What's new

Netflix That '90s Show (Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I binged this yesterday and I agree that it did a really good job of feeling like the 70's show, but a newer generation. I think the actress playing Leia is perfect imho. She did feel like she could be a daughter of Eric and Donna.

I am not happy who they chose for her first romantic hookup.
I didn't like that the "sweet" girl fell for the Kelso type. I hate seeing supposedly smart woman fall for that type of dude. It is like he was being rewarded for his behavior.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I've watched the first three episodes so far, and I'm enjoying the ride.

Enough older characters and situations to bring you back into it, but just enough fresh-faced new characters to make it different.
And the older characters have been mostly used well. Kitty and Red get top billing this time around, and their stories get around half the running time. That's a smart move. Debra Jo Rupp is so terrific as Kitty, a Kitty that has only gotten weirder and blunter during her years as an empty nester. Kurtwood Smith is doing something really interesting as Red; on "That 70's Show" Red was the Red we loved but Eric and his friends fear, here, Red makes a big show of being that Red, but he isn't really. Even as he huffs and gruffs about the commotion and upheaval, Smith drops in little moments when we can see how much Red secretly loves it.

The show has only featured Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis, and Wilmer Valderrama a little bit so far, but every moment with Kelso, Jackie, and Fez killed. Fez's commercial for his hair salon? I just about died.

And I'm loving the way the show's using Tommy Chong as Leo. Still Grade A stoner humor, but he weaves in and out of the story as Leo lives a life he's barely aware of. I got a good chuckle out of Kitty telling Leia how she knew Leo, and belatedly realizing as she described the situation just how questionable a parenting choice it was to allow it back then.

I binged this yesterday and I agree that it did a really good job of feeling like the 70's show, but a newer generation. I think the actress playing Leia is perfect imho. She did feel like she could be a daughter of Eric and Donna.
She really channels Topher Grace's performance at times, especially when Leia's being dorky or when she's on thin ice with Red. They nailed the wardrobe for her character, too; she dresses exactly like I remember the "good girls" her age dressing back then.

I am not happy who they chose for her first romantic hookup.
I didn't like that the "sweet" girl fell for the Kelso type. I hate seeing supposedly smart woman fall for that type of dude. It is like he was being rewarded for his behavior.
What's unexpected is that Jay Kelso isn't really the Kelso of this group; Gwen's lovable moron brother fills that slot. He's more the Donna of the group.

Laughed quite a bit in the second ep.
It actually stood out to me much I was laughing out loud with these first few episodes; way more than any other sitcom I've watched recently. The tone does feel broader to me than the original series, but that might just be because I'm no longer used to the multi-camera with studio audience approach to making television.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I've only watched the pilot so far and found it a bit 'meh', but, as we all know, one shouldn't judge a show by the pilot alone.

There weren't as many anachronisms to 'take me out of the show' as there were on the parent series (mainly, the use of non-vintage food packages, etc), but I did find at least one slang reference that I'm pretty sure wasn't around in 1995:
motorboating
. Certainly, not around in normal use to where you wouldn't have to explain it to most people.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I went to watch the first episode or two this afternoon and ended up watching the first 6.

I quite enjoyed it and it took me back to the feel of season 3-5 of the original show. As above, the actress playing Leia is channeling a weird mix of Eric and Donna and pulling it off well. Red and Kitty are always enjoyable. The only issue I have (and it's minor) is that Ozzie reminds me too much of Han from Two Broke Girl$. And not in a great way.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
What do we think the chances are of this show getting a blu-ray release?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Got through episode 6 last night and still loving the show. How has Don Stark not been given the keys to the sitcom world? He’s hilarious. Guy should be the anchor of his own show. Also, goes without saying that Debra Jo and Kurtwood are essential to this show. They’re even better than they were on the original. The scene where Red gives Leia the keys was one of the best of the franchise.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finished the series tonight. I loved it. Great cameos from the original cast, but the new kids really bring you in. I really hope it gets renewed and soon, so we can have a new season this time next year.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Finished the series tonight. I loved it. Great cameos from the original cast, but the new kids really bring you in. I really hope it gets renewed and soon, so we can have a new season this time next year.
Same here.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I enjoyed it more than I expected. The original I loved because that was my time as a teen. I was 7 thru 17 in the 70's so was basically the exact same age as the "kids".

Since I was an adult int he 90's, I wasn't sure I would get a lot of the references, and I was right, but it didn't seem to matter all that much. I still enjoyed it almost as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks