Need receiver that will accept an equalizer.....which one?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by SteveSpoon, Nov 23, 2005.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

As much as I'm ready to upgrade my old Technics SA-DX950, it does have one thing that I like, and that's a tape monitor loop to accept my equalizer.

What other receivers out there will do this? I would like to purchase the Pioneer 1014 or 1015.....will these do what I want? Thanks.

Steve

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Tape monitors have pretty well been done away with, Steve, since they aren’t compatible with modern digital sources.

Receivers these days have two fully independent signal paths, analog and digital. Tape monitor loops are analog. The problem is, if you want to use a digital source, like a DVD player, you’ll get no audio if the tape monitor is engaged. I imagine there were lots of returns from people who thought their new receiver was defective. It’s not a great loss anyway, since few people make audio recordings through their receiver anymore.

If you have the DVD player’s L/R RCA jacks connected as well as the digital, the receiver will default to Dolby Pro-Logic when the tape monitor is engaged. So you can’t use the equalizer anyway, assuming you want to watch your movies with Dolby Digital.

However, if all you want to do is equalize music, you can always connect it between the CD player and the receiver – via analog connections of course.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Any amp with pre-out and pre-in jacks could work but there is very little need for an equalizer on modern amps. Most decent amps will have internal adjustments to match speaker response and some will allow you to create profiles that allow different settings for different inputs. Dolby and other compensation circuits will do a better job on tape reproduction than fiddling with an equalizer (my personal opinion only). Is there some particular reason you feel the need for an equalizer?

4. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I feel an external equalizer gives a lot of extra "ooooopmh" to my music. My old SA-DX950, for all that it is (or isn't), does allow me to to equalize my music (CD). I like that. I feel the equalizer just adds a lot of "flavor" to the music experience.

But then again, you're talking to a guy who still has his Yamaha M-80 and C-80 around!!!! [​IMG]

Thanks.

Steve