What's new

Dragonslayer. Any Info? (1 Viewer)

Mike Russell

Agent
If there is a post about this already could someone point me in the right direction. Thanks. If not, does anyone know of when this great flick might be coming to dvd? I would really love to see this in OAR.
------------------
Be as gentle with the faults of others as you are with your own - Egg Shen.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DanR

Supporting Actor
This is in the most requested titles and made the cut for a *possible* 2002 release based on a poll @ HTF by Paramount.
Regards,
Dan

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, let me tell you something. In Dragonslayer's case, I'm perfectly happy with a "coming later" rather than a "coming never". Because, honestly, I was starting to think that it might be "never". So, I'm quite cheerful that it's on the radar scope.
(still dancing naked)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
..... http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/ .....
[Edited last by David Lambert on November 04, 2001 at 07:19 AM]

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Like I said in the thread regarding
"What do you want to see in 2002 and 2003,":
With all the interest right now in
Wizards, Sorcery, and Dragons,
I hope Paramount understands that
they have one of the best films
of this genre sitting in their storage.
Mark

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
No kidding, I mean sh*t or get off the pot! It's doesn't take a rocket scientist to confirm this is hot material right now and it would behoove Martin Blythe of Paramount to kick this thing into gear before the interest fades away. (Although I'll always be waiting with cash in hand:emoji_thumbsup: )

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Just thought it was time to ressurect this thread, with
the highly enjoyable, but inferior, Reign of Fire
now on DVD, and since Dragonslayer requests
were responded to, kindly and sincerely with, "...maybe 2003."
Well, 2003 isn't that far away, and I would really like
to know when THE BEST dragon film ever is coming to
DVD!
Mark

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Mark,

I agree. I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for this title. With the success of Fellowship and today's release of Reign, when is there going to be a better time to bring out Slayer?

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone heard anything lately? Just watching the VHS copy...can't wait for an actual 5.1 mix of the greatest movie dragon!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Sergio-

You're not kidding! I just bought the reference book

The Star Wars Chronicles, which features many

"making of" photos, and there is a picture in there

of Vermitrax Prejorative being grabbed by the Rancor,

and I was thinking, "Damn, where is the DVD of

DragonSlayer?"

Come on Paramount!

Mark

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I asked about this in the STUDIO FEEDBACK section about two weeks ago and Mr. Blythe's answer was that it wasn't likely for this year (2003).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Like Krull and other 80s fantasy movies, Dragonslayer is in awful shape and needs work

Patience Daniel-san

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'll never quite figure out what is going on in the decision making process of the studio people who make the decisions that effect whether or not a particular title gets released or not. I always get the feeling that some info is being held back, that that we're not being told the complete truth. In another thread about King Kong I said that if Warners just came out & said exactly why Kong was being delayed that it would put to rest most, if not all speculation & finger pointing about the delay. But most of the "experts" here in this forum seemed to me to think that I was wrong in wanting WB to exhibit truthfulness about the delay & that the public at large would only be confused by any truthful explanation that WB might offer. In this situation with Dragonslayer I think truthfulness about why it will not appear until 2004 or later if at all, would also put to rest a lot of speculation. Just say this is why Dragonslayer will not be released until such & such a timeframe. I'd personally feel a lot better with that kind of an explanation. But I'll bet that my suggestion of corporate truthfulness will get the same sort of reaction that it got in the King Kong thread. Unfortunately my voice is small & not loud enough to make huge companies like WB & Paramount take any notice or to change their way of making decisions that effect what products of theirs that I may buy.

Like Krull and other 80s fantasy movies, Dragonslayer is in awful shape and needs work
So are you the man with the whole truth about why Dragonslayer remains unreleased & off any release schedule?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I wish. I just know what Mr. Blythe has said in the past in regards to the title. Since Dragonslayer is a niche title with a small but loyal fanbase, I'm personally guessing that a lot of it has to do with justifying the money for the work the title will require to the people who hold the wallet. HE knows it will sell, but he doesn't hold the cash, and he has to get those purse strings open.

In the case of King Kong, I don't know the reason why it was delayed. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's possible that Lowry came up with some new techniques they want to use on it, or they might be negotiating with Criterion for their commentary, or some rights issue could have popped up, who knows? Warner was honest and upfront with a "hey guys, not gonna happen this year, but you're going to love when comes out the other end (paraphrase)" so I'm content on waiting for the best possible disc.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Since Dragonslayer is a niche title with a small but loyal fanbase, I'm personally guessing that a lot of it has to do with justifying the money for the work the title will require to the people who hold the wallet.
You could make the same statement when it comes to nearly EVERY catalog title that gets released. I mean, how many requests did Paramount get for something like John Cusack in HOT PURSUIT (which they remastered in 16:9)? Or John Frankenheimer's hysterical awful movie PROPHECY (ditto in 16:9)?

If you say DRAGONSLAYER is a "niche title with a small but loyal fan base," then I can't imagine we'd see most movies made over 10 years ago ever get released on DVD.

As far as the "work" goes, what exactly is wrong with DRAGONSLAYER's elements that they can't do it without major restoration work? There was a remastered LD release in the mid '90s that looked pretty darn good by LD standards -- the movie has always looked dark and grainy, but a lot of that had to do with how it was shot.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have yet to view DRAGONSLAYER properly. What a frustration...like a curse! To whit: When I first attended a theatrical showing, the sound was terribly distorted (the high end screetched). Second time, different theater, the projector lamp was obviously not working to capacity and many sequences were completely unviewable. Next time, when it came to Bangor (Maine) on a re-issue, I dragged some friends to see it and was totally blown away when it turned out the entire sequence in the cave, in which the dragon rises from the water and chases the young sorceror through the tunnels, was...missing! It was a surgical job - quite smooth but with a slight jump a former operator would notice. Some projectionist obviously decided to take these five minutes home. The rest of the movie sucked for me. Then came video. At last! But Paramount's initial laser disc - while having good sound - was pan and scan. Then, after months of delays, the widescreen laser came out. Much too dark a transfer (I know it is a dark movie, but too much detail was lost in this transfer). So I am hoping the extra time it is taking to get this out on DVD will allow me to finally see this film as it should be seen. I can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks