What's new

DVR to DVD recording questions (1 Viewer)

paul koster

Agent
I am trying to record some programs from my DVR to DVD and I have several questions that I cannot seem to find answers to.

1. Why do I need to switch my DVD player from 1080i to 480i to record? I honestly did not see that I needed to until 2 failed attempts trying to record on a DVD-RW and DVD-RAM.

2. Why even after switching to 480i I did not get anything on the DVD-RW? I do not believe that I needed to format it andthat it would record no problem.

3. Is it better to record onto a DVD-R or DVD-RAM? Is there any difference in video quality?

Thanks for any answers in advanced.
Paul

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. You are saying player? Does your DVD recorder have a 1080i setting? Or are you saying that your DVR needs to be set at 480i?
2. Was your recorder set on the correct input? My cheap model has numerous input and the correct one must be selected before the recording will work properly.
3. I choose my media based on what will play back in other DVD players. My cheap DVD player that is dedicated to recorded disc playback likes one brand of discs. I have friends with different players and each one likes different types and brands. I keep an assortment on hand and a cheat sheet so I know what disc to use.

-Robert

Dogg

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Erhardt
All that you should need to do is connect your DVR video output into the dvd recorder input. On the dvd recorder you will need to select which input it is to record (choose the input the DVR is connected to). Press play on the DVDR and record on the recorder.

As for media, quality will be the same using both types. RAM media is more expensive and will most likely only be playable in your recorder or another DVD-RAM capable recorder. If you stick with the cheaper -R media (or -RW media if you want to reuse them), they will be more compatible with other players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks