What's new

Doctor Who producer dies (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
John Nathan-Turner, who produced the classic BBC science fiction series 'Doctor Who' between 1980 and its cancellation in 1989, has died after a short illness (reports the Technical Forum of the Doctor Who Restoration Team www.restoration-team.co.uk). He was the longest-serving producer on the show, which was the world's longest-running sci-fi series.
JNT (as he was commonly known) took over as producer for Tom Baker's final year, after a spell as Production Unit Manager, and in his first year revamped everything; title sequence, theme music arrangement, even costumes.
His last recorded interview was in March for the forthcoming DVD release of 'Resurrection of the Daleks', and by all accounts he was very unwell then.
RIP.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
A sad loss. :frowning: While I'm not the greatest fan of the Doctor Who episodes he produced (with a few big exceptions), he did much to promote the series. I never met him, but I know people who did - and they told me what a genuinely nice bloke he was.
RIP.

Brian Lloyd

Auditioning
Sad news, although personally I think JNT should have left the series with Peter Davison, perhaps then the series wouldn't have degenerated into a camp pantomime farce 7 would still be on air today.

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
This is very sad news. I was just watching the DVD of Caves of Androzani the other day, wondering what JNT was up to.

His beard and hawaiian shirt were as recognizable to Who fans, as Lucas' flannel is to SW fans.

Sad indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks