YPAO vs MCACC

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Patrick-J, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

I'm going to be replacing a 5+ year old Yamaha Receiver with something new. I've narrowed my purchase decision to the Yamaha RXV-657 or the Pioneer VSX-1015. One of my primary reasons for this upgrade, in addition to all the usual new receiver goodies, is having an automatic speaker setup. My current HT room is less than ideal. Both the room and speaker position are awkward.
    I did some forum research and noted that some of the earlier lower-end Yamaha units didn't do Equalization as part of their auto speaker setup. I appears from skimming through the 657's manual that it and the 757 models now do EQ where the previos generation 650,750? did not. So now for my questions.

1) Is there now a fundamental difference between the YAPO setup on the 657 and the MCACC setup on the Pioneer?

2) Would anyone like to give an opinion on these two receivers. Please only do so if you've actually listened to both or the previous model. We've all heard enough "My friend bought a brand X receiver, and it died the next day" stories, no offence.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Yammie because I have one, and I like the sound and the interface. I've never been able to listen to a Pioneer in a good enviroment. But I'm am intrigued by the weight, and the reputation the 1014 had for having a good amp section.

Thanks

Patrick

2. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering these two recievers as well,

As far as I can tell, the yamaha and pioneer both have 5 band equalizer's while the yamaha rxv-757 has a 7 band equalizer. Can someone explain the difference? Also, the pioneer has more rated wattage, but not that that matters lol.

Edit: The pioneer 1015 has 1 more component in, while the yamaha rxv-657 has 1 more s-video in

Jay

3. JohnCZ

JohnCZ Stunt Coordinator

I have the Pioneer 1014. I had the Yamaha 1400, Onkyo 602 & the Pioneer 1014 on my short list. I heard each of them but unfortunately each in a different store. I liked them all. The only reason I got the Pioneer was price. There was a good opportunity and I took it. No regrets.

As for the technical differences between YAPO & MCACC. I don't know the precise details, just this. I have tried both. Both work great. Once I do the intial setup, I alter it. Its not that the setup is wrong, just that I like more action coming from my surround and rear channels.

IMO stick with Yamaha. If you like the sound of your Yamaha then the 757 will keep you happy. If your budget can handle it, also look at the Yamaha 1500. A lot of good comments have been written about the 1500.

4. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

wait till the power goes out with the pioneer not trying to bash it just save people money.

5. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to pull the trigger on the Pioneer 1015. the RXV-1500 was out of my price range, and I decided to try something new.

6. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

awesome, please let me know what your impressions of it are. also, where did you buy it from? thanks

Jay

7. Patrick-J

Patrick-J Agent

I picked it up through Etronics, should arrive next week. I'll let you know how it goes.