What's new

Distributing DVD material throughout your house (1 Viewer)

AndyