What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gregory's Girl -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Occasionally, with other things going on around us all, I take a bit more time to discern a new entity having entered the field of home entertainment publishing.

It wasn't that I was totally unaware of certain titles arriving, properly playable for the region here in the Colonies. Just not putting two and two together.

Now I get it.

Film Movement has taken an important position, publishing a myriad of different products, but with a certain specific area always near to me - British cinema.

I've just spend several hours taking a good look at some of their most interesting titles from the 1940s to '50s, with one from 1980 - the delightful Gregory's Girl, directed by Bill Forsyth.

The film has been available here for quite awhile, but only in Blu-ray via an import.

Film Movement's new Blu-ray solves the problem, as it does for many other UK classics.

Mr. Forsyth is a Scottish filmmaker, (Scotch is the drink) probably best known for another favorite of mine, Local Hero, with Burt Lancaster.

I'll leave it to my favorite film critic, Roger Ebert to set the stage. Be aware that you can read the entire review over at rogerebert.com

"This movie is a reminder that we tend to forget a lot of things about adolescence. For example: That it is no use telling a teenager what his faults are, because he is painfully aware of every possible fault in the minutest detail; that boys are absolutely helpless in the throes of teenage romance, whereas girls tend to retain at least some perspective; that it is an unwritten law of the universe that no sixteen-year-old ever falls instantly in love with the right person at the right time.

The movie has a lot of gentle, civilized fun with insights like that. And along the way, Gregory the stork is led on a wild goose chase with a swan at the end. The movie contains so much wisdom about being alive and teenaged and vulnerable that maybe it would even be painful for a teenager to see it; it's not much help, when you're suffering from those feelings of low self-esteem and an absolutely hopeless crush, to realize that not only are you in pain and suffering an emotional turmoil, but you're not even unique. Maybe only grown-ups should see this movie. You know, people who have gotten over the pains of unrequited love (hollow laugh)." - Roger Ebert

Film Movement's new Blu-ray is a lovely representation of the film.

My advice, especially for those who have not experienced the delights that it offers, is simple.

Grab a copy.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (2-track stereo)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Highly Recommended

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks