What's new

Blu-ray Review The Birth of a Nation Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

D.W. Griffith's silent classic The Birth of a Nation is simultaneously one of the most highly regarded and most deeply reviled films in the history of cinema. As this wonderful Blu-ray presentation from Kino Lorber makes clear, the film is deserving of both the praise and the revulsion. From a cinematic standpoint, it is a landmark epic which forever changed the motion picture industry. At the same time it is one of the most offensive, racist and historically dubious films ever made - in effect, a paean to the Ku Klux Klan. For all its faults, it is essential viewing for any serious student of film.

The Birth of a Nation 

Studio: Kino Lorber
Year: 1915
Rated: Not Rated
Program Length: 192 minutes                          
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 1080p
Languages: Silent; Musical Score in DTS-HD 5.1 MA and 2.0 Stereo PCM
Subtitles: None

The Program

D.W. Griffith's silent classic The Birth of a Nation is simultaneously one of the most highly regarded and most deeply reviled films in the history of cinema. As this wonderful Blu-ray presentation from Kino Lorber makes clear, the film is deserving of both the praise and the revulsion. From a cinematic standpoint, it is a landmark epic which forever changed the motion picture industry. At the same time it is one of the most offensive, racist and historically dubious films ever made - in effect, a paean to the Ku Klux Klan. For all its faults, it is essential viewing for any serious student of film. As James H. Billington, the Librarian of Congress, put it in 1992, "Bigoted and racist as its treatment is of African Americans, The Birth of a Nation is an inescapable part of our history."

The film is based upon the 1905 novel "The Clansman" by Thomas Dixon, Jr. Dixon, an evangelist, became incensed after attending a stage production of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and vowed to write a novel which would tell "the true story of slavery and Reconstruction." The novel was turned into a stage play in 1906 and Griffith spent much of 1914 attending to the daunting task of adapting it into a three-hour feature film. Griffith was himself a southerner from Kentucky whose father had been an officer in the Confederate Army. He grew up listening to tales about the Civil War, and Dixon's novel seemed to confirm much of what he had been told. Nevertheless, an announcement at the beginning of the film demonstrates that the director knew that The Birth of a Nation would be controversial:

"We do not fear censorship for we have no work to offend with improprieties or obscenities, but we do demand, as a right, the liberty to show the dark side of wrong, that we may illustrate the right side of virtue, and the same liberty that is conceded to the art of the written word - that art to which we owe the Bible and the works of Shakespeare."

The Birth of a Nation focuses on the disastrous effects of the Civil War and Reconstruction upon two families, the Stonemans from the North and the Camerons from the South. Austin Stoneman (Ralph Lewis), clearly based upon the abolitionist Thaddeus Stevens, has become the leader of the House of Representatives as Abraham Lincoln begins his first term as President in 1861. Dr. Cameron (Spottiswoode Aitken) is a wealthy but kindly slaveholder in Piedmont, South Carolina. The eldest sons of both families, Ben Cameron (Henry Walthall) and Phil Stoneman (Elmer Clifton) attended school together and have become close friends. Ben carries with him a photograph of Phil's sister, Elsie (Lillian Gish), even though he has never had the opportunity to meet her. When Phil visits the Camerons in South Carolina he becomes smitten with Ben's older sister, Margaret (Mirriam Cooper). Ben also has a vivacious younger sister, Flora (Mae Marsh).

The racial stereotypes emerge almost immediately. It is strongly suggested that Stoneman is having an affair with his mulatto housekeeper, Lydia (Mary Alden). The slaves on the Cameron plantation are cheerful and obsequious, happily spending a two-hour dinner break from their twelve-hour work day by dancing and otherwise entertaining their owners. This romanticized view of slavery leaves no room for any nuanced examination of the "peculiar institution." The beginning of the Civil War is treated perfunctorily, with a nod to state sovereignty but no mention of Fort Sumter. Ben and his younger brothers march off to war in anticipation of glory, cheered on by whites and slaves alike. The battle scenes are brilliantly conceived and staged, and the deprivations experienced by the people of the South as the war drags on are portrayed effectively. However, we get a hint of what is to come when a company of Union "guerillas," made up mostly of black soldiers, attacks Piedmont. The black soldiers go on a rampage, ransacking the Cameron house for no apparent reason other than that they enjoy being destructive.

President Lincoln is determined to treat the vanquished Confederates with magnanimity, but those plans go for naught when he is assassinated at Ford's Theater in Washington, a scene which is re-created with astonishing realism. Stoneman seizes upon this development to consolidate power for himself and to "put the white South under the heel of the black South." Stoneman appoints his mulatto protégé, Silas Lynch (George Siegmann), to organize the freed slaves in the South and have them take over the state governments. It is during the second act of The Birth of a Nation where the film turns very ugly. Newly elected black legislators are depicted acting raucously while in session. They are portrayed drinking flasks of liquor at their desks while eating fried chicken and removing their shoes. Blacks, supposedly stirred up by the repeal of the ban on interracial marriage, are shown lusting after white women. For his part, Lynch has his eyes on Stoneman's daughter, Elsie (he tells her "I will build a Black Empire and you as my queen shall rule by my side"), and a renegade black named Gus (Walter Long) literally pursues Flora Cameron. The downtrodden whites have no choice but to fight back, and Ben Cameron is inspired to form the Ku Klux Klan. The blatant racism of the second act of The Birth of a Nation is emphasized by the fact that all of the principal black characters are played by white actors in blackface, which gives the viewer an uncomfortable feeling of watching a perverse minstrel show.

From a purely cinematic perspective, the film was an astonishing achievement in 1915 and continues to be impressive today. It is not a perfect film - the narrative meanders at times, and some scenes go on too long and would have benefited from more judicious cutting - but it remains compelling on many levels. However, there is widespread belief that The Birth of a Nation encouraged the resurgence of the Klan in the first half of the 20th century, with tragic results. As historian Leon Litwack has written, "And for much of the twentieth century, The Birth of a Nation molded and reinforced racial stereotypes, distorting the physical appearance of black men and women, making a mockery of their lives and aspirations, and fixing in the public mind the image of a race of inferiors - sometimes amusing and comical, sometimes brutal and subhuman, but in either case less than white men and women."

However one feels about The Birth of a Nation, this new release from Kino appears to be the definitive version, with original titles and intertitles and the longest running time of the film which I have seen on home video.

The Video

It is important to note that this Blu-ray has been mastered from archival 35mm elements, but those sources are nearly 100 years old and the result is not pristine. Wear is evident throughout, although in some respects this actually enhances the viewing experience because it is, after all, an artifact of a bygone era. The images contain marks and scratches, but they are generally stable and free from flutter, and the sharpness afforded by Blu-ray technology is very satisfying. The film is accurately framed in its original aspect ration of 1.33:1. Contrast is generally strong, although it goes a bit soft in places. For the most part, the outdoor scenes are tinted and the indoor scenes are in black and white. This is certainly an upgrade over the 1993 restoration, the DVD of which is included in this three-disc set.

The Audio

The wonderful score by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra is presented both in 5.1 DTS-HD MA and 2.0 PCM stereo. Both formats are excellent and choosing one over the other will depend upon personal taste. Although the score technically is new, it is adapted entirely of music from the era when The Birth of a Nation first played in theaters around the country.

The Supplements

The single Blu-ray disc contains just a few extras, but it is supplemented by a fine collection of special features on two DVDs.

The Blu-ray extras consist primarily of a spoken introduction by D.W. Griffith and Walter Huston which was produced for the 1930 re-release of The Birth of a Nation. It is rather odd, purporting to be part of a conversation between Huston and Griffith about Griffith's background and how it influenced the film. It was split into two parts, with one part shown before the opening credits and one shown before the beginning of the film's Reconstruction act. It is in excellent condition. Viewers may be dumbfounded to hear Griffith refer to the suicidal Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg as "a beautiful thing." Also included is the opening credits sequence for the 1930 re-release of the film. The packaging refers to this as an intermission sequence, but the Blu-ray's menu identifies it as the title sequence which clearly is correct.

The first DVD presents the complete 1993 restoration of the film, which has a running time of 187 minutes. This version has previously been released on DVD. It features Joseph Carl Breil's adaptation of the original score and is presented in 2.0 stereo. Also included is the 24-minute "making of" featurette which was produced in 1993.

The second DVD includes seven Civil War shorts made by D.W. Griffith in 1910 and 1911. These shorts have running times ranging from 11 minutes to 17 minutes, and it is easy to see how those experiences laid the groundwork for the shooting of The Birth of a Nation. "New York vs. The Birth of a Nation" is a revealing interactive feature which reproduces archival documents about the controversy which arose over the film's re-release in 1922. The NAACP made an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to have the film banned in New York, objecting to it as a virtual recruiting film for the Ku Klux Klan. Griffith defended by film by somewhat disingenuously arguing that the Ku Klux Klan of Reconstruction and the KKK of the 20th century were two entirely different organizations. While his argument was technically true, the distinction undoubtedly was lost on southern blacks who were the victims of KKK lynchings.

The second DVD also includes a fascinating collection of movie posters, lobby cards, still photos, and excerpts from souvenir programs. Kino Lorber also has included excerpts from Thomas Dixon's novel, excerpts which make the film almost seem enlightened by comparison. Finally, there is a reproduction of an article about the film which appeared in Photoplay magazine in 1916.

