Real Name
Tony D.
I already did.

Either way I don’t think that’s an R rated shot

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Hence my statement

“It was only PG”.

I seriously doubt that fleeting nudity would have earned a PG 13 but the violence sure would have.

Still don't get the point. The discussion is about whether "Dragonslayer" would get a "PG-13" today based on its nudity.

I say yes. Circa 2023, "PG" is essentially what "G" used to be. They're not showing that kind of skin in a "PG" movie these days.

Bringing up another 1981 movie's seems irrelevant.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Are there any G rated movies anymore?

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) was rated G, and I think that hurt the film, at least among 12 year olds who were looking for some action and thrills.

And to add to the discussion above, Hair The Film (1979) was rated PG, despite more than a handful of nude scenes, not to mention drug use and adult themes and language. It wouldn’t be today. Times change.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) was rated G, and I think that hurt the film, at least among 12 year olds who were looking for some action and thrills.

And to add to the discussion above, Hair The Film (1979) was rated PG, despite more than a handful of nude scenes, not to mention drug use and adult themes and language. It wouldn’t be today. Times change.

Yeah, but in those cases, as was already pointed out, it would either be PG or R back then... and R was obviously considered too strong (or negative) for such back then (probably as well as today).

That just means they added PG-13 to better accommodate what should really fit between, not necessarily that "times change" as such at least in such cases.

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
A similar thing happened with The Untouchables from Paramount. The disc has Dolby Atmos and Vision. iTunes has Dolby Vision but no Atmos. Vudu has HDR10 and no Atmos.

Why the studios don't have one master used for all platforms is beyond me.

I guess if no one else has mentioned it Dragonslayer has DA and DV on iTunes now.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) was rated G

Kinda always wished that, when Ilia appears in the transporter or whatever following her abduction by V'Ger, that clothing hadn't miraculously grown on her just before that door slid open!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but in those cases, as was already pointed out, it would either be PG or R back then... and R was obviously considered too strong (or negative) for such back then (probably as well as today).

That just means they added PG-13 to better accommodate what should really fit between, not necessarily that "times change" as such at least in such cases.

_Man_

Yeah, they made "PG-13" because there were too many movies that blurred the lines between "PG" and "R".

As this thread indicates, "PG" was pretty freakin' broad back in the pre-"PG-13" era.

Once "PG-13" came into existence, that left "PG" increasingly more tame.

As I said earlier, "PG" essentially took over for "G".

Not even most Disney movies are "G" these days!

Though I think MPAA was easier on Disney for years so the studio could keep "G".

For instance, 1996's "Hunchback" really shoulda been "PG". Way too intense for "G"!

Anyway, I think a movie with any nude scenes of adults - more than a quick humorous shot of a butt, perhaps - will send the movie "PG-13".

"PG" is neutered.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Up until STAR TREK: TMP, no more major studio films like this would be G rated (teens would see that rating in the 80s as the kiss of death). With the overture, it felt like a Road Show from 1970. THE BLACK HOLE also had an overture -- but was rated PG!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Up until STAR TREK: TMP, no more major studio films like this would be G rated (teens would see that rating in the 80s as the kiss of death). With the overture, it felt like a Road Show from 1970. THE BLACK HOLE also had an overture -- but was rated PG!
Pretty sure one of the reasons the theatrical cut of ST:TMP got a G rating was because
"the ratings board fell asleep while watching it. "
. The Director's Edition was re-rated PG.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
PG-13 is, and always will be a dumb idea. General audience, ‘Parental Guidance’, and ‘Restricted‘ was the perfect ratings system. Not sure why it was tampered with.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
PG-13 is, and always will be a dumb idea. General audience, ‘Parental Guidance’, and ‘Restricted‘ was the perfect ratings system. Not sure why it was tampered with.
Blame Spielberg. It was his proposal to the MPAA after parental outcry over Gremlins and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Given that there is no qualitative difference between PG and PG-13 [kids can still get into a PG-13 without parental supervision, as the parents are only "strongly cautioned"], it's a buggy whip of a rating.
Ooooh GIF

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
JAWS is PG and bloodier than TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.
"May Be Too Intense For Young Children."
Somebody greased the MPAA palm for that one.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I disagree. If you’re going to have a ratings system, it doesn’t make sense to group films for 7 year olds in with those suitable for 14 year olds. The PG-13 rating was a skilled attempt to address that problem.

Well, I don't know if I'd associate "skilled" with anything MPAA ever did ;), but I agree they needed something between "PG" and "R".

"G" ceased to be used in its original sense by the early 1980s - same as what happened to "X".

Heck, Roy's kid in "CE3K" refers disparagingly to movies "rated 'G' for kids" - and he was 8!

"PG" had to cover a lot of territory, from movies barely "adult" enough to not be "G" to movies that skirted the violence/sex/nudity line with "R".

So while not always artfully - or consistently - executed, I think "PG-13" was necessary.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think it was an "official" rating as I believe MPAA assigned it to pics like Midnight Cowboy and the original release of A Clockwork Orange, but MPAA never trademarked it which led to it being co-opted by the adult film industry and the switch to the trademarked rating, NC-17.

In historical references, it's also listed as part of the "MPAA ratings system" from 1970 until 1990.

(Wikipedia) The ratings used from 1984 to 1990 were:
  • Rated G: General audiences – All ages admitted.
  • Rated PG: Parental guidance suggested – Some material may not be suitable for children.
  • Rated PG-13: Parents strongly cautioned – Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.
  • Rated R: Restricted – Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
  • Rated X: No one under 17 admitted.
The ratings used from 1990 to 1996 were:
  • Rated G: General audiences – All ages admitted.
  • Rated PG: Parental guidance suggested – Some material may not be suitable for children.
  • Rated PG-13: Parents strongly cautioned – Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.
  • Rated R: Restricted – Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
  • Rated NC-17: No children under 17 admitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks