What's new

Marantz SR7011=NO HDMI OUTPUT??? (1 Viewer)

Tillerman6

Agent
Real Name
Earl White
I'm with Peter on this. When a problem is so severe that you can't accomplish anything, take the simplest and most direct route to something you know is producing sound. That's also why I suggested a factory reset, rather than hunting around, when you have no idea what to look for.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It’s a common term for basically wiping out the memory and settings. All of them. It’s usually a pretty simple operation of turning off the unit, then going through a process of pushing buttons in a specific order. It should be in the manual and you can usually find it online.

Tillerman6

Agent
Real Name
Earl White
I would do a factory reset. The manual should tell you how.
John,
Got the SR7011 back together today - had to be extra careful, but looks pretty good to me. All the screws are back in ! Whooh!
Lots of connectors but most of them are different pin counts so it's hard to really get screwed up or cross connected.

Had to remove the front panel assy and both ribbon cables to make that happen, but that makes plenty of room to get the "radiator'" (AMP assembly) back in and hooked up correctly.

I checked the protection records and it did record one instance of a DC protect and one for ASO=1, but currently the protection check shows =NO PROTECT which i think is good news?

There is the ability to clear the protect history, but I don't think that would clear any real faults, only the recording of the faults?

So I left those alone.
The only current indication of a software issue was the check for Version status

The display came back with "FIRM ERROR", but did show all the other parameters that are listed in the service manual.

That's when I downloaded the Marantz update again and unzipped it onto a flash drive as per the instructions.

The parameter numbers did change as a result of the update, although the update tonight was the same one i did yesterday.

The firm package number was showing "0000" from the update yesterday, but now shows". 0012.

The Heos version changed from 1.4393.180 to 1.466.190 and the build changed from 1.39046 to 1.32847. I don't know what the significance of these changes are, but I'm glad to see them changing.

The GUi is 51200008 but it did not change.

Sorry, I just got the manual yesterday and did not find the "factory Reset"proceedure until tonight. The Adobe Reader will not find any instances of other words, so you pretty much have o read most of the proceedures line for line to find it. In the manual they call it "Execute Firmware Factory Restore. it's on page 196 in the Service manual. I'm Running it now. Will give you an update when it completes and the USB update is re-run as is recomended.

This is a steep learning curve for me.

Thanks for the tip!

Tillerman6

Agent
Real Name
Earl White
It’s a common term for basically wiping out the memory and settings. All of them. It’s usually a pretty simple operation of turning off the unit, then going through a process of pushing buttons in a specific order. It should be in the manual and you can usually find it online.
John - Got it running now. "Execute Firmware Factory Restore"
Is what they call it. Uses The buttons Dynamic Eq and M-Max to get it started.

Tillerman6

Agent
Real Name
Earl White
It finished and returned to normal mode. Will run update again tommorrow and give you the results. But do you think there is any chance that the factory reset will make any difference for the no-video/no audio problerm?

Tillerman6

Agent
Real Name
Earl White
John, one last thing- had to order an isolation transformer for the troubleshooting steps. This thing has some areas with a "hot chassis" and the service manual is full of warnings, but i can also use it to protect my system down the road as well.

The power around here has been squirrley lately.

Tillerman6

Agent
Real Name
Earl White
I would do a factory reset. The manual should tell you how.
Factory Reset accomplished. No video or audio from normal inputs, But an injected audio signal at the inputs to the 5 chan power amp does work on 7 of the 9 channel speaker outputs and is controllable with the volume knob. Also the corresponding 'preouts' all work fine if the signal is injected at the inputs of the main amp. So the 5 chan amp board is working normally, and the speaker board is working normally, and 2 of the 4 channels on the 4 chan board are working normally, and 7 of the 9 preouts are working normally.

Question- will the setup screen on your unit come on the TV screen if the internet connection is disconnected?

Tillerman6

Agent
Real Name
Earl White
Sounds like it's toast.
Not quite. 7 of the 9 audio amp channels after the preamp stages are still working, and 7 of the 9 pre-out stages are working.

Question- will the setup screen on your SR 7011 or equivalent be displayed on the TV IF the internet connection is NOT CONNECTED????

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Question- will the setup screen on your unit come on the TV screen if the internet connection is disconnected?
It should.

It sounds like none of the digital parts of the receiver are functioning. My point is, a surround receiver isn't of much use if none of the digital stages work.

Tillerman6

Agent
Real Name
Earl White
Sounds like it's toast.
i'M Not giving up just yet. most of the power audio stages are still working (7 of 9)
and I ordered an RS232 cable to do some service checks with the free"Termite.exe" program.
Hopefully, with my oscope and some luck, it will show up the defective area. The unit is about 50% computer and 50% stereo gear! Anyway, the power supply must be mostly working, or I would not get any display or internet functionality, or power for the output stages, and all of that IS working. The menu functions, when done from the front panel seem to be working "normally" although having never seen the unit when it was working properly before makes it hard to understand how the setup should be setup.

Tillerman6

Agent
Real Name
Earl White
It should.

It sounds like none of the digital parts of the receiver are functioning. My point is, a surround receiver isn't of much use if none of the digital stages work.

That's right, but the front panel display and the fact that the internet updates all work tells me that at least some of the digital circuits ARE working.

And it's all for fun anyway. I don';t really expect to ever get this thing working 100% again, but I have patience and a lot of time on my hands. - Used to be an electronics tech for Texas Instruments and Allied Signal/Honeywell / Bendix King Radio.

i was around when the transistor was invented, so I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Not a fan of the new surface mount technology, but that's life.

And I have no idea what this receiver has suffered in the way of electrical damage.
It could be bad solder joints or a baby dropped a penny thru the top cover. The boards are pretty much un-coated, so they can short out to any tiny metal objects that might fall thru the slits in the dust cover. I found at least 9 fuses inside but the ones I could find and see were all good. But like i said before, the way they have the boards arranged inside is not conducive to easy servicing. And there are about 10 boards all in a "nest" at right angles to each other , and all connected to each other on all corners.

Like a box in a box in a box if you can imagine.

Some of the solder looks a bit iffy, but I can't do any soldering until I finish with the diagnostics on the scope. There are about 70 checks in the service manual for the scope waveforms and I have to wait for my RS 232 cable to show up before I can put the unit into the right service mode and check all the waveforms against what the pictures show in the service manual.

And thanks for the information! the Setup screen does NOT rely on an internet connection!

This morning I tried the composite video connections to the TV and they did not work any better than the HDMI connections - which is not at all.

But the unit is supposed to output it's own video screen from scratch without any internet connection applied, so just knowing that little bit of information is helpful.

Have you had any dealings with Marantz customer service? What was your impression?

Have you found any other sources of information for troubleshooting this SR7

I would have taken all the boards out and inspected them already, but the way the boards are physically put together is something new to me.

Tillerman6

Agent
Real Name
Earl White
Isolation transformer modified and installed to isolate all grounds from earth ground. Scope is helping with audio troubleshooting already.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I own several pieces of Marantz gear, but have never had any experience with their service dept. Their receivers and preamps, in my experience, all use relays for switching, as opposed to cheaper circuits. You can hear them "click" when you change inputs. My gut feeling is the relays aren't operating. If you don't hear a click when you change inputs, that should tell you something. When you tried the analog video outputs, did you use an analog input, or hdmi? Also, you have to configure which input it goes to in the setup in the first place. For example, it probably defaults to the preset hdmi input instead of an analog one.

Modern surround receivers are stinking complicated. Like I said, there should be no reason the receiver's menu wouldn't work and display on a tv without an internet connection.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh yeah, my Marantz AV7703 displays a Marantz logo on the hdmi output all the time the unit is on, when an input with no signal is selected. I suspect the 7011 may be the same, but I'm not certain. So my point is, at least on the AV7703, the hdmi output is always sending a signal of something.

Goddess4

Auditioning
Real Name
Sarah
Just spent the better part of two days trying to troubleshoot my "new" (to me) Marantz SR7011 receiver,

The main problem is that I don't have any video out of the HDMI output ports,*(monitor 1,2,or3 (at least none are showing up on my LG smart TV) which does display my DVD movies without a problem with the same HDMI cable into the same HDMI #2 port. So without this video, the On Screen Setup Assistant video is not available .
The LG TV is model # M 49UJ6300-UA. It's about a year old or less and it works fine with my old Yamaha receiver which can output my DVD player video back to the LG tv just fine.

The #2 HDMI port on the TV is ARC compatible, and the cable is marked "HDMI High speed with Eithernet"

The display on the SR is working fine and responds to the front panel inputs and the remote commands.
I got to speak with customer service at the ABT store, and we set up the parameters manually thru the front panel as a work around to test for sound out using the optical cable from the TV while viewing the DVD output on the TV, but there was no sound coming from the speakers at all.

Things I have tried-
Different input HDMI ports on the TV- selected them on the TV for inputs one at a time- no video
Different HDMI cables- No change
Different CEC on/off settings on the TV- no change
Visual inspection of the visible portions of the PC boards inside the SR- nothing to see here
downloaded the latest updates and installed- no change - internet cat5 cable plugged in.
Ran the latest USB firmware update 8-8-18.zip-said it was installed without a problem
Tested the DC 12 Volt test points on the rear of the unit=-12.00 volts- a little intermittent because of the test probe diameter
Checked the mother board fuses-both good.
No case damage
HDMI cables are all the way in.
Did a "reset"- hold down front panel music and info buttons and turn on the power- got the "initalized" MSG-no change

The only ? mark now that i need to check out is the compatability with the ARC Hdmi port#2 for the CEC specification. - The LG operator's manual notes said that setting the CEC function to "on" is not guaranteed to be compatible with non-LG products that are CEC users.

But this seems to be more of a power control issue. If you turn off the TV, the SR7011 may or may not turn off as well.

Assets- A tectronics Oscilloscope , a digital volt meter, Marantz somewhat useless owner's manual(online)
and a small borescope. Plus a few pages of the owner's manual have been printed out.

Also loaded the Marantz app for the cell phone- Tried to play songs-no audio out.

and the Heos app- no audio out.
The IP address for the Marantz is active and the local Wifi signals do show up on the cell phone setup screen,
The display shows the Main Zone is active on start up
The standby LED is orange indicating that the HDMI inputs are setup.

Now I am wondering if there are audio ports on the rear that can be fed a small signal and get anything out? the

I could really use a detailed schematic and parts layout, but the rep said that although those are on the Marantz web site, they are only for the dealers.
The insides of the unit look to be almost brand new.

Noticed that the fans in the bottom were not running. Unit does warm up just sitting without any outputs being used.

What are the normal resistance readings of the respective speaker jack pairs on a good unit supposed to be?

The display does show that the FM tuner is working- auto scan and found stations- no audio out,
The zone controls work visually on/off- no audio either way for any zone

-
THIS FIX WORKS

TELUS Arris PVR Vip5662W Connected to

Marantz 7012 AVR

CBL/SAT

HDMI

STEREO

Got this message

This content can not be displayed because your TV dose not support HDCP 2.2

Called Telus Technical Support. We changed my HDMI Cables most expensive $60.00 to $20.00 to the cheap cable that comes with equipment. Still the same message. He is sending me a HDMI that Telus Techs use.

Tried all HDMI Inputs on the Marantz 7012 AVR with the TELUS Arris PVR Vip5662W, got same message. Read the forums suggested to buy a HDMI splitter. My work around, works. I connected the PVR to any TV HDMI INPUT 2-4. Connect the PVR Digital Optical Output to my AVR Digital Optical Input, the CD one supports DDigital and SSound. So to watch TV, change to PVR input on TV and on AVR change to CD to get the sound.

Then I found this,THIS FIX WORKS.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet...DCP-Error-Through-Denon-Amp/td-p/71148/page/4

No need for splitter. Had the same issue and figured out how to fix this. Im guessing you have a 1080p tv only. If you have a denon x3400h, x3500h, x4200h, x4300h, x4400h, x4500h, etc. Go into the hdmi diagnostics mode on the denon receiver and change the limit mode to output 1080p then hdcp 2.2 to limit. To get into hdmi diagnostic mode turn on the receiver, then hold the back button and the up cursor on the receiver for around 3 seconds until it flashes hdmi diagnostics. It will run an auto check first and then display the diff modes. From there use ur remote to scroll down to limit mode and make the above changes. I just had my receiver over the weekend and it was driving me nutz trying to figure out how to get into hdmi diagnostics on the new denon receivers. Hope this helps everyone that has the same issue. :)

Goddess4

Auditioning
Real Name
Sarah
Just spent the better part of two days trying to troubleshoot my "new" (to me) Marantz SR7011 receiver,

The main problem is that I don't have any video out of the HDMI output ports,*(monitor 1,2,or3 (at least none are showing up on my LG smart TV) which does display my DVD movies without a problem with the same HDMI cable into the same HDMI #2 port. So without this video, the On Screen Setup Assistant video is not available .
The LG TV is model # M 49UJ6300-UA. It's about a year old or less and it works fine with my old Yamaha receiver which can output my DVD player video back to the LG tv just fine.

The #2 HDMI port on the TV is ARC compatible, and the cable is marked "HDMI High speed with Eithernet"

The display on the SR is working fine and responds to the front panel inputs and the remote commands.
I got to speak with customer service at the ABT store, and we set up the parameters manually thru the front panel as a work around to test for sound out using the optical cable from the TV while viewing the DVD output on the TV, but there was no sound coming from the speakers at all.

Things I have tried-
Different input HDMI ports on the TV- selected them on the TV for inputs one at a time- no video
Different HDMI cables- No change
Different CEC on/off settings on the TV- no change
Visual inspection of the visible portions of the PC boards inside the SR- nothing to see here
downloaded the latest updates and installed- no change - internet cat5 cable plugged in.
Ran the latest USB firmware update 8-8-18.zip-said it was installed without a problem
Tested the DC 12 Volt test points on the rear of the unit=-12.00 volts- a little intermittent because of the test probe diameter
Checked the mother board fuses-both good.
No case damage
HDMI cables are all the way in.
Did a "reset"- hold down front panel music and info buttons and turn on the power- got the "initalized" MSG-no change

The only ? mark now that i need to check out is the compatability with the ARC Hdmi port#2 for the CEC specification. - The LG operator's manual notes said that setting the CEC function to "on" is not guaranteed to be compatible with non-LG products that are CEC users.

But this seems to be more of a power control issue. If you turn off the TV, the SR7011 may or may not turn off as well.

Assets- A tectronics Oscilloscope , a digital volt meter, Marantz somewhat useless owner's manual(online)
and a small borescope. Plus a few pages of the owner's manual have been printed out.

Also loaded the Marantz app for the cell phone- Tried to play songs-no audio out.

and the Heos app- no audio out.
The IP address for the Marantz is active and the local Wifi signals do show up on the cell phone setup screen,
The display shows the Main Zone is active on start up
The standby LED is orange indicating that the HDMI inputs are setup.

Now I am wondering if there are audio ports on the rear that can be fed a small signal and get anything out? the

I could really use a detailed schematic and parts layout, but the rep said that although those are on the Marantz web site, they are only for the dealers.
The insides of the unit look to be almost brand new.

Noticed that the fans in the bottom were not running. Unit does warm up just sitting without any outputs being used.

What are the normal resistance readings of the respective speaker jack pairs on a good unit supposed to be?

The display does show that the FM tuner is working- auto scan and found stations- no audio out,
The zone controls work visually on/off- no audio either way for any zone

-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks