Specific questions about Pioneer VSX-1014

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Becker, Mar 5, 2005.

1. John Becker

John Becker Auditioning

1. I still play my records a lot, so I need a phono input. The Sound and Vision 2005 Buyer's Guide says this model has one. When I looked at a display unit in a store, I sure didn't see it. I looked at all the connectors on the back, and also at the controls and display. Is it possible to connect a turntable or not?

2. My speaker system is the dBX Soundfield One, which requires the use of a proprietary dBX equalizer, normally connected through the tape monitor or processor loop. This system hasn't been on the market for years, but the Bose 901 system also has a proprietary equalizer which hooks up the same way. Again, I didn't see how to hook this up from looking at the display unit. Is this possible?

If the VSX-1014 doesn't have these capabilities, what other home theater receivers should I be considering? My price range is up to around $700. Thanks!

2. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

The 1014 has no phono preamp input. There are various small units made for this at any where from $10. and up. Or, you could use an old preamp you might have around for this. Once set, you could have it turn on and off with the switched 120v. outlet. I don't think you will find another receiver with phono inputs. Why pay more for an inferior reciever when the 1014 offers more features and performance than anything in its price range?

The equalizer can be put in the tape monitor loop just as on any other receiver. This should take care of your two main speakers. The receiver will equalize all speakers to your main speakers if you use the automatic MACC with microphone included.