What's new

DVD Forum Cliches (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

And the always popular TV version when, 30 seconds after Season X of a show has hit the shelf, someone posts asking when Season X+1 will be released.

Then there's the never-ending "Jurassic Park DTS" threads, varying between "I just purchased JP DTS version and it doesn't sound very good," or "In the store, how do you tell the defective version from the corrected version."

Which also leads into another, "I did a search on this topic, but didn't find anything," when a rapid search on the obvious keyword usually turns up sixteen existing threads.

How about: :rolleyes

:D

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Hmmmmm... sounds about right....

except that I never owned a LD player. I'd probably change it to "in my day, we had to pay $60 for a used rental copy on VHS that was dark and in foolscreen/pan & scam". :)

Jodee

Screenwriter
My favorite has not been mentioned yet:

"What are Criterion DVDs and what makes them better than regular DVDs?"

or interchangeably:

"Criterions are over-priced!"

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

That is THE WORST. That one just kills me.

"I don't give a crap about anyone elses opinion, but you should make sure you read and digest mine."

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
"So do all receivers decode the THX sound format?" (or any variant on the THX misconception)

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
IMDB says the film is 122 minutes long but on the back of the dvd cover the running time is listed as 119 minutes. Is it cut?

Mosquito Noise!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I don't know if that's the case, necessarily. How long do you think it would take to read every post in every thread for over 100 pages? By the time you're through, the subject is moot.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I kinda think that the way excitement about a release builds up, folks champ at the bit for release dates, check who got it where first, and then the movie is often never talked about again - is a behavioural cliche of the Forum world...

Getting there is all the fun. :)

I like those honest discussions where people admit 98% of their collection sits on a shelf.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member

In which case your opinion is probably also moot, or has been already stated and debated.

I've always found messageboards just as fun in the READING, not just the posting. If I find I have an opinion, and then some other person pops up to take that side, and then a couple other people take the other--I get just as much out of simply reading their take as I would jumping in myself. It's the ideas being batted around that matters more than simply popping up and sticking my two cents in while not really caring whether it's been brought up already or not.

I gotta admit though, I'm sort of biased. I used to mod some really big messageboards, and the redundant threads and super-redundant posts used to really get on my nerves because that meant less reading and more cleaning up. Killed the enjoyment of the board for me to have to be constantly pointing people to the same link, the same tidbit of info that had been brought up 3 or 4 times already if they'd taken the time to at the least SCAN through the thread before they posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks