What's new

A House on Haunted Hill Inquiry... (2 Viewers)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
From my understanding, William Castle's original House on Haunted Hill was never available, on physical media, in high definition outside of Scream Factory's Vincent Price Collection (one of the volumes), yet it is available in a plethora of DVD variants -- most likely due to the public domain status. I've had the Alpha Video DVD since around 04 or so, and it's definitely beginning to show its age and limits now that we watch it on a 65" 4K screen (the 4:3 pillarboxed image just doesn't look that great, to say the least).

What is THE definitive version of this flick on DVD at the moment and out of what is actually available to buy? Is it the Warner Bros. anamorphic variant or the "Detective Series" one? I'd like a widescreen version of the film, if possible, with a transfer that's better than the Alpha Video full screen mess, but can anyone point me in the right direction?

Further -- can it be 100-percent confirmed that NO Blu-ray release of this film has ever been made available either in the States or overseas (outside of it being included in Scream's aforementioned Price Collection)?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Coulda sword Warner Bros proper put this out on Blu. No? DVD only?

1696290331516.png

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
As far as I know, there's never been a high definition release of this; so is the Warner DVD the best version? What of that so-called "Anniversary Edition" that reportedly used a "new widescreen transfer"?

1696366282434.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't find much about the edition pictured above other than one comment on Eb*y and it isn't good.

It's a PD film, so it's hard to know what quality you will get from the many DVD releases. I'd either seek the Film Detective release posted previously in the other thread, or the original Warner release from 1999 (as Dick also posted, above):

1696367524376.png

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I don't find much about the edition pictured above other than one comment on Eb*y and it isn't good.

It's a PD film, so it's hard to know what quality you will get from the many DVD releases. I'd either seek the Film Detective release posted previously in the other thread, or the original Warner release from 1999 (as Dick also posted, above):

View attachment 199801
Thanks Malcom.

Well, whatever disc I choose HAS to be better than the awful looking 4:3 Alpha Video variant -- as long as it's widescreen and anamorphic, I think I'll be pleased.

I think the Film Detective version isn't widescreen...am I wrong about that? To that end, what thread are you referring to?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There's been a similar discussion in this thread:

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
There's been a similar discussion in this thread:

Ah, yes, I had contributed there but thought it would be more appropriate to start a new one focusing on this question (didn't want to continue derailing the 3D discussion there).

I wish I knew what the definitive DVD version of this flick is before taking a guess and just making a purchase; I realize that I said anything would be better than my Alpha Video release, but I'd still like to be sure which one boasts a solid anamorphic transfer.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Seems it is a snapper case.

Before I pull the trigger on a used copy I found via Walmart.com -- there appears to be no new copies floating around -- can anyone give me some feedback on this following Amazon customer "review" in which the individual was far from pleased with the widescreen transfer on this flipper platter? Granted, he mentions watching the 16:9 version on a 4:3 screen -- which is weird -- but still...

Any thoughts? Should I be worried about what he points out in this commentary, or is the widescreen transfer -- for those who are familiar with it -- intact to the point that it doesn't cut anything off like the reviewer suggests?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This review is for the 1999 Warner DVD of House on Haunted Hill. This version comes in a "snapper case" (with the plastic snap to hold shut the cardboard cover), and has the TV-formatted version on one side, and the "widescreen" version on the other. It includes a scene menu and trailer, but no other special features.

I watched both versions on my traditional 4:3 square television set. I also pulled out my 1997 Warner VHS and compared many scenes on it with the two versions on the DVD. The comparison leads to disappointing conclusions.

The "widescreen version" shows the usual black bands on the top and bottom, but the ratio (I measured the screen image with a measuring tape) is only 1.65:1, not 1.85:1 which was the original theatrical ratio. It's not a huge difference, but I think Amazon customers should know this. More important, the for some reason I cannot grasp (it makes no sense geometrically), even with the 1:65 to 1 ratio, the widescreen version shows virtually *no* information at the sides of the picture that is not shown in the non-widescreen DVD or in the VHS; and since I bought the DVD for the purpose of getting the full image as shown in theatres, I felt ripped off by Warner.

And it gets worse. In addition to showing virtually no more width than my old VHS version shows, the widescreen version shows much less at the top and bottom; in one scene several pictures high on the wall in a room are completely cut off in the widescreen DVD, whereas the VHS shows them; and in several other scenes things near the bottom (parts of people's hands, table legs, etc.) are cut out in the widescreen DVD version. So basically, for "widescreen" I got the same picture I already had on VHS, only cut off at the top and bottom. It's as if they took a TV-formatted print of the film, and simply lopped up stuff at the top and bottom to create a fake widescreen impression. That's grossly misleading.

Further, even the TV-formatted version on this DVD, while showing more of the top and bottom than the widescreen version, does not show as much of the top and bottom as the 1997 VHS version. (For example, in the scene mentioned above, you can't see the pictures above the door lintel in the DVD version that you can see in the VHS version.) So basically, if you want to see the greatest possible amount of the original theatrical image, you are better off with the 1997 VHS than with either of the versions on this 1999 DVD.

The "up" side is of course that, since VHS images, being stored on magnetic tape, slowly lose quality over time, the DVD image is sharper and clearer and hence pleasanter to watch than my 1997 VHS version currently is. There are a few flaws here and there, presumably representing flaws in the original print used for reproduction, but mostly it's clean and enjoyable. The sound is good, though I don't think any better than on the Warner VHS.

I bought a brand-new version of this DVD from an Amazon-affiliated merchant, and as the price was very good, I'm not complaining about either Amazon or the merchant; at least I now have a more permanent DVD copy of the film, to replace the inevitably decaying VHS version. But I thought that anyone looking for the true original theatrical ratio should know that they won't get it from this 1999 DVD version. Whether any other DVD version shows the full 1.85:1 ratio, without cutting off the top and bottom, I cannot say.

The DVD gets 3/5, for the misleading claim of widescreen and the lack of special features other than a trailer. I would recommend it only if you want to replace your VHS with a DVD.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
- fascinating finding the best DVD for this flick, hope you find it, and please keep us updated
- I saw this thread highlighted on the homepage. Kascade1309 is a terrific researcher.
- Stunning that the 2014 Blu-ray set's price ha$ blown up!
house on haunted hill horror movies GIF by absurdnoise

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
- fascinating finding the best DVD for this flick, hope you find it, and please keep us updated
- I saw this thread highlighted on the homepage. Kascade1309 is a terrific researcher.
- Stunning that the 2014 Blu-ray set's price ha$ blown up!
house on haunted hill horror movies GIF by absurdnoise
Thanks Jim; I hope someone responds with their thoughts about whether this purchase is worth it before I order, as that feedback I provided didn't look promising...

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The description the widescreen version “cutting things off” is how virtually every non-CinemaScope widescreen film is transferred to widescreen video. The film was shot open-matte (basically full 4x3 frame) with the intention that it be cropped in theaters to the widescreen ratio. For the old tv broadcasts and videotapes designed for 4x3 televisions, they transfer the film without cropping so you get more height at the expense of incorrect framing.

The widescreen version is how it was presented in theaters. The Warner DVD (and Shout Blu) are the best ways to see the film in its theatrical presentation.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
The description the widescreen version “cutting things off” is how virtually every non-CinemaScope widescreen film is transferred to widescreen video. The film was shot open-matte (basically full 4x3 frame) with the intention that it be cropped in theaters to the widescreen ratio. For the old tv broadcasts and videotapes designed for 4x3 televisions, they transfer the film without cropping so you get more height at the expense of incorrect framing.

The widescreen version is how it was presented in theaters. The Warner DVD (and Shout Blu) are the best ways to see the film in its theatrical presentation.
Hmmm - I wondered that, too, during this discussion. Maybe someone could reach out to the audio commentary's historian Steve Haberman to help?
1696710012398.png

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S

Thanks.

So there's nothing to be concerned about with regard to that Amazon reviewer's comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks