What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DVD FOLDERS (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I never imagined I'd resort to this method of storage but I'm completely out of options and can't sacrifice my shelf space any longer.... I've just spent all morning packing my collections into boxes and moving it downstairs into the storage locker of my building to free space on my shelves for the stacks of books, records, pictures, photo albums and the typical domestic stuff that's been terrorizing my flat for the past five years as a result of my out of control DVD collection!

So now I'm desperate to pull out the boxes from storage asap and start transferring my discs into folders/binders. I've searched Google endlessly and haven't come up with much. I'm looking for BIG folder space. ie. massive 500-1000 disc holders. Due to my OCD with collecting, it would be especially nice to find something that's aesthetically appealing as well, since they will be large on taking up at least a couple of book shelf cabinets. Does such a thing exist? Are there any elegant (leather or something similar) DVD specialty binders for large collection storage and organization? Cost isn't a factor at all since I was originally budgeting for new furniture as a storage alternative until I realized this was impossible as I've literally not a square foot of floor or wall space left anywhere.

Please recommend any outlets for long term storage binders for large collections. Also, has there been any discussion as to whether this method of storage is "healthy" for a long DVD life?

Thank you!!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Marco,

I switched to folders and it was the best thing I ever did in terms of reclaiming space and organizing my collection.

You have to be merciless though, as I really had to struggle to get rid of some of the more lavish packaging. I used 400 disc capacity folders from Case Logic. There feature a basic black fabric covering which probably isn't quite as upscale as the solution you are requesting; but they do the job. Sorry, I don't recall the particular model.

A couple of reasons why I like the Case Logic folders:

1) Removable pages. IMHO an absolute must if you are going to be refreshing your collection from time to time.

2) Case Logic uses two large flat straps to hold the pages. There are some other folders that use a traditional three ring binder and these folders are not as durable. The sheets in the three ring binders can get damaged and the binders will want to pull open in a fully loaded folder. The Case Logic folders have neither of these issues due to their locking mechanism and broad strap / sleeve slit structure.

I have no idea about how "healthy" this solution is for long term DVD storage, but frankly I am willing to accept a 1 or 2 percent loss rate just to get the space back. I had multiple boxes in the bedrooom, living room, and a utility room and locating titles had just become ridiculous.

Good Luck with your collection,
Walter...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Walter,

I really don't even care about the covers or liners anymore. I have a sotrage locker in my building and I plan to literally pack all of my old amarays, digipaks, box sets, inserts, etc. and just toss them into the storage room. I've already started to reclaim my shelf space and reorganize my condo and it really does feel great. I can't believe I actualy have place for my books, records and other things to be properly displayed and it's so much easier to clean! Now the next step is the big one -- I need to reorganize the thousands of discs that I have boxed away into binders.

My number one concern would probably be in regards to the quality of the sleeves themselves and whether they are made of some sort of archival backing so as not to damage, scratch or warp the discs as I've invested way too much into this hobby to allow for that!

If anyone has any other suggestions for specific binders or cases, please let me know!

I was even considering these metallic safety boxes that I've come across online a while back (but can't seem to find again) where the individual sleeves are on a rack that can be pulled out and indexed. I would also like the binders to be suitable for shelf storage themselves since they will replace the plastic walls that were my DVD shelves prior!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Hmm... I really like the look and oerceived functionality of this but it only holds 48 discs per case:

http://www.handstands.com/Bellagio-Italia-DVD-Blu-Ray-Storage-Binder/dp/B002MD2XBM?ie=UTF8&prevPageletDesc=DP%3AAccessories&suggestedItem=B002JN8LBQ

Has anyone tried it out?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
These are designed specifically for CDs, but if you're willing to sacrifice the artwork, they may be good. I've been considering these for years for my CD collection, but have never pulled the trigger.

http://www.jewelsleeve.com/index.html

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Marco!

I have been reading your posts here on the HTF for years and never thought--of all people--that I'd be recommending THIS THREAD to you...but here I go. I know you are compulsively anal about the packaging of the pieces in your collection, so a great deal of what's contained within that thread will seem like heresy to you. But what started out as a discussion on the "new packaging" of DVDs back in '03 evolved into a discussion about how to downsize one's collection. There are many different points-of-view on the best ways to achieve that--from moving one's titles into slim cases (which I've done) to moving them into binders, etc. There are also photos from the members about the different approaches. One member, Will_B has been advocating binder-type storage for years.

Don't be daunted by the size of the thread...it is easily skimmable and you'll see the parts which interest you. (the latest post from Will_B about his binders is on page 30). There are also extended discussions on where to order materials and custom cover art.

I was struck by one of the things Walter wrote in his initial response:

You have to be merciless though, as I really had to struggle to get rid of some of the more lavish packaging.
You have already seen what a cathartic effect the "shrinking" of your collection can have on your everyday life. This exercise may even allow you to rethink the idea of storing-away all those cases. Then again, it may not...but I always find it interesting how simple changes in our lives like this can have such a major impact and make us flexible in ways we never knew were possible.

Good luck!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks so much, Mike!

I know, me of all people... never would've imagined I'd be going this route after such rigid stance towards displaying my films- even taking car trips across the border to purchase sets simply to avoid bilingual packaging! The time has come though, and it's already made my life much more accessible. It's hard to believe just how much living space ones DVD collection can actually consume!

I think I'm basically sold on the Hotstands book style binders although I wish there were larger options. I guess the downside to that over purchasing a few more cases is that it makes sorting and organizing ones collection a bit simpler as well as shelf storage. I've seen some of those giant 500 disc holders laid out and it's almost like opening a parachute... 10 or so shelf binders on the book case would be the perfect way to keep the collection neat and organized by genre and directors, actors, etc. It's just a shame to lose so much of the glorious classic movie artwork on those old Warner sets. But not worth my trouble any longer! :)

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti

Hmm... I really like the look and oerceived functionality of this but it only holds 48 discs per case:

http://www.handstands.com/Bellagio-Italia-DVD-Blu-Ray-Storage-Binder/dp/B002MD2XBM?ie=UTF8&prevPageletDesc=DP%3AAccessories&suggestedItem=B002JN8LBQ

Has anyone tried it out?
I have a bunch of these in black--they look pretty good on the shelf, and (importantly) you can add extra pages, so you're not limited to 48 discs per binder. I divide mine up by genre for easy browsing--there's a little holder on the spine that you can slip the label into. The smaller size of the binder makes them less unwieldy than larger ones would be.

I got rid of the cases and put the inserts in a corresponding hanging file in my file cabinet, but have been moving those over to their own binder--a standard 3 ring binder with clear insert pages.

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator
I like these (DiscSox):

http://www.mmdesign.com/

but have never used them because of the cost (I had already started organizing with boxes from Case Logic).

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Guy Foulard

Quote:

I have a bunch of these in black--they look pretty good on the shelf, and (importantly) you can add extra pages, so you're not limited to 48 discs per binder. I divide mine up by genre for easy browsing--there's a little holder on the spine that you can slip the label into. The smaller size of the binder makes them less unwieldy than larger ones would be.

I got rid of the cases and put the inserts in a corresponding hanging file in my file cabinet, but have been moving those over to their own binder--a standard 3 ring binder with clear insert pages.
Thanks, you just sold me on them!

Approx. how many extra sleeves / discs total can be fit into one of these folders with ease? One reviewer on Amazon mentioned how adding a few more pages made it impossible to close.

I similarly plan to purchase about 10 or so and label them by genre and film movements (neo-realism/new wave, etc):
silents/talkies, pre-codes, screwballs, gangster/noir, melodrama, musicals, westerns, and so on...

I imagine I would need approximately 10-15 binders altogether to house my collection but I guess it depends on how many additional pages can safely be added without issue. I do not plan on preserving any of my covers or inserts. Those are already stored away in boxes in the locker room in my basement. If there was a way to fit 100 discs into each binder using both sides of each page, it would be a real life saver! I doubt I'd get away with that many though...

Where did you end up ordering them from?

I'd like to find the cheapest outlet available online to purchase these as I'll need quite a few. I think I'm after the brown binders to match my wood cabinets...

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Quote:
Approx. how many extra sleeves / discs total can be fit into one of these folders with ease? One reviewer on Amazon mentioned how adding a few more pages made it impossible to close.

I similarly plan to purchase about 10 or so and label them by genre and film movements (neo-realism/new wave, etc):
silents/talkies, pre-codes, screwballs, gangster/noir, melodrama, musicals, westerns, and so on...

Where did you end up ordering them from?
I got mine through Amazon--I ordered one to test it out using my Amazon Prime shipping, and then ordered more from an Amazon vendor that had free shipping. Look for cheaper prices for multi-packs.

I think about 64 discs per binder is the outside amount I could fit (I'm not at home to check right now). So one refill pack to 2 binders.

I picked genre-appropriate fonts in Word for the label inserts I printed, which was kind of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks