What's new

Netflix That '90s Show (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The series premiere of "The '70s Show" aired in 1998 and was set in 1976, twenty-two years earlier. It's depressing to think about, but the nineties now are actually quite a bit further in the past than the seventies were then. This show is set in 1995, which is more than a quarter of a century ago.

Unlike the failed and short-lived "That '80s Show", which only had a tangential connection to the original series, this new Netflix series is a direct successor.

Logline:
Hello, Wisconsin! It's 1995 and Leia Forman, daughter of Eric and Donna, is visiting her grandparents for the summer, where she bonds with a new generation of Point Place kids under the watchful eye of Kitty and the stern glare of Red. Sex, drugs and rock 'n roll never dies, it just changes clothes.

Like the original series, this one will be multi-camera. The first season will be 10 episodes.

Gregg Mettler, who wrote 15 episodes of "That '70s Show" will serve as showrunner. The husband-wife team of Bonnie Turner and Terry Turner, who co-created "That '70s Show" will executive produce this spinoff, and will also write for the show along with their daughter Lindsey Turner.

Like the original show, the Carsey-Werner Company is the production company and Marcy Carsey and Tom Werner will be executive producers.

Kurtwood Smith and Debra Jo Rupp will also serve as executive producers.

Main Cast:
  • Callie Haverda (The Lost Husband, "Shut Eye") as Leia Forman: "Smart like her mom, snarky like her dad, Leia is craving adventure. She's just not quite sure where or how to start. Until she discovers a best friend in the most unlikely of places: next door to her grandparents house in Point Place."
  • Ashley Aufderheide ("Emergence", Infinitely Polar Bear, Four Kids and It) as Gwen: "Life gets more interesting for Leia when she meets this Riot Grrrl. Equal parts loyalty, rebellion and heart, Gwen is a dynamic powerhouse and the unofficial leader of the new generation of Point Place kids. Love Gwen. Fear her. Follow her."
  • Mace Coronel ("Wireless", "Colin in Black & White") as Jay: "Jay is charming and flirty - at least, he tries. It doesn't always come out right. When he's not hanging out with his best friend Nate or working at the local video store, he's armed with a video camera and the whole world is his film set."
  • Maxwell Acee Donovan ("Gabby Duran & The Unsittables") as Nate: "The polar opposite of his little sister, Gwen. Nate takes life as it comes, usually with a big open smile. He lets the gang ride in his van because there's always something fun on the other side of the drive. He loves his family, his girlfriend and Garth Brooks."
  • Reyn Doi (Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar, "Side Hustle", "Drama Club") as Ozzie: "Everyone loves them some Ozzie. He's insightful, sarcastic and has perspective beyond his years. Ozzie is gay and impatient with the world for not being as accepting as his friends."
  • Sam Morelos as Nikki: "Nikki is focused, smart, and driven. From the outside, you could easily see her becoming a doctor or a lawyer. But inside, she has more rebellion than a frustrated debutante and her boyfriend Nate can scratch that itch."
with:
  • Kurtwood Smith as Red Foreman: "A classic never goes out of style. When the new kids bring out the old Red, the spring in Red's step puts a spring in Kitty's too!"

and:
  • Debra Jo Rupp as Kitty Foreman: "A whole new world opens to Kitty with the new generation and she is right at home. It has never been cooler to be Kitty."

Per Deadline, Topher Grace, Laura Prepon, Mila Kunis, and Ashton Kutcher are all in negotiations to make appearances. Wilmer Valderrama, who currently a series regular on "NCIS", is not expected to appear in the first season. Danny Masterson, who was fired by Netflix on a previous series after multiple rape allegations surfaced, is not expected to participate at all.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm really looking forward to this. I loved the original show, and rewatched it last year on blu-ray. It'll be nice seeing the original cast recur, but even better that the show is anchored by Kurtwood Smith and Debra Jo Rupp.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Will definitely give this a chance. Looking forward to it!

1644166157855.gif

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The rest of the cast, minus Danny Masterson, is also returning.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I didn’t watch That ‘70s Show, aside from glancing reruns. It wasn’t my thing at the time. But I’m curious about That ‘90s Show. I’ll probably give it a try.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Very much looking forward to this. Kurtwood Smith and Debra Jo Rupp could carry the show, but the new kids look like fun.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I like how the house looks twenty years older. The bones are the same, but it feels like the nineties at an older couple's place and not still like the seventies. And then the basement has been preserved pretty much as it was, because who redecorates a basement?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched the pilot of the new show. I thought it was terrific. Enough older characters and situations to bring you back into it, but just enough fresh-faced new characters to make it different. The young woman playing Leia seems to be hitting all the right notes.

Looking forward to watching these 10 episodes over the next couple of weeks. (I’m not a binge-it-in-a-weekend person.)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I watched the pilot of the new show. I thought it was terrific. Enough older characters and situations to bring you back into it, but just enough fresh-faced new characters to make it different. The young woman playing Leia seems to be hitting all the right notes.

Looking forward to watching these 10 episodes over the next couple of weeks. (I’m not a binge-it-in-a-weekend person.)
I watched the first two episodes and I’m really enjoying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks