What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Roman Holiday -- in 4k UHD (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
William Wyler's terrific 1953 Roman Holiday is one of those problem films. It's also a bit of a mystery. There are a handful of early 1950s Paramount black & white production, for which the OCNs are simply no longer extant. Some understandably were copied to safety and destroyed.

But one might question why Roman Holidays, a film shot in Rome (and on Melrose) in mid-1952. Were they using up the final stocks of nitrate in Rome?

Regardless, there have been several attempts at being Roman Holiday back into form, and this new 4k from Paramount adds a tiny bit of extra detail (grain) via a higher data throughput.

Is there anything about the current master that's 4k? Dream on. Not even 2k, so the earlier Blu-ray should be quite sufficient under the circumstances.

But one must give Paramount credit for going above and beyond in trying to eek out the very last drop of image from the extant dupe.

Gray scale is fine. Decent blacks, good stability. There's no downside here, but the question remains that unless one is a super-fan of the film, and also a 4k addict, is this a viable upgrade?

I can't answer that question. The numbers below tell the story.

Image – 3.75 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby TrueHd Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Worth your attention - 10

Upgrade from Blu-ray - If you love it and want the tiniest incremental advantage

Slipcover rating - 2 (it's shiny)

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I remember MOMA showed restorations of both "Roman Holiday" and "Sunset Boulevard" apparently back in 2002. I remember at the screening they said the restoration was done digitally and the results were then converted back to 35 MM for the screening. I wish there was more information on this but the only info I found was that there was such a screening at MOMA. I don't know what digital would have been like back then. I don't remember what elements they said were available and why it had to be done digitally. I am sure they mentioned it at the screening but after over 20 years the memory is fuzzy. MOMA was under renovations and they rented the Gramercy Theater for the screening.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I remember MOMA showed restorations of both "Roman Holiday" and "Sunset Boulevard" apparently back in 2002. I remember at the screening they said the restoration was done digitally and the results were then converted back to 35 MM for the screening. I wish there was more information on this but the only info I found was that there was such a screening at MOMA. I don't know what digital would have been like back then. I don't remember what elements they said were available and why it had to be done digitally. I am sure they mentioned it at the screening but after over 20 years the memory is fuzzy. MOMA was under renovations and they rented the Gramercy Theater for the screening.

It looked like a very nice kinescope

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It looked like a very nice kinescope
Ah you were there. Not good then. I thought it may have been when Dalton Trumbo got his writer credit added to the film but that apparently happened in 2011.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ah you were there. Not good then. I thought it may have been when Dalton Trumbo got his writer credit added to the film but that apparently happened in 2011.
I was at a private screening at MOMI possibly 20 years ago, viewed examples of both RH as well as SB

RickardL

Supporting Actor
How is the framing? The blu-ray is a bit zoomed in but also shows a bit more of the right side whereas the DVD shows a bit more info on the left, top and bottom.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Is there anything about the current master that's 4k? Dream on. Not even 2k, so the earlier Blu-ray should be quite sufficient under the circumstances.
Thank you Mr. Harris. That was the only thing I wanted to know as I'm very happy with the Blu-ray disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just got done watching the 4K/UHD release of this classic movie in which the Mbps average rate is even lower than Rio Bravo. I suspect there will be complaints about it too. I don't have the 2021 Blu-ray, but I'm not sure this 4K/UHD is a significant improvement over that Blu-ray. Somebody that has both discs will have to comment in that regard. However, it's a huge improvement over my 2002 DVD so I'm relatively happy with this 4K/UHD release. That said, this isn't a reference 4K/UHD release for a classic movie like The Maltese Falcon or Casablanca. Not in my humble opinion.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just got done watching the 4K/UHD release of this classic movie in which the Mbps average rate is even lower than Rio Bravo. I suspect there will be complaints about it too. I don't have the 2021 Blu-ray, but I'm not sure this 4K/UHD is a significant improvement over that Blu-ray. Somebody that has both discs will have to comment in that regard. However, it's a huge improvement over my 2002 DVD so I'm relatively happy with this 4K/UHD release. That said, this isn't a reference 4K/UHD release for a classic movie like The Maltese Falcon or Casablanca. Not in my humble opinion.
It can be lower w/o affecting image quality. 1.37 vs 1.85. B/W.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
There were reports of audio sync issues with the Paramount Presents Blu-ray at the time of release, were those reports real?
If so, was sync corrected in a later pressing and/or in the regular Blu-ray accompanying this release?

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
If you are going off of your player's video bitrate meter, then you are getting a false perception. The meter can only read the HDR10 data layer. Roman Holiday is a 12 bit, dual layered FEL Dolby Vision encode and so, like many Paramount DV encodes, the HDR10 layer was basically sacrificed in the Dolby Vision automation settings and that gave the extra necessary bits to the differential data of the second video layer of the DV stream. You have to see the combined bitrate of the full, reconstructed Dolby Vision video stream.

A similar issue occurred on Criterion's 4k release of Wall-E. If you compare the bitrate of the original 4k Disney disc in HDR10 to the Criterion's HDR10 layer, you would think the Criterion release was pretty bad. The Criterion also had a lot of banding that wasn't present in the first 4k disc release. However, once you watched the Criterion version in 12 bit FEL Dolby Vision, the issues went away and the image actually ended up being superior to the older HDR10 only release. That's because the secondary DV layer got a healthy chunk of the video data.

Rio Bravo has its own compression issues because it's not a dual layered Dolby Vision encode. WB simply didn't do a good job with that one... probably just used a one pass automated encode and didn't spot check it.

Last edited:

RickardL

Supporting Actor
How is the framing? The blu-ray is a bit zoomed in but also shows a bit more of the right side whereas the DVD shows a bit more info on the left, top and bottom.
The UHD is similar to the blu-ray in terms of framing. Image shows DVD (red) and blu-ray (blue).

Attachments

• romanholiday.jpg
    romanholiday.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks