What's new

Screen Paint Color (1 Viewer)

MarkInKC

Grip
I know, I know, I should buy a screen and not project the image onto the wall, but for right now ($$) it's not an option....

I will be ordering my PannyAE700 on Monday, and throwing about 17' giving me about 110", sitting 15-17' away, with virtually 0 ambient light. Now, I have read (and maybe I'm wrong) that grey screens can be better than white in some cases and prodcue a cleaner image. So I am thinking about painting the wall a light grey with an eggshell finish. I thought about semi-gloss, but thought that might be too reflective and cause the image to look washed out. What do you think?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
never use gloss, always use a flat or maybe eggshell. Gray screens will not produce a "cleaner" image, but they are less reflective, which will lower the brightness of your image. People use them to improve their black levels with digital projectors by lowering the brightness of the image via the screen, which is better than using an ND filter at the projector in terms of ANSI contrast etc. Your whites of course, will be impacted equally.

Chris Bruner

Auditioning
Spend the bucks for a real screen. Its like shoes and shoestrings. You'll need all lumens you can get without killing contrast - go to Carada Screens web site. Great People and advise, tell em I sent you.

Real Name
Jeff Shultz
I bought projector screen fabric, 100 by 80 inches for 50 bucks, mixed a gray blend of paint for 20 bucks and sprayed the screen. It works pretty good. I have a Epson powerlite 720. 8000:1 contrast. This light gray screen works excellent. good enough for now. 'till I can buy a HD proj.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The only problem with projecting on a wall is that surface imperfections become noticeable and annoying after you watch a few movies.

A chosen paint color and kind will behave the same way on a wall as on screen fabric.

Brian.R

Grip
Real Name
Brian Rieck
I used 1/4" hardboard and crown molding to make my screen. It's 110". I did have to cut the last foot or so off the 4x8 sheet and add it to the bottom to make something more like 5x7" (I don't remember the measurements exactly ... can get it if you need). Used bondo to make that joint smooth and then Behr Silver Screen from Home Depot. I believe it's flat. Works very well and only cost about $50.

Here are 2 pics ...

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator

Agreed, the Carada screens arent that expensive compared to most. If Carada is out of your price range check out Elite screens.

Real Name
Tim
I've got a 100" Elite Screens. I had to spend a little extra to go with a pull up model since I'm sharing my family room as my theater until we move into a bigger house. Total cost was $199, but you can get a 100" pull down for $99 (or used to as I haven't priced them since I got mine two years ago.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks