What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jean Luc Godard was oft quoted in Cahiers du Cinema that his favorite film was National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. He wrote rather long pieces on the film and why he prefers it to its predecessors, the iconic Vacation (1983) and European Vacation (1985). From what I recall, it all came down to his preference for the writing of John Hughes, who almost pushed Jerry Lewis out of some French popularity polls.

As a part of Warner Bros. 2022 Christmas holiday 4k product barrage (along with Elf, Christmas Story and The Polar Express) Christmas Vacation beats it's earlier works to 4k-ville.

But M. Godard would be wondering what it looks like, and I'm happy to relate that it's just fine.

Derived from a 4k scan of the OCN, and with grain unsullied, color brilliant, and every tech element in its proper place, it pops of a projection screen and attempts to brighten the world around it.

M. Godard and I disagree on the importance of the film, although he may be reading more to the film in political terms. I greatly prefer the first in the series.

Image - 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (DTS -HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks