Ebert tells it like it is...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean Kousoulas, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

From Ebert's "Movie Answer Man" column

Q. I would like to "commend" Wal-Mart on their new DVD releases. There is a shiny, silver sticker that reads: "Special Limited Release! Formatted to fit your TV! No black bars on top and bottom!" It's bad enough that these morons disfigure artwork, but now they're using their ignorance as a marketing pitch!

Lee Stringer, Brampton, Ontario

A. In a few years Wal-Mart will be selling wide-screen TVs, and their customers will be bringing in those DVDs and demanding a refund because there are black bars on the left and right.

(Although it is mostly Fox who is putting the stickers on, Wal-Mart makes an effort to stock these over widescreen)

Dean

2. Michael St. Clair

I only wish he were correct. They'll simply stretch the panned-and-scanned image to fill the wide screen and be as happy as clams.

3. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

While I understand Michael what you are saying and I can find the humor in that...if such was the case, they could go ahead and do that already on the widescreen releases that are out instead of bitching about them.

The biggest problem is...the only buttons most of these folks know on a remote is the power button.

4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Has anyone seen the stickers in question?

I've been to Wal-Mart many times and have never seen that on a full frame disc.

Sounds like an urban legend Ebert fell for.

5. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

There are stickers like this. The full screen version of Sound of Music had one on it, and I saw that at Best Buy.

6. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

UNFAITHFUL had one too. NO BLACK BARS!!!
    UGH.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

8. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I see them all the time. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Dean

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I can see it happening, but he didn't go far enough. There won't be any refund because they are more than 30/whatever days old.

They'll take them back home and start counting. Oh, are they going to be pissed!

Glenn

10. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Want a more horrifying thought? These people will see that their entire collection of NO BLACK BARS discs does have black bars on their new widescreen TVs. They then return the widescreen TVs. Companies see this, and the next thing you know the HDTV standard will include 4:3 and 480p. Doubt it'll happen, but this is America. We're not smart when taken as a whole.

11. Drew Mertz

Drew Mertz Stunt Coordinator

Thats funny that you mention that michael, I have a friend that just spent $6000 on a new TV to do just that.

12. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen the stickers, which are probably applied by either the distributor or the studio, rather than Wal-Mart. My local Wal-Mart stocks lots of widescreen films, by the way.

Charlie

13. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

14. Michael St. Clair

15. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot

16. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

The sad thing is, the local Wal-Mart has been selling a Philips widescreen HDTV for 6 months now, and I've seen the same TV in other small to mid-size town Wal-Marts as well.

The purveyor of these stickers is Fox, and they can be seen at your local Wal-Mart and Target stores. We've already given our own dear Fox rep Peter Staddon a sufficient tongue lashing for them. Turns out one of these major stores specifically requested Fox do this.

17. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

It's sad but true. I went to Smokey Bones (national chain I think, used to be Grady's, just opened here in Atlanta) recently. They have sort of a sports theme, with lots of tvs and such. Including big wide screen job (50-60 inches). I looked at it from across the room and immediately remarked "that's a stretched picture". My friends were "huh?". They were showing a 4:3 ESPN hockey game stretched to fill 16:9. It looked pretty bad to me; but no one else in the bar seemed to mind.

This is sad. In a few years even my happy hobby of DVD will be swallowed if they continue in this vein. I'll go looking for discs and find only 4:3 crap. Makers will follow the money. They won't bother making OAR/widescreen if 90%+ are happy with butchered full screen. Someone make the bad dreams go away. I'm scared now. [​IMG]

18. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

19. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Well, I'm still skeptical that widescreen TVs will ever mainstream. The only widescreens selling now are huge RPTV's or ridculously expensive flat panels. The widescreen tube is very scarce and usually small (30") and expensive.

Unless there are some huge economies of scale in plasma/LCD screens, I don't see it.

Walk into Best Buy and see rows of 4x3 HDTV's.

20. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

The other week I walked into Best Buy and right in the front of the store they had a few 16:9 HD TV's set up playing movies. I was shocked and amazed to see Harry Potter playing on one of them, the full-screen version stretched to fit the 16:9 screen. Absolutely disgusting.