What's new

DVD Progressive Scan compatibility with HD TVs (1 Viewer)

RichardA

Agent
I previously asked about the compatibility of the TV with the progressive scan DVD player because of an article I read a while ago. I just found another reference at C/NET.

"But since this TV set outputs at 540p as opposed to straight line-doubling (480p), we recommend that you set progressive-scan DVD players to interlaced output and let the TV's internal line doubler do all the work. Otherwise, you'll wind up with clearly visible up-conversion artifacts (going from a progressive-scan DVD player's 480p to the TV's 540p picture), even when using a reference-level deck such as the Yamaha's DVD-S1200"

This comment was made about the Hitachi 53UDX10B (thinking about buying this TV) and the Toshiba 50H82, 53H71 (also on my purchase list)

Any comments?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Richard,
While the 480p-540p conversion is a factor, it's not as big a problem as you've been led to believe. The result of the upconversion is primarily a loss of resolution, not artifacting, and is more severe on the Toshibas than on the Hitachis according to our resident calibration guru, Michael TLV.

Hopefully he'll weigh in on this thread, but the jist of what he's previously posted is that while this is a noticeable problem on Tosh sets, Hitachi does it much better.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i think my TV upcoverts 480P to 540P (i have an RCA F38310) but i still think the progressive scan picture blows the interlaced picture out of the water. I'm using an RP91.

Chris_MJ

Agent
I agree. I have a 50h82 and the picture looks a lot better with my new Prog. Scan player than it did with my old interlaced player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks