What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It often occurs that when an important film arrives, there may be problems inherent in the elements, transfer, ie color, densities, HDR, et al.

John Carpenter's 1987 Prince of Darkness is not one of those films.

It's a beautifully resolved 4k UHD Blu-ray, with delicately added Dolby Atmos.

The only downside, except for Carpenter fans is that it's not among his top level works. It's probably a C level production,
that begins hopefully, with an interesting setup, and then plunges into B film darkness.

For Carpenter completists, Shout!'s new 4k will be a welcome Holiday gift. A beautifully resolved, properly grained, meaty image, with great sound to boot.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Recommended (for Carpenter fans)

RAH

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've never been a fan of this film, but I may pick up the 4K and give it another chance. Good to know that it's been given a worthy treatment. Thanks for the comments!

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
buying physical copies of john carpenter movies is why we're all here...

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
buying physical copies of john carpenter movies is why we're all here...
I agree!
IMG_3048.jpg

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
Out of curiosity has anyone compared the Studio Canal disc to the SCREAM! Disc? I own the Studio Canal disc and was quite happy with the PQ/SQ - I did not realize the SCREAM! Disc contained ATMOS until Mr. Harris' review. Not a great film, but Carpenter in 4K is magic. Please bring on Big Trouble in Little China :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I remember hating this film when I first saw it. I may purchase it digitally for $5 in 4K when it goes on sale on iTunes to give it another shot.

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
I can't say I'm optimistic about it happening but since Shout currently has Big Trouble licensed, they may also be able to release a UHD of it before the license runs out.
FOX did a new 4k master of that, someone will eventually put that out in HDR...

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I remember hating this film when I first saw it. I may purchase it digitally for $5 in 4K when it goes on sale on iTunes to give it another shot.
I didn’t hate it. I was underwhelmed by it but it has grown on me. I expected a BIGGER movie after his mother Hollywood films.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I didn’t hate it. I was underwhelmed by it but it has grown on me. I expected a BIGGER movie after his mother Hollywood films.
It was never going to be bigger because it was the start of his deal with Alive Films which gave him total creative control and final cut as long as he kept to a shoestring budget. His Hollywood experiences were so negative that he was happy compromising the scope of his productions as long as he was not being interfered with.

I actually reacted very negatively to Prince of Darkness in 1987, and even left the theatre to take a bathroom break in the middle of the film -- which is something that I never do. (I'll sit there in pain all the way to the end of the credits instead.) But the years have been very kind to it. Back then, I thought that his reach exceeded his grasp, but now I recognize that his ambitions were a bit more limited in the first place. If you let go of any lofty expectations, it is a very enjoyable flick with an interesting angle on what I call the "scientific evil" subgenre. (Movies like Quatermass and the Pit or Horror Express which offer a pseudoscientific explanation for the presence of evil or even Satan himself.)

Great disc, too. Very worth the upgrade to UHD.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Owned by Disney now? I don’t think it will occur anytime soon for catalog titles.
Speed and Heat were both recently announced on UHD in May. There is a tiny chink in the Disney/Fox armor. Not holding my breath, but if those two actually sell pretty well, who knows?

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
It’s certainly one of Carpenter’s more low key movies and feels like one he might have made earlier in his career but it does have its moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks