What's new

Eggshell paint, what is it? (1 Viewer)

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
I know a few of you out there have used eggshell paint for finishing enclosures. I'm not familiar with it, can someone please explain?

Thanks,

-EJ

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Eggshell paint is just a "texture" of paint. Essentially, the paints are categorized and sold with the following textures:

- Flat

- Eggshell

- Satin

- Semi-Gloss

- High Gloss

Eggshell got its name because it looks like an egg shell after it dries.

I'll post some other tips in a few minutes, but let me know if you have any additional questions.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

If you are going to be brush painting your enclosures, ensure that you condition your paint before applying it. One such product is Floetrol and is sold in quart-size containers at Home Depot and Lowe's for about $4.00. The container of conditioner is enough to condition a few gallons of paint. The conditioner does not dillute the paint, but makes it easier to work with. I recently used this product while refinishing some furniture with paint and the paint turned out very good - much better than if I had utilized just the paint alone.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say gloss, satin, egg shell etc are more of a sheen not a texture. It's how shiny the paint is when dry.

Some places use satin and egg shell interchangebly.

From Wayne's list, bottom up is easy of cleaning too. High gloss is much easier to clean than egg shell. That's why most kitchens and bathrooms are semi-gloss or high-gloss and most others rooms are egg shell.

Textures would be how smooth or rough the surface is when dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks