What's new

Ebert tells it like it is... (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I don't think 4X3 HD sets will be the answer for the masses; since most new HD programming is presented in 16X9. Those watching HD programming on a 4X3 set will see a letterboxed image; and they won't tolerate this.

16X9 sets will become the norm, but not until more and more channels switch to broadcasting in 16X9 format. I just hope that when running *older* shows, they leave it in 4X3 and not crop it for 16X9. I don't need the Tv station deciding that I LOVE LUCY needs to be cropped..........

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Also Angel and Enterprise.
...The West Wing, and Stargate SG-1, as well as a few other SCI-FI Channel programs.

And as metioned previously, many programs are now available in High Definition with the converter too. NYPD Blue, The Simpsons, and Malcome In the Middle are a few examples...

I think we're slowly getting there!

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I don't think 4X3 HD sets will be the answer for the masses; since most new HD programming is presented in 16X9. Those watching HD programming on a 4X3 set will see a letterboxed image; and they won't tolerate this.
Then you need to also be convinced that a robust selection of HD programming would be right around the corner as well.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"Will, why would Wal-Mart do tha? It has no advantage for them. Liek you said, companies are only doing what they think is best for their shareholders. it's not like Wal-Mart has a personal vendetta against w/s."

No I don't think they would, just a hypothetical situation. Actually, I'm almost starting to warm up to Wal-Mart. Was in Circuit City and was near disgusted with the way they display their DVD Selection

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Walmart is the 500-pound gorilla in the DVD retail market. If they have enough people return or complain about widescreen DVDs with black bars, they will stock more and more fullscreen DVDs.

It's not really a hypothetical situation. The music, movie, and gaming industries have all bent over backward to accomodate Walmart. I think that it's sick that a corporation is a moral and aesthetic arbitrator, but the almighty buck takes the control out of our hands. To them, it's nothing personal, but it is economical.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Wal-Mart does set the precedent for stuff like that, but I really didn't think that they would try to destroy W/S DVDs as well. The few Wal-Marts I have been to actually do seem to give fair treatment to W/S. For example, on their racks, the dual releaes are side by side, unlike other retailers that bury W/S behind P&S, or, in those cardboard displays, stick W/S on the ass bottom. Like I mentioned earlier, I was in Circuit City and they were doing all of the above. From what I have seen, Wal-Mart has been giving almost equal treatment to W/S on at least most of the current releases.

Now, Wal-Mart is not perfect by any means, there are some titles that you would be hard pressed to find in OAR, the most glaring examples, as far as I have seen are some of those Fox titles such as "ID4" and "Office Space" etc. that were reissued as full screen, bare bones editions. I know that there were cases when they demanded that music be modified because of content. That is not right and I know some of their other practices are shady at best. I'm always conflicted by whether or not to purchase from there. Part of me thinks to avoid them because I do not agree with some of their practices. Another part of me thinks that I should buy as many OAR DVDs from them as I can. Of course I will never by any modified product from them.

But I'm not trying to turn this thread into another Wal-Mart thing. So I will leave it at this, unless people want to go over this more.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
If they have enough people return or complain about widescreen DVDs with black bars, they will stock more and more fullscreen DVDs.
Exactly! And why should this bug WS lovers? It's not like you can't get WS DVD's somewhere else. I seriously doubt that Wal-Mart is going to change the DVD market over to P&S...SERIOUSLY, don't lose sleep over it! It's NOT going to happen.

Don't let places like Wal-Mart urk you. Don't let people who don't care if thier movies are in P&S bug you. I used to do everything I could to convince my brother that WS was better but he JUST DOESN'T CARE, and I finally realized - I don't have to watch his tv, so why bother.

You're creating too much anxiety for yourselves.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I buy my DVDs online, for the most part. But I lose sleep about Walmart for a lot of other reasons unrelated to home theater.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
My local Wal-Mart (the only DVD retailer in town with decent prices) loses business from me, since they often don't stock widescreen versions when a "fullscreen" release is available. With new releases they sometimes get DVDs in both versions, but after the widescreen version is sold out they never re-order it.

I also found out recently that a fullscreen edition of Office Space exists at my local Wallyworld. Oh well, I'll buy it somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks