What's new

Oppo BDP-93 Firmware question (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for posting this query about a now-ancient player, but I'm having trouble finding reliable info online.

I know that the most recent firmware (the one still downloadable from Oppo's site, 9x-82-1009) is one of the 'broken' releases (no more support for ISO, MKV or BD5/BD9 blu-ray discs).

My question is, does anybody out there know what is the latest version that still suports BD5 and BD9 discs (basically, BDMV folders on DVD-R media)? I have some HD home movies on DV tape that I burn to discs for viewing, and for economy's sake, I like the ability to burn my discs on DVD-R media, since it's way cheaper per gig than BD-R.

I know that 9x-61-1219 is one of the "good" firmware versions, but there are several versions between that one and the latest one.

The other reason I'm asking is that I'm looking into buying a secondhand BDP-93 to replace my BDP-83 with it's slow load times (since the 93s seem to be the last generation of Oppos that support BD5 discs), but want to be able to update it as far as possible.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
So, nobody knows?

From what I've discovered online, the last firmware version that supports ISO playback is BDP9x-61-1219 from early 2012.

What I'm unsure about is whether Oppo removed BD5/BD9 support at the exact same time they removed ISO playback, or if they removed BD5/9 support at a later time. The reason I'm unsure is that although BDP9x-64-0119B removed ISO playback, MKV was still supported at that time.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, I don't have the answer you're looking for, but are you certain it applies to MKV and BD5/9? My understanding was the only capability that was taken away was ISO files. My BDP103 certainly plays MKVs no problem, with the latest firmware. I've never tried BD5/9, but I can create one easily enough to try.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I can't speak to MKV compatibility, but I did see a thread on the forums that Oppo removed the ability to play BD5 and BD9. No Oppo newer than the 93 and 95 series can play them at all according to what I ready, and the ability to play them on the 93 and 95 was removed at some point in the firmware. I'm just not sure if it was at the same time as the removal of ISO playback, or at a later point.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No problems with BD5/BD9 on my up-to-date 103, but I’ve never owned the 93 so I can’t speak to any differences between the models. Sorry :(

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
No problems with BD5/BD9 on my up-to-date 103, but I’ve never owned the 93 so I can’t speak to any differences between the models. Sorry :(

Really? Interesting!

We are talking about the same thing, aren't we? When I say BD5, that means a burnt DVD-R that has blu-ray file structure (so you can use cheaper DVD-R media for material that fits on a 4.7GB disc).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Going on a huge offtopic tangent).

Can Oppos play straight *.vob files from an external hard drive connected to it, even without any of the *.ifo files?

I have noticed my junky $50 Sony bluray player can indeed play movie-only *.vob files ripped from dvd discs. (The *.vob files are on an external hard drive connected to that Sony bluray player).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Really? Interesting!

We are talking about the same thing, aren't we? When I say BD5, that means a burnt DVD-R that has blu-ray file structure (so you can use cheaper DVD-R media for material that fits on a 4.7GB disc).

Yeah, I only have two or three examples of such discs so I don’t know if it’s just a fluke that they played or if it’s something the machine does regularly.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
A belated thank-you to everyone who chimed in on this. I have since purchased a 103. BD5/9 was supported on the 'old' firmware. I updated to the latest version and it still works.

I'm sure I must've interpreted their ending support of ISO playback as also including BD5s.

Thank goodness! Now, I can still be region-free, still support my cheap BD5 discs, and have improved loading time on such problematic (for the 83) titles like the Modern Family season sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks