What's new

DVDs--DTS vs. extras (1 Viewer)

Readers,
As we all know some of the DVDs released in the early days of the format had 2 versions. Universal is a good example of a studio who released Collector's Editions with usually nice extras, but also had a movie only DTS version as well.
I've been thinking of getting a few of these DTS only versions and I would like some opinions. I know I can read reviews on a few websites, but I want opinions of HTF users. Some titles for consideration are 12 Monkeys, The Jackal, Apollo 13, Dragonheart, The Peacemaker. I know there are many others as well, and feel free to offer opinions on others too.
I'm not concerned between choosing between the versions--extras vs. DTS--for if I have both copies, that's fine. I just want to know if picking up the DTS versions would be really worthwhile. Thanks.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Peacemaker DD had little to no extras, as did the dts version. Dts is easier to select for this reason. I have heard people say the dts of Apollo 13 sounded better, particularly the music portions. Personally, I could not pass up the excellent extras on this title.

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO, the only must have DTS title listed there is Dragonheart. Some very directional surround audio on that disc, not to mention the score for Dragonheart is like one of the all time greats. Apollo 13 is a maybe title as I wasn't too impressed with the mix over the DD version. It could have been much better. You can pass on the Jackal DTS. The Peacemaker is better with DTS but the movie was a cookie cutter predictable movie. The audio on the two versions of 12 Monkeys is a wash. But I would recommend the DD version due to the very in depth supplement piece. But, I have heard that this movie is being rereleased as an SE with DD/DTS in the near future.

Thanks for the replys so far. Phu, I agree with you on the great musical score for Dragonheart, I really want to pick up the soundtrack.
Again, please feel free to offer opinions on other discs, not just the ones I listed. I'd like to know of other DTS discs that are worth the upgrade. Take Jurassic Park for example. I know there were problems with the first DTS pressings, but is the fixed DTS release worth it? I like DVDs for many reasons, but sound comes first for me-the main reason I began this thread. Thanks.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I second the Jurassic Park dts, as well as The Lost World. I was so glad about Universal's decision to make the box and supplemental disk 4 available witht he purchase of JPIII.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
The advantage of the early dts only titles pre Saving Private Ryan is that they were all in full bitrate DTS and the majority of the time exhibited a vast improvement over the other editions. I really wish studios would return to this format, I mean if back in the LD days they could issue seperate DD, DTS releases (not too mention P&S editions!) on what was essentially an enthusiast niche format on more expensive platters, why can't they do this on the cheaper to manufacture, mass market dvd format?

greg_t

Screenwriter
I'd love to see full bitrate DTS releases again, but I think those days are over. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what happened was that DTS actually prepared the LD and early dvd dts releases, hence the full bitrate. they then licensed their encoder out to the studios, so that the studios could prepare their own DTS tracks for dvd release. By cutting the bitrate in half, they could include both DD and DTS on the same disc and not have to have the added costs of two different pressings. So the downside is going from full to half bitrate releases. On the plus side, many hundreds of dvds now have a dts track that they likely wouldn't have if the studios still had to eat the costs of having dts prepare the track.

Good stuff guys, thanks. Dean, can you tell me which titles, pre-SPR, that had the full bitrate tracks? You've sparked my interest with that information, so now I have to hunt for these discs! Greg, I agree with what you've said. It is rather nice these days to find more DTS tracks available while still getting the extras, but something tells me I'd still rather have the full bitrate DTS, or at least have the option.
I do like extras, but it's funny how we judge releases in a big way these days depending on how many extras are on them (I'm guilty myself). But lately I've been less concerned with extras. I own plenty of discs and I find that I rarely watch extras, even though it's nice to have them. So now I'm out for the best sounding versions of the films that are available.

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
Mouse Hunt has a great DTS track. I have read numerous reports that it is substantially better than the DD version, but have not made a comparison myself.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Soundwise:

I've heard that dts Jaws is very effective.

Contrarywise, I found that dts The Mummy (ultimate-style) is not much of an improvement.

Brendon

Second Unit
I'll have to chip in with a vote for Prince Of Egypt DTS. Full bitrate, full satisfaction!

Or something...

Brendon

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
After hearing the DTS version of Blade 2, I think I just might give up some extras every now and then for a great DTS mix.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The advantage of the early dts only titles pre Saving Private Ryan is that they were all in full bitrate DTS and the majority of the time exhibited a vast improvement over the other editions.
At the time, the general agreement was that the differences were often pretty minimal. Even Widescreen Review's Gary Reber, famously pro-DTS, conceded that the first waves of DTS titles were not significantly different than their Dolby Digital equivalents and a far cry from DTS on LaserDisc.

I have several of these early discs, such as Apollo 13, Virus, Dragonheart and Dante's Peak and only Dragonheart sounds notably better than the Dolby Digital version to me. Some of the first titles, such as 12 Monkeys, The Shadow and Daylight sounded exactly the same or worse than their Dolby Digital counterparts.

I wouldn't buy any of Universal's full bit-rate DTS discs expecting major sonic improvements. DreamWorks' discs, however, such as The Peacemaker, Small Soldiers and Mousehunt are worth picking up in my opinion as they often did/do sound noticeably better.

Some of the 1509kbps DTS titles available:

12 Monkeys
Amistad
Antz
Apollo 13
Babe
Born on the Fourth of July
Dante's Peak
Dragonheart
EdTV
The Flintstone
For Richer or Poorer
Galaxy Quest
Interview With the Vampire
The Jackal
Lethal Weapon 1-3
The Little Rascals
Mercury Rising
Mouse Hunt
The Nutty Professor
Out of Sight
Patch Adams (not the Ultimate Edition)
Paulie
The Peacemaker
Primary Colors
The Prince of Egypt
The River Wild
Small Soldiers
The Thin Red Line
Twister
Virus
Waterworld

Adam

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
My dvd player does not show me the audio bitrate on dvds. So, I was wondering. Are titles like, Predator (dts) and Point Break (dts), in their full dts bitrate glory?

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
This site should help you out as far as determining bitrates for the earlier titles...
Link Removed
...but unfortunately it hasn't been updated since April.
:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks