What's new

Is There Any Reason Why DRAGONSLAYER Couldn't Get A Great 4K Release? (1 Viewer)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
what has he said that hasn't been released? Sorry, It's just everything I've seen him mention has been released on disc eventually. But I admit I don't follow him every week.

I don't remember specifics, but they have a habit of posting rumors as if they were official announcements. Also, if a title shows up on streaming, they'll post that a disc is coming, which isn't always the case.

I don't think this person has actual studio sources providing info on new releases. They just follow internet chatter and post it as news.

Yeah even Bill Hunt has said through sources he's heard it is coming to 4K in January.

I bet you that's where Discfather is getting this from, then. Not from the studio itself, but from Hunt's Rumor Mill column.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Guess I'd have to ask, why wouldn't Paramount release this? There is, I would imagine, a fair demand for it, at least on Blu-ray. My understanding is that it has done quite well on earlier video formats. I just want to see it actually looking great for the first time ever (I saw it three times in 1981 in different theaters).

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Got a feeling a hell of a lot of people are going to be real happy real soon the question is which flavor do you want it in standard edition or steelbook

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Update Via Bill Hunt

Matthew Robbins’ Dragonslayer (1981) has just been listed for pre-order on Amazon on Blu-ray on 2/21. There’s no 4K Ultra HD listed yet, but note that this film has been remastered in 4K and in fact you can now purchase it in 4K Digital on Vudu. We expect it to be available via other Digital retailers soon too, and we have reason to believe that it’s coming to 4K Ultra HD as well. The question is: Is this one of those cases where the 4K UHD comes directly with the initial remastered Blu-ray, or does it come to 4K Digital first and then the UHD disc comes several months later. We should know very soon. In the meantime, here’s the Blu-ray pre-order link.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Update Via Bill Hunt

Matthew Robbins’ Dragonslayer (1981) has just been listed for pre-order on Amazon on Blu-ray on 2/21. There’s no 4K Ultra HD listed yet, but note that this film has been remastered in 4K and in fact you can now purchase it in 4K Digital on Vudu. We expect it to be available via other Digital retailers soon too, and we have reason to believe that it’s coming to 4K Ultra HD as well. The question is: Is this one of those cases where the 4K UHD comes directly with the initial remastered Blu-ray, or does it come to 4K Digital first and then the UHD disc comes several months later. We should know very soon. In the meantime, here’s the Blu-ray pre-order link.

For that price, I doubt there will be any bonus features whatsoever. Damn!! But, the movie appears to actually be on the way!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For that price, I doubt there will be any bonus features whatsoever. Damn!! But, the movie appears to actually be on the way!
I doubt it will include a Blu-ray disc with only the 4K disc in this release. Maybe, a digital code, but that’s questionable too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I doubt it will include a Blu-ray disc with only the 4K disc in this release. Maybe, a digital code, but that’s questionable too.
There is good news as Amazon has posted three different links this morning. One is for the Blu-ray at $17.99 MSRP with two being 4K releases with one of them being a Steelbook. The 4K/UHD's are priced at $25.99 and $30.99.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Now that we finally have Dragonslayer, lets keep the classic 80's coming:

Cocoon
Tron
Ladyhawke
Terminator

Tron has way too many opticals to make for even a moderately decent UHD. Plus, it's Disney, which means a physical release is unlikely. The "Special Edition" Blu-ray (from 11 years ago!) is a pretty solid release already.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Now that we finally have Dragonslayer, lets keep the classic 80's coming:

Cocoon
Tron
Ladyhawke
Terminator

Tron has way too many opticals to make for even a moderately decent UHD. Plus, it's Disney, which means a physical release is unlikely. The "Special Edition" Blu-ray (from 11 years ago!) is a pretty solid release already.
The other issue with Tron is the nature of the opticals. The backlit animation was produced by producing massive transparencies and doing multiple passes with various portions of the frame backlit. It's the kind of labour intensive process that builds up grain that cannot be removed by digital recompositing. It's a uniquely analogue approach.

The others should mostly be fine, but the question is whether anything can be gained from 4K UHD with these titles. Not sure if Cameron has the same sign-off rights with respect to the original Terminator, but if T2 is anything to go by, I'd expect a fully degrained "Madame Tussaud's" version. The current BD looks really good, FWIW.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The other issue with Tron is the nature of the opticals. The backlit animation was produced by producing massive transparencies and doing multiple passes with various portions of the frame backlit. It's the kind of labour intensive process that builds up grain that cannot be removed by digital recompositing. It's a uniquely analogue approach.

True, but I imagine that same backlighting approach could benefit from HDR.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, they've kicked the release date down the road from January to February and now to March 21. Guess I can hold out until then. Commentary with director Robbins and Guillermo del Toro. Six-part documentary (Paramount likes these). Interviews. Trailer. 4K. Gorgeous-looking steelbook. Yeah, I guess that, since I've been campaigning on this forum for just a Blu-ray for a decade, I can wait three more months for its arrival. It only seems curious to me that it isn't being released as part of its Paramount Presents line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks