What's new

Equalizers and the Pioneer 1014 (1 Viewer)

RobertJohn

Auditioning
I am seriously considering buying the 1014 after reading all of the rave reviews here. But I have one question. My main front left and right speakers are vintage Mcintosh ML-2M's with two 12" woofers in each. The speakers are designed overdamped, and needed to be used with an equalizer having about 10db to 12db of low frequency boost.
I am presently running a parametric equalizer through the tape monitor in/out jacks of an older Onkyo receiver. Two questions come to mind: (1) Will this same hookup work with the Pioneer 1014 ? (2) Does the built in individual channel equalizer on the Pioneer have enough boost to make this unnecessary ?
Thanks in advance for any help.
BobB

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The EQ settings on the 1014 are 40/125/250/4k/13k. The 40hz isn't adjustable manually, only by the MCACC. And the boost for all is +-6 db.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The short answer is “probably not.” Even if the Pioneer has a tape monitor loop (which it probably doesn’t) it would only function with analog sources, not 5.1 Dolby Digital. In other words, no EQing for DVD’s.

However, if the Pioneer has pre-out and main-in jacks for the front L/R channels, you could patch your equalizer in there and it would work with all programming, both analog and digital. If this is as important to you as I think it is, you might want to make sure whatever receiver you settle on has those in and out jacks.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks