What's new

TV ON BLU BEFORE I DIE - PRETTY PLEASE (2 Viewers)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
P+ seems to do that with a number of their shows. You can't find complete runs of some of them. No idea why, but that's their choice at the moment. I'll always go for owning the physical disc for just this reason.
At times, I take advantage of both since I generally already have the DVDs. I can watch the smattering of Odd Couple episodes streaming in HD while filling in the missing gaps with my DVDs. Gunsmoke has a tendency to be syndicated in three separate packages due to the quantity of episodes. I only get P+ through Amazon Prime, which does not have Gunsmoke, but I'm guessing STARZ may be able re-license it at some point and hopefully will show it in the standard syndication packages. Otherwise, the CBS/Paramount DVDs of Gunsmoke, with their exceptional quality, will do in a pinch.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Why did CBS-P do so well w/the releases of that hit 1955-75 CBS Western (put so much into them, apparently)?
Actually. most of the CBS/P classic TV series got the sane excellent treatment (e.g., Perry Mason, Bonanza, Fugitive, I Love Lucy, etc). CDB/P from the get-go was creating HD masters in preparation for their DVD releases. A few series didn't get the treatment at all. A few have some seasons without the full treatment. Some are still to be completed. But overall CBS/P did a great job on a great many of their series.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Actually. most of the CBS/P classic TV series got the sane excellent treatment (e.g., Perry Mason, Bonanza, Fugitive, I Love Lucy, etc). CDB/P from the get-go was creating HD masters in preparation for their DVD releases. A few series didn't get the treatment at all. A few have some seasons without the full treatment. Some are still to be completed. But overall CBS/P did a great job on a great many of their series.

You’re exactly right, Brad. Unfortunately for me two personal favorites from CBS/P did not get the best treatment when released on DVD – Have Gun, Will Travel, and Rawhide. Both had multiple season sets that were not remastered into HD quality. Pity.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
You’re exactly right, Brad. Unfortunately for me two personal favorites from CBS/P did not get the best treatment when released on DVD – Have Gun, Will Travel, and Rawhide. Both had multiple season sets that were not remastered into HD quality. Pity.

Have Gun was like that for only the first half of its run, though, IIRC-- when they started getting into volumes for the second half of the run, the quality improved immensely (but then, at least one volume release on the second half of the run lacked subtitles as well).

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Gary, you will be happy to know that Rawhide now has HD masters for all seasons. I can't see them fixing any of the DVDs, and the chances of a blu-ray release might be slim. However, they didn't do it for nothing, so I would expect all seasons to at least stream in HD eventually. Can't say if/when HGWT will be completed.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Have Gun was like that for only the first half of its run, though, IIRC-- when they started getting into volumes for the second half of the run, the quality improved immensely (but then, at least one volume release on the second half of the run lacked subtitles as well).

Right. The first 3 seasons were NOT remastered and looked a bit ragged in spots. And then the last 3 seasons were remastered - and look fantastic. Just wish we could get the entire series in HD.

Gary, you will be happy to know that Rawhide now has HD masters for all seasons. I can't see them fixing any of the DVDs, and the chances of a blu-ray release might be slim. However, they didn't do it for nothing, so I would expect all seasons to at least stream in HD eventually. Can't say if/when HGWT will be completed.

Thanks for that info, Brad. I've actually seen the HD episodes broadcast on the Inspiration channel in recent weeks. It all looks fantastic, including episodes from Season 1 and Season 4 (the two that were NOT remastered for the DVD releases). Hoping to see that series be available soon one way or the other.

Gary "bring on more vintage TV westerns in HD" O.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I can't speak to Rawhide, but the Have Gun reruns I've been catching on Pluto have looked pretty nice.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I can't speak to Rawhide, but the Have Gun reruns I've been catching on Pluto have looked pretty nice.
Just checked the prints out. Sadly, the first 3 seasons still aren't remastered on the Pluto channel. But thanks for the alert. I'm glad the show is getting run online.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just checked the prints out. Sadly, the first 3 seasons still aren't remastered on the Pluto channel. But thanks for the alert. I'm glad the show is getting run online.
Paramount Syndication Bible from 2019 so still no remasters of the first 3 seasons no change from 2013

HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL​

Number of episodes available223 (225 Produced)
Number of seasons aired6
Years produced1957-1963
Network carried onCBS

The information in this package is subject to change and was last updated 02/21/13.

This series is not closed-captioned and is mono.

This series does not have Latin American Spanish tracks.

This series has been partially transferred into HD and has the following masters:

Network HD 4x3 (Currently Seasons 4 - 6, 108 episodes.)

Real Name
Delmo
At this point I'll take any of these, whether dvd or blu...

Dragnet b/w(Hell, I'll accept Badge 714 episodes)
Ivanhoe(Roger Moore)
Tightrope(Mike Connors)
The Alaskans(Roger Moore)
For The People(William Shatner)
Fantastic Four(H-B)
Green Hornet
The Name of the Game
Spider-Man(Nicholas Hammond)
The Odd Couple(blu-ray;missing music restored)
The Tony Randall Show
Fall Guy(seasons 3-6)
Bodies of Evidence(Lee Horsley, George Clooney)
The Saint(blu-ray;Simon Dutton version-original prints, not video tape transfer)
The Exile(Geoffrey Meek)
Fortune Hunter

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Heck, I'd even re-buy The Addams Family on single-sided DVDs (IIRC, all we got were flippers).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
At this point I'll take any of these, whether dvd or blu...

Dragnet b/w(Hell, I'll accept Badge 714 episodes)
Ivanhoe(Roger Moore)
Tightrope(Mike Connors)
The Alaskans(Roger Moore)
For The People(William Shatner)
Fantastic Four(H-B)
Green Hornet
The Name of the Game
Spider-Man(Nicholas Hammond)
The Odd Couple(blu-ray;missing music restored)
The Tony Randall Show
Fall Guy(seasons 3-6)
Bodies of Evidence(Lee Horsley, George Clooney)
The Saint(blu-ray;Simon Dutton version-original prints, not video tape transfer)
The Exile(Geoffrey Meek)
Fortune Hunter

Wow. Someone else who watched that show! I was bummed out that the Remo Williams TV pilot, with Jeffrey Meek as Remo, never made it onto any of the blu-rays of the film.

Venus Flytrap

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty
Wow. Someone else who watched that show! I was bummed out that the Remo Williams TV pilot, with Jeffrey Meek as Remo, never made it onto any of the blu-rays of the film.
Same here. Would love to have gotten the Remo TV pilot on blu-ray with the film.

Wouldn't mind getting Jeffrey Meek's Raven (with extended pilot) on blu-ray too.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
T.H.E. Cat
12 O'Clock High (Season 1, anyway)
Dragnet (1950s)
M Squad
The Champions
The Addams Family
The Fugitive
The Wild, Wild West
One Step Beyond
Suspicion
Mr. Novak
The Invaders
The Green Hornet
Captain Nice
77 Sunset Strip
Journey to the Unknown
Rawhide
Have Gun, Will Travel

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Remastered BD of Yancey Derringer

Attachments

• 510Lzheb9AL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    510Lzheb9AL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 44
  • gettyimages-1160048368-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-1160048368-612x612.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Yancy_Derringer_cast_2.JPG
    Yancy_Derringer_cast_2.JPG
    389.2 KB · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks