What's new

DVD Forum Cliches (1 Viewer)

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
"That (date) is really going to damage my wallet"
"I can't believe all the stuff coming out on DVD?"
"DVD is really mainstream now that title XYZ is out"

in a flashback to Usenet - "me too." (when referring to a complaint, a possible purchase/release news, etc etc)

(before an official release date) - "Got my copy of XYZ today, shipped early!" accompanied with no details regarding quality/content of the disc, etc etc

"I found a copy of XYZ in store ABC - I thought it was out of print?!?!"

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Blockbuster horror stories

Rude behavior I encountered at a movie theater

How to remove adhesive / stickers from packaging

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"Can anybody recommend a warm-sounding receiver to me?"

"I don't like that Sony receiver because it sounds harsh on music."

"I just purchased a widescreen set and I still see black bars. What's wrong?"

"I hated [insert name of universally lauded, timeless classic]; it's an overrated POS."

"I was playing Saving Private Ryan at full blast and my subwoofer made knocking and buzzing noises. Did I do something wrong?"

"I have $3,000 to spend on an RPTV. Tell me what to buy."

Or to see this in the Basics area:

"Please help me decide between the Energy Take 5.2 system and this Cambridge Soundworks speaker suite I'm looking at."

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and as noted earlier: any occurrence of the phrase "foolscreen." Makes a bigger comment on the poster than it does on the framing of the transfer. Sorry. Had to get that one off my chest.

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
What the heck is this "multiple angles" button for?

I just got a disc from another region and it won't play on my non-region-free machine!

What's all this crap I hear about Dekard being a Replicant?

Why doesn't Spielberg do commentary tracks?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Bravo Jack. It does nothing to raise awareness of original aspect ratios and excludes outsiders even further. The fact that a "newbie" even registered to the forum, in most cases, shows he has interest in the hobby. A potential buyer, a potential contributor, potentially another lost sale for a mis-framed film?

Ribbing a fellow enthusiast for putting around on his AVR-1804, because you just got a AVR-5803A, is one thing. An inquisitive newbie to the subject, doesn't know any better.

Sure does, but I would have simpified it and said, "You make yourself and us as a community, look like pompous asses." (Not to mention, help make a few sales for super-friendly Bose salesman)

Side Note: "Pan and Scam"
Where is the scam? It is exactly what it says it is.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
"Why don't they just use the snot?"
(referring to the easily-removed goo strip used to attach things to outer dvd cases)

"Of course, it's going to look even worse with the bi-lingual cover."

TedT

Second Unit
People using the word "anywho".

Also posters who complain about posters complaining about posters on the forums. :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
"[Insert slight defect or in-theatre annoyance of the week here]... took me COMPLETELY out of the movie!"

Unless the film breaks - or the DVD player stops - nothing has ever taken me "out" of a movie that was worth watching.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
"When is Season 2 of Mary Tyler Moore coming out?"

"Look at this crappy cover art"

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
:thumbsdown: The term “thread crapping” I hate it and its variations farting, fart and crap. Do the members here really want me to become ill from the toilet jargon?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Not a chance - you can tell how they'll behave as soon as the lights go down. If they act up then, they'll act up during the picture. That's when it's time to leave and get my money back - I've never stayed in a theatre where I was getting disturbed. At least, I haven't stayed long enough to get interested in the picture. I also don't bother to see many films that would attract to rowdies, that helps...

EDIT - We're way OT here! :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Yeah, a bit over used I must say. Side notes, and conversations are going to happen. I've met most of my good HTF friends as a result of a good, honest thread-fart. I think we should all admit, it's the farting that really brings us together. It's the glue.

Peter, normally, when alone, I frequent the smaller theaters and catch up on more independent or revival films. Never a problem at these theaters, not once. With 16 and 19 y/o, opening night at the big blockbuster madhouse is a sad reality.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

He is referring to whenever something is to be changed digitally in a Speilberg film.

"I don't go to the theatre anymore because my system blows it away"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks