be much smaller in comparison. Stash Limit Increase – We hear you loud and clear. We will be increasing the stash limit in the coming weeks. The current limit is there for technical reasons, to cap the number of items the game is tracking in the world, including every container and stash. We believe we have some ideas in both the short- and long-term that will address the size without risking stability, but this is one we need to take our time on to make sure it is done right. Push to Talk for PC – After listening to all of your concerns, we have made progress on getting this into the game and it will also be included in an update in the next few weeks. Ultrawide Support – 21:9 support will be coming soon. We have seen it in testing and it looks awesome. FOV Slider for PC – We know this is popular request for our PC players— look for an FOV slider soon. As always, we strive to make Fallout 76 a better experience and value all your feedback and reports of issues on reddit, Twitter, our official forums and other places.

LOOKING AHEAD TO 2019

We teased in our launch letter some of what’s to come next. In addition to constantly making fixes and changes, there will be new content and game systems that add to the life and experiences in Appalachia. We’ll see new Vaults opening, new ways to easily improve your C.A.M.P.s, ways to create, team-up, and faction-based PvP, and many more free add-ons we haven’t talked about yet. In addition, you will see articles each week that highlight new events, content, and features we’re excited to share. We look forward to growing Fallout 76 with you.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is the best advice I have read.
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9ygfae/solocasual_guide_and_tips/

Hi, fellow wasteland wanderers. Just wanted to share some tips and bits from my solo wandering

before the wall of text, in my opinion, there's 3 main enemies/difficulties in the game, which are essential to note before sharing any guidelines.

Your 3 real/biggest enemies are:

- Weight limitations (enemy1)
- Crafting and Repair material costs (enemy2)
- Select few overleveled Creatures (enemy3)

So you see, my difficulties are pretty weird and if you're follow somet tips, these 3 will pretty much be the only harder obstacles to tackle and there's some remediation against these. Anything else will be a cakewalk anyway.

I'm not going to delve to very basics, but explain some in higher detail.

Melee is your friend:

At lower levels (sub 15), apart from first few shots from afar, just go in and hack 'em dead. It's just way more effective and faster. Incoming damage is low (more on that later), stims are plenty. Yes, your melee weps will break often without makeshift warrior perk, but it's super easy to find replacement and pretty much any will do. I'd say medium/1-handers is a better choice at first, as it's much easier on the weight (enemy1) and still hits hard. It's maybe wise to carry 2 melee weps in case one breaks, but that's about the only inconvenience.

There's very few upgrades for melees available in general, exept few special mods you need to find anyway, and melee in requires very little maintenance. Packs a punch, is easy on the carry weight and needs little to no maintenance. win-win-win.

And the other way round, later in the game, many enemies become bullet sponges, so melee starts to be a thing again, especially with your PowerArmor high damage resistance. Mano-o-Mano with a deathclaw or ScorchBeast is very much okay. It's easy to tank it. Get Charisma upto 4 points and use 3-level Lone Wanderer. One of the best solo cards out there.

Food is Good:

Cooked food and soups provide very decent bonuses without any downsides, so instead taking it as a nuisance, embrace it and start eating! You don't need +30% food or water perk in the useless Endurance perk tree. Just try to use each different food item at once to stack bonuses and remember the best items. Go hunt some radstags or more rats or mongrels. they are easy to kill . Don't fear the rads, it's a non-issue, especially with PowerArmor. Booze is less good, as it often carries downsides or addiction. Make tea instead from flowers and there's abundance of purified water to find too.

Scrap lots of guns:

the moment you start to get Gun drops, collect them and scrap. In Fo76, most of the craftable mods are unlock gated, so try to scrap as much as possible to unlock mods. As you stop seeing unlocks for particular, then you can stop collect-scrapping this gun. But a note, i'm not sure whether this is Enemy Level OR Gunsmith perk level gated, there are further unlocks. For example, long recon scope unlocked far later for me, but i'm not sure how exactly. Some guns will have lots of unlocks, but some will not.

Sneak Rifling is still a thing:

.308 is probably the most abundant ammo in the game and hunting rifles are abundant too, including already a decent pimped up ones. You'll certainly find a few "hardened" or "marksman" ets snipers and it's a treat to use. Just unlock a suppressor (afaik, needs level 2 gunslinger, so pretty early in the game) and fire away from a distance. Level up your "Sneak" (level 20+) perk for greater benefits. Any other perks don't have much use (mr sandman, ninja, covert ops), but base crouch and pop some suppressed headshots still works wonders. Thins the ranks very well and does insane amount of damage. Very effective against high level creatures and saves a ton of ammo. Feels a bit slow gameplay, but that's SOLO for you anyway. Fallout4 Sneak/melee is sadly history, i just don't see it any viable, the super-duper dmg multipliers and rooted/blitz-OP aren't there any more.

PowerArmor for the masses:

IMHO, there' really no point for being "naked", besides cosmetic and craft inconvenience, but you can always exit PA, take your pics or do your crafts and carry on. PA is just plain better in every department. No waste of "damage reduction without PA" perk cards, little to no maintenance and even a bare chassis is better than full (even upgraded) armor anything less than level 15. You get your STR boost for melee and carry weight. And you get your Rad resistance, so you can collect water and eat all food while in PA (even just a bare frame), You'll take less rads! The moment you find a single piece of PA armor you can equip, your DR will be higher than full armor and you can forget about rads altogether. I literally scrapped all armor, my Armor tab weight less than 1 and that's only because my Garb of Mysteries! PA condition degrades very slowly, doesn't need any specific modding unless very late in the game and with few additional pieces you're a walking tank, so you don't need to kite and can go full on melee even against strongest of opponents. Get a helmet for Fire Breathers last quest.

Just repair once (not that costly, if you're careful with weapons tinkering) and it'll carry you for many levels or until you find a higher level version. Example, i repaired my T45 helmet at level 30, now i'm at 43 and it's still going (haven't found a better version yet, else is all lvl40 T60). PA takes away any body armor crafting/repairing and it really helps against crafting costs. protip: when you get to the top level of Top of The World, you'll find a magazine that lowers your repair cost by 50%. Time it with your PA and mid-game rifle repairs and you'll save a TON of mats.

Current version has a favorable bug with Fusion Cores. If you Fusion Core is running low, just leave the game and enter again, your core will be fully maxed! Later on, you'll be swimming in cores and just dropping-leaving them because of their high weight.

If you find a PA with higher level pieces, that you want to keep for the future.

- transfer items to your inventory except Power core from newfound PA.
- Leave current Power Armor frame if you already have one.
- Enter new PA frame and exit it again.
- Transfer those overlevel items back and "COLLECT" option your new frame again (or wait until it'll return to your inventory automatically).
- You can enter your old frame again.

This will store all the new pieces, for just a weight of the frame itself (10 lbs). Then you can store it in CAMP or carry it or whatever. Find a new or missing pieces? Do it again. I had i think 5 different frames with different pieces at one time, until i didn't need lower level pieces (raider or lower level pieces) any more and scrapped most of the stuff.

No tinkering with guns too often:

Don't try to upgrade each and every gun each time it has a higher level version. It'll just introduce You to your enemy nr 2 and introduce it the hard way. Honestly, there's little point to change your pimped up level 10 hunting rifle for level 15 variant. There's just a little bit of damage upgrade, but that's it. Keep it at least 10 levels difference, if not more.

You can upgrade one SPECIAL stat and pick another's card:

It's not very intuitive, but it's a possibility. On PC, after you pick a wanted SPECIAL stat you want to raise, use Z/C to scroll horizontally for a different SPECIAL skill card. For example, Intelligence is one of the stats, where there's really many cards you want to have, but you don't really need to have very high SPECIAL stat (you'll be fine with 7-8, but no need for 10+), while stats like Strenght or Agility have higher "passive" use. You can switch perk cards, craft weapons or and then switch back for example. Or for example, equip hacker cards, unlock that high level terminal and unequip again for something else. It may seem useful to run Gunsmith and/or Makeshift Warrior to make weapons break less often.

Shotgun funzies:

Don't go deep into shotguns until level 30. You can use it at a bit, as shells are easy to find, but don't spec into it yet. At level 30, Agility perk card "Enforcer" unlocks and it's probably the most OP perk in the game IMHO. It's just disables many enemies. That level 40 Super Mutant or a Glowing One? Shoot him in the legs and watch him kneeling helplessly in front of you, waiting to be punched to death. Alpha Hermit Grab was like "F*** off, i'm out" and literally crawled away towards the woods me chasing him (not the otherway round). Snallygasters or Anglers or Guplers? Who cares. Deathclaws become Crawl-to-Deaths. Level "Enforcer" Up, get a combat shotty, mod it for faster fire, easier hipfire or less recoil and that's it. Your shotty doesn't need to be high level or high damage output. It's there for utility, but it's just bonkers good. Few enemies seem to be immune or not exacly crippled, but it's small issue. protip: crippled enemies and mines go hand in hand!

Don't fight overlevel creatures:

Few levels over you is fine, but don't go fighting level 50 Mirelurk Queen, when you're 25. Sure, you can win it. I downed a scorchedbeast at 26, when it attacked my base. But the amount of time and effort and wasted ammo is just not worth it. There is defintely level penalty for higher level enemies and at some point, it's so severe that your guns will seem like a small tickle. Leave them for later, then they're not nearly as "spongy" as before.

Save your DPS Ammo for lategame:

Later on, higher level dudes and creatures will have very high health pools and bullet sponging is inevitable. Especially autofiring guns (assault or handmade rifles especially, even if they start to drop quite late) will chew ammo for breakfast. They do good damage, but still consume a lot of ammo. So, my advice, save .45 and 5.56 for later use and for bigger creatures when you reallu need it. Use melee or .44 and definitely use .308 as your sniper ammo. With "Enforcer", disable enemy and just kill it with least useful ammo (i keep a .44 revolver just for that, it's low weight and high power, but cumbersome to use against fast enemies). Might even carry a 10mm or laser pistol for that.

ChemFree when "young":

Chems do provide meaty bonuses, but are quite difficult to micromanage and have many drawbacks. Use few selected occasionally, like berry mentats before vendoring for that expensive plan etc. Just sell (if you can find a vendor with caps available) all the chems you find and don't spec into it before level 43+ (Chem resistant in endurance tree). Chems tend to really stack up the weight, so for the most part, forget them in early/mid game. Also, PowerArmor pretty much takes care of the rads, so you don't need to pick up radaways any more. You'll get few from Quest rewards and that's more than enough. Rad-X is also little use with PowerArmor. Stimpacks also tend to bunch up with being PowerArmor tank, so keep a check on your inventory.

"Gift" something instead of "Drop".

Many times you'll find no vendor with caps to sell your unwanted stuff. Until you're on server, items dropped on the ground (paperbag) persist. So instead of dropping stuff in the wild, free Fast Travel to Vault 76 door and drop your stuff on the floor. Fellow beginner might come out and have some free goodies for a start! I drop all my radaways and stims and unwanted chems there that i cannot vendor.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
More good advice, might be spoilerish
Things I have Learned at Levels 30-40

renderTimingPixel.png

This list is from a non-powergaming, solo-hermit, sneak sniper build. I had a post for things I wish I knew when I started and this is more of a personal perspective list with some tips others might find interesting as I went through levels 30-40.

• Excavator Power Armor is a god-send for its +100 carry weight, I never used PA in past FO games and as soon as the Stash limit is raised I will likely go back to playing without it but this PA is so worth it http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Excavator_power_armor
    • Even if you don't want the armor, completing this quest nets you a Power Armor Station Plan

• Flag Black Titanium Scrap, Gears and Springs in addition to Aluminum (Springs Especially)

• Kill Molemen for Ti and smack your forehead when you find out Clipboards have Springs

• Fusion Cores are abundant in the Ash Heap area and as long as you don't sprint a lot, they drain pretty slowly without any Perks
  • Farms and other locations at the top of mountains have monsters WAY above the area average
    • They are often uncommon for the area too, like Gulpers or Snallygasters in the Savage Divide

• The loot they drop is usually very good, even if it isn't Legendary you will find rare weapon and armor types

• This has been true 5 out of 5 times at different areas in the Forest and Savage Divide
  • Capture every workshop you come across and double dip XP with the first wave of attackers that come right after
    • It is up to you if you want to PVP for claimed workbenches but I pass on any Workshop someone has placed equipment at

• If you are just exploring the fast travel network you build is great for popping around to get nearer an unexplored location and if you drop a stashbox at every one, even if you lose it that Stashbox stays

• With about 4-5 workshops you can end up in a defense cycle which is just an XP fest but can kill any other progress you may want to make that session
  • If you are a gunsmith and you have a boat load of .38 rounds, make a high level pipe machine gun and go crazy mopping up old low level events you may have missed
    • Took me a few hours to blow through 2000+ rounds of .38 ammo but it was a lot of fun

• Against some 35-40 level opponents the fully kitted level level 30 pipe machinegun did surprisingly well without any perks, dropped a level 40 Glowing Wendigo with it just about as easily as if I was using my go to cq combat shotgun
  • Super Mutants = $$$
    • Every super mutant drops 1-3 caps. Every. Single. One.

• If you end up in a workshop defense cycle, rejoice when you see Super Mutants because you can guarantee at least 40 caps per wave

• If you like explosives they drop Frags, Molotovs and baseball grenades at an extraordinary rate too
  • Use Photomode to chronicle your lonely, lonely existence (this one is just my personal preference)

• I have a pic that I went back and took at the end of Mistress of Mystery quest line that cracks me up every time I see it on my loading screen

• So far photomode poses are the only things I think are worth spending Atoms on in the Atomic Shop and they are things only I can see!
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9yjdm0/things_i_have_learned_at_levels_3040/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks