HD Rear Projection TVs Issues!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardA, Jul 14, 2002.

1. RichardA

RichardA Agent

Hello Everyone,

I’m buying a TV and I have a few concerns that I hope someone can help me with.

Got my DVD player and now I’m looking at rear projection HD TV’s. The major stores here push Toshiba, Sony, Samsung and Panasonic. Toshiba seems to be their favorite so that is the way I’m leaning. Looking at the Toshiba 50H82 (16x9, 50”, 1080I/540p) and the Toshiba 50H72 ( 4x3, 50”).

One of my main concerns is that I have a JVC XV-SA70bk DVD player with progressive scan. Now is this compatible with the progressive scan on the Toshiba TVs?

Second concern: The 50h82 has 1600 lines horizontal resolution where as the 50H72 has 1200 lines. Now does this really matter if the best signal I will be playing will be a DVD with about 500 lines? Both models have Horizontal Pixel Doubling.

3rd concern. Most of these TV’s now only have a year warranty where as my last 28” had a 5 year warranty. Are these HD TV liable to break a lot?

Also I’m using the TV for regular cable (not digital) and DVDs. And I’m really having a hard time deciding what aspect ratio to go with. 4:3 or 16:9. A 16:9 50 inch TV is really quite small when just using a regular TV signal. Any comments?

Thanks.

Richard

2. Chris_MJ

Chris_MJ Agent

I have the 50H82 and I always watch regular cable in Full mode so that it takes up the whole screen. It looks great to. Can hardly tell that the image is stretched.

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I'd recommend a stretch mode, too, for watching standard TV. Toshiba offers four modes...try them out in the store to find your favorite. One mode stretches the picture uniformly, another one zooms it to fit the width (loss of picture at top and bottom), a third mode combines the two modes (little bit of stretch, little bit of zoom) and my favorite mode stretches the picture more at the sides than at the center for a very natural look most of the time.

The Toshiba will handle 480p, 480i or 1080i through the component inputs. So your DVD player should work just fine.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions!

Jan

4. Yuli

Yuli Agent

Like the above posters said, you will have no problem using your DVD player with any of the RPTV models you mentioned.
    I would definatly recommend going with a 16x9 screen size. Even if you watch alot of regular cable, etc, the 4x3 screen size on a 16x9 50" RPTV is much bigger than a 28" (go here for screen size comparisons). Plus HDTV will be 16x9 when it comes out.

5. Steve_AA

Steve_AA Agent

Your progressive scan DVD player will take priority...when fed a progressive signal, the Tosh will have its deinterlacer circuitry bypassed.

The 1600 lines horiz. resolution is mostly theoretical and only an issue with a HD signal. In reality, it's probably closer to 1100-1200.

6. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

Richard,
    Good choice of DVD player - just got that one myself. As for the RPTV, I've decided to wait for the Sony WS500 line to come out next month or so. You may want to defer your purchase awhile - that way, you get a DVI compatible set.

My 2 cents.

7. RichardA

RichardA Agent

Ok so now I have to look-up DVI. [​IMG]
    I originally bought a lesser model DVD player, but after countless problems JVC upgraded me for free.
    Thanks everyone for you help. The wife is pushing for the 4:3 model. Bigger screen and cheaper price. I want the 16:9.
    We will have to battle it out.
    [​IMG]

8. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Richard,
    Oh, man, you are in serious trouble. "Bigger screen and cheaper price." You are doomed.
    Unless...maybe...yes! This is it!
    You have to find her favorite movie on DVD and show it to her on a widescreen set with no black bars! Once she sees Mel Gibson's butt (or whatever floats her boat) in full resolution on a widescreen monitor, she'll change her tune in a hurry!
    Seriously, dude, take her to the store and show her. You're probably years ahead of her on the HDTV/widescreen thing and she needs to be brought up to speed.
    Good luck. (Man, you're gonna need it.) [​IMG]
    Jan

9. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

10. RichardA

RichardA Agent

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Will let you guys know the end result!
    Thanks for all the help.

11. RichardA

RichardA Agent

I asked about the compatibility of the TV with the progressive scan DVD player because of an article I read a while ago. I just found another reference at C/NET.

"But since this TV set outputs at 540p as opposed to straight line-doubling (480p), we recommend that you set progressive-scan DVD players to interlaced output and let the TV's internal line doubler do all the work. Otherwise, you'll wind up with clearly visible up-conversion artifacts (going from a progressive-scan DVD player's 480p to the TV's 540p picture), even when using a reference-level deck such as the Yamaha's DVD-S1200"

Please comment.

12. GeorgeAB

GeorgeAB Second Unit

G. Alan Brown
    Richard,

Your best looking image source will be anamorphic DVD now and HDTV later on (why wait for video bliss? There is a LOT of wonderful programming available now via DishNetwork if you can afford it.). Your crummiest signal sources are all 4:3. Why make the crap the largest image on your TV?

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
    G. Alan Brown
    CinemaQuest, Inc.

Insist on HDTV!

13. Bob Sison

Bob Sison Extra

I have a 50HX81 and a Pioneer DVD Progressive Scan. I tried the menu selectable switch of progressive and interlaced on the Pioneer. On DVD's, I notice a significant difference in the image.
    I get a superior image when I use the progressive option of the player.
    More vivid, no artifacts, slightly brighter.
    This means that the DVD player does the progressive scanning/line doubling and the Toshiba's unit is bypassed. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    You should try it with your player.