The Packaging

The three discs are securely held in a flipper Blu-ray keep case, which in turn comes in a fairly sturdy cardboard slipcase.

The Final Analysis

For all of the reasons pointed out in this review, The Birth of a Nation continues to be one of the most controversial motion pictures ever made. But however objectionable its point of view, and no matter how it distorts the history of Reconstruction, it remains one of the most important films ever made. For that reason this superb Blu-ray/DVD set from Kino Lorber is a welcome addition, and it is essential viewing for any serious student of film.

Equipment used for this review:

Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray player
Panasonic Viera TC-P46G15 Plasma display, calibrated to THX specifications by Gregg Loewen
Yamaha HTR-5890 THX Surround Receiver
BIC Acoustech speakers
Interconnects: Monster Cable

Release Date: November 22, 2011

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks for the very well written review. Its not often that a film should be praised for its cinematic achievement and reviled for its content and you did a great job of walking that fine line.

I have never seen this. I bought it years ago on LD, upgraded to the DVD, and based on your review it sounds like the BD is a worthy upgrade, so I may finally watch this...

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Adam as I have never seen Birth of a Nation, only heard about it from a controversial point of view. Really looking forward to this.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Same. Haven't seen it, either -- even though I've had the Image LD box set and the Kino DVD set that includes "Intolerance" and others for a long time. Not to mention a few other choice silents that I have likewise fully intended to -- but have not yet -- broken into. I know there's a treasure trove waiting for me, and now I must add this BD to the lot, as obviously it is the version of "Birth of a Nation" to watch. Thank you for the review!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Thanks for the very well written review. Its not often that a film should be praised for its cinematic achievement and reviled for its content and you did a great job of walking that fine line.

Adam wrote exactly what I was thinking as I read the review. Richard did a tremendous job of laying out what this film will be to 21st century viewers on the Blu-ray format. And I don't want to derail this thread with this old chestnut of a topic...but that kind of intelligent understanding of the topic on a film of this nature puts to shame Disney's reluctance to release Song of the South. And the two films aren't even close in content.

Bravo, Richard, for a substantive essay on the film and its HD presentation--one which outs the film and its content into its proper historical perspective and gives us plenty of solid information on its new release.

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
I usually find DVDBeaver's screencaps of little use, but in this case you can see the upgrade in detail even in the ill-advised way the pics are posted. I have never seen this one (but I never bought it either, unlike many others here, apparently ;)) Thank whomever pre-order price on Amazon got reasonable.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Adam wrote exactly what I was thinking as I read the review. Richard did a tremendous job of laying out what this film will be to 21st century viewers on the Blu-ray format. And I don't want to derail this thread with this old chestnut of a topic...but that kind of intelligent understanding of the topic on a film of this nature puts to shame Disney's reluctance to release Song of the South. And the two films aren't even close in content.

Bravo, Richard, for a substantive essay on the film and its HD presentation--one which outs the film and its content into its proper historical perspective and gives us plenty of solid information on its new release.

Thanks, and that is an excellent point which you make about Song of the South. I'm lucky enough to have the Japanese laserdisc. It also reminds me of how Fox bowed to pressure a number of years ago when they began airing the Charlie Chan films on Fox Movie Channel and then pulled them. At least Fox then put the Chan movies out on DVD.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Richard Gallagher's review is a fair and reasonable appraisal. Birth Of a Nation is unique in that it innovates and defines the syntax of cinema in an unwittingly racist cause. It is both a masterpiece and a disappointment. I've learned to watch it with a mixture of admiration and detestation, to paraphrase Gilbert & Sullivan. I've done some reading on Griffith and the early Biograph and I cannot decide if he wasn't trying consciously to stir up controversy that would help sell his film. There is an old saying among writers and theater people that villains don't know they're evil; they're just reaching too far, that's all. I'm no hurry to watch the Blu-ray, so I will put off buying it until I catch up with other releases. On the other hand, I just might cease and desist this collecting thing altogether.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Wasn't Intolerance Griffith's sorta film apology for having made Birth of a Nation?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by DellaStMedia

Wasn't Intolerance Griffith's sorta film apology for having made Birth of a Nation?

Not sure that it was an apology as much as it was to try silence his critics. I can remember the calls to the theatres and corp offices when Oh God, Life Of Brian, and The Last Temptation of Christ were released. They were rude, condescending and some physically threatening. I can just imagine what Griffith, the actors and theatres went through.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
DellaStMedia said:
I had always heard that about Intolerance too but, after finally watching the movie a year or so ago, I don't believe it. For one thing, Intolerance (1916) came out only one year after Birth of a Nation and, with the mammoth size of Intolerance's production, I doubt Griffith had a lot of time for soul-searching between the two. Intolerance is more of an anti-reformist statement that hits the women's reform movement--which had a lot of momentum at the time, as they pushed both for suffrage and prohibition--particularly hard. One of the more memorable title cards declares that "Once a woman's looks start to go, her mind turns to reform." In the "modern day" story, a group of wealthy women do-gooders shows up to forcibly take a poor woman's baby away while her husband is railroaded into prison and put on death row. If anything, Griffith uses Intolerance to justify the North-interfering-with-the-South viewpoint he showcased in Birth of a Nation. The "intolerance" of the title refers not to the evils of racism but rather to outsiders who think they know what's best for everybody. In each of Intolerance's story-lines, a group shows up to force their version of morality onto another society. This, Griffith argues, is what leads to all the war and misery in the world, be it through religious, political or economic persecution. While it's a perfectly valid point, it's more like Griffith was saying, "If the North had just left the South (and their slaves) alone, the war would never have happened" rather than "Sorry about the Klan, everybody."

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying. I've not seen either, but had heard on a documentary some time ago about the controversy. Part of me wants to watch these films, and the other part simply doesn't want to be bombarded by it's racist preachings.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
DellaStMedia said:
Part of me wants to watch these films, and the other part simply doesn't want to be bombarded by it's racist preachings.
If you're interested in film history -- or American history, for that matter-- definitely check them out. Given the proper context, for all their flaws, they are both very entertaining and, especially in the case of Intolerance, contain scenes of spectacle that have rarely been matched. The Babylon sets alone will make your jaw drop.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I think I've read just about every book, article, review or anything else that I can get on Griffith. I've even visited his grave a couple times. I've been lucky enough to even speak with someone in LaGrange, KY (his birthplace) who knew him. I'll touch on a few things that's been mentioned here. INTOLERANCE was already in production before any of the controversy about BIRTH began so it's pretty much impossible that Griffith was trying to apologize for the film. In fact, it's clear that he never said sorry about anything as you can see in the interview with Huston on this disc. I will defend the film to my dying day but not for a second do I think Griffith made this film to preach hatred or racial injustice. If you want to see that then read the books that the film is based on and you'll see how much was cut out for the film. If they wanted to go for simple hatred then they shouldn't have juust filmed the book. Plus, as a couple of the shorts on this set will show, he didn't show blacks as monsters in every film he did. We are talking one out of over five hundred movies. THE ROSE OF KENTUCKY shows the Klan as a bunch of worthless, evil scum. I try to get as many people to watch this film as I can but it's hard today because most people just want to view it to see the controversy. They don't care about the film, its director, how it changes history, all the ground breaking things in it or finding out the truth about it's history. There are so many lies out there about this film and so many wild myths that it's nearly impossible to find someone who wants to view it as a film. It's a freak show. It's something to see and throw rocks at. It's something to say you're sorry about The one thing I always tell new viewers about the film is that it helps to know a little bit about Griffith. If you know anything about him then you have to know that he loved and respected his father more than anyone in his life. You can see in the Huston interview as well as countless others that Griffith would wake up in the middle of the night as a child and listen to his father and his Civil War friends talk about the war, the future and their fear. I think the images in BIRTH are the stories that he heard his father and friends tell. I think that had cameras been around in the years after the war that you would have heard "stories" from Northerners about their fears and it's the ignorance and fears that are on the screen. I don't think Griffith was showing this stuff for hatred. I think he was showing images for things that Southern people fears in the years after the war. The final third of the movie is stupid, insane and I think no one in their right mind would believe such a thing. However, in the years following the war I'd say these images were believed by most if not all Southerners. Ignorance and fear can do a lot of bad things and I'm sure Griffith's father, his war vets and many others had their fear of their unknown future spilling when they told their stories and these stories were heard by a young child who was simply looking up to these men. Griffith always said that the black people in this film were not those of 1915 but those of the Civil War era. We could all debate that but to a child these stories he heard were true and these are the stories on the screen. There's a reason the movie is so far from the novels and that's because Griffith was telling his father's stories more than Dixon's. With that said, as much as I love Griffith I really do wish this film would just burn up and go away so no future people could see it. I really do wish people would stop beating a dead horse with that horse being Griffith. The man made so many other movies that it's a real shame we can't say his name without a war breaking out.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
Pre-ordered from Amazon. This will be a great replacement of the 2-VHS version I bought from Video Yesteryear in the 80's, with the Rosa Rio organ score. And cheaper... paid $69.99 plus shipping for that VHS version back then!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks