What's new

DVD Forum Cliches (1 Viewer)

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
How about the ever famous...

"When is _____ DVD coming out?"

Specifically when the movie was just released into the theaters the past Friday, or even when it still has yet to be released. :P

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
"JUST as soon as I bought it--the SE is announced!"

"This is the best this movie has EVER looked on home video!"

"I could do better than that in 5 minutes of Photoshop!"

"the soundstage is immersive!"

"this gave my subwoofer a workout!"

"...eh. Rental." (can also be substituted with "meh" or "bleh.")

My own personal horribly overused cliches?

"like I said earlier.." Hey..smart guy--if you already said it earlier, how about just letting it stand then. Chances are someone read the shit. Quit repeating yourself, Fatboy.

substituting "--" in for a comma or parentheses. See above example.

Starting every third paragraph with "Hell, as far as I can tell..."

"I'll wait and see on this one." Wonderful. Why not just post "ummm..uh..there's absolutely nothing of value to what I just posted, because I just stated I have no opinion one way or the other" because it serves exactly the same purpose.

"Now, don't get mad because.." because I said something pretty inflammatory that anyone in their right mind would be pissed about, you pompous windbag asshole. Could you back away from your monitor, Robert Anthony? Your ego is resting on my keyboard.

And for the peoples in the star wars thread:

"Crotch kicking (insert adjective here)" Good Lord. I hereby formally apologize for my part at the dawn of that particular era. It was a large part I played, and for that, I'm sorry.

Kinda.

It still is a funny mental picture.

..really.

oh yeah, my putting about 30 spaces inbetween one-liners gets pretty irritating, too.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
"Another DVD cover with Floating Heads."

"I just got a 5.1 setup and need a good dvd to test it out. Anyone know of any?" :D

"Who's that in your sig?"

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe no one's mentioned this one yet:

"You kids today don't know how good you've got it. $30 for a DVD is practically larceny. In my day, we paid $120 for one movie on laserdisc, then it would rot and we'd have to buy it again, but we were glad to get it."

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Anytime a DVD release is announced:

"I don't care, it was a crappy movie"
"Stupid movie."
"No way I'm buying this DVD"

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Here's one...

Hey PhilipG, I already said that one ("I can't believe...") back in post #16.

:D

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Anything refering to how great music, film, movies, and especially TV used to be and how anything new sucks...

"no OAR, no sale"

people who don't seem to understand that studios are in the business of making $$, not catering to our every whim no matter how much $$ they would waste doing so. Example... "Where is my ______ (enter insanely obscure TV show or movie) collectors edition, box set, etc." or, "What a crappy package, I'm not buying that set until the studio gives it the treatment I think it deserves" even though they are 1 of a total of 8 people who will even buy the damn thing and they should be happy to even have it on DVD.

Oh, and the seemingly endless rants about "JSP", people who buy "foolscreen", and how evil Wal-mart is and how they are responsible for all the evil in the world. I guess it's because they sell a lot of P&S dvds :rolleyes:.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Hmm...if this is becoming a cliche around the Forum then it is sad that such things happen so frequently.
BTTF and the current Night Gallery fiasco would fit into this "cliche" so I guess many folks at HTF are guilty of this.

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
"Picture and sound are important. Everything else is gravy."

If I ever hear someone say this in real life, I'll push them off a cliff.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Yep. Totally agree. I really hate seeing "foolscreen" used here, makes me wonder if we have infants running up and down the HTF corridors. And I think I know who started that misleading term.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

I'm well aware of that, but I was trying to make a double-joke about people not reading the whole thread before posting.

Honestly! :D

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Here's mine:

I don't have time to read all 100+ pages of this thread, but here's my 02. cents anyways.

I don't see any edge enhancement.

Is the superbit edition of (insert movie here) better than the regular or special edition DVD in terms of image quality?

I'll wait 'till the special/ultimate/ edition is announced.

Disney is at it again!

I Hate Censorship!

Why can't Luca$ leave well enough alone?

I'll probably buy this title even though it's fullscreen, because it's an open matte transfer, and that's better than pan & scan. (I don't subscribe to this logic!)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
In the After Hours forum:

"I've been bleeding pus from my bodily orifices for the last 18 hours, should I see a doctor???"

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Wow did this thread take a turn for the strange and weird!

Now I don't have time to read this whole thread, so don't get mad, but I can't believe no one's pointed out that the thread itself is a cliche.

:D

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Besides requests for free medical and/or legal advice, After Hours cliches include:

"I have a new baby / pet / plant / house / car"

"How do I get the girl I have a crush on to like me?"

"I'm feeling nostalgic over a novelty food item from childhood"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks