What's new

Dual Layer DVD Drive Review Needed (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'd stick with Pioneer, Benq, NEC (Plextor's are usually pricey). Sony DVD drives haven't gotten the best rep for reliability.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
My friend just replaced his Sony after a year of use when it crapped out so I can vouch for Sony's poor rep.

My NEC has been rock solid. It's a shade loud when it starts up but after that it's smooth sailing.

Hank_P

Second Unit
I got a NEC 3520A from Newegg and it's been pretty solid. Not burnt a "coaster" yet with it.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Love my NEC as well. No coasters. :) Sometimes pretty loud though when playing CD's.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Neil:

Here's a review of the DRU-720A drive.

I second Patrick's recommendations though re: drives from NEC, Pioneer and Plextor. The NEC ND-3520A can be had for much less than the Sony and is more compatible with various media. The ND-3530A was just announced recently and reviewed on sites such as CDRinfo.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hey all,

Thanks for the reviews. I decided apon the 6XDual LAyer Pioneer Drive for $50's. Should arrive tommorow :)...

Now, I've heard reports that the drive burns so fast(All 16X Drives, not just Pioneer) that sometimes coasters are made unintentionally. Is there any truth to this?

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Yes, it CAN happen. I always burn stuff I'm copying at 4x speed, regardless of what the drive can handle. If it's a project I authored, then I always burn it at 1x, no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks