Sonosub paint options

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robin Smith, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Sep 27, 2000
    I am almost at the "putting it altogether" phase of my first DIY sonosub. I am wondering what paint options people have used.

I have MDF endcaps with 1/4" roundover on the exposed parts. I am interested in a black finish.

Does MDF paint well with a brush, or do I really need to go spray? I live in a new construction nieghborhood and don't really want to be spraying in my driveway with all the dust thats around. Spraying in my garage with the door closed is also not a good idea.

I like the look of the piano-like finishes but not the effort.

Do I want to go flat, eggshell or highgloss paint? Should I do a final coat of lacquer-like stuff to protect the paint?

I am interested in what various people have done and how satisfied they have been with the results. This stage could have a big impact on the already sketchy SAF so its important!

Robin Smith
  2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

Sep 24, 2000
    flat, egg, or gloss? only you can decide that.
    sketchy SAF? chance to score points CANT go wrong here if you let her decide [​IMG] score more points by matching the decor of the room.
    practice different looks on some scrap.
  4. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Mar 22, 2001
    You can paint MDF easily if primed. It soaks up paint like a sponge. Get a can of spray primer and the paint of your choice. Easy to do and it won't make a mess like you think unless you go psycho w/ the can. Just use a large drop cloth and spray when there is no wind.

You can get a very good lookning high-gloss piano like finish w/ glossy Rustoleum.

You can do much more than that and get even better results but you'll spend a lot of time sanding and painting and buffing. Try it on some scrap as suggested. Spray paint is cheap so if you don't like it you're only out $5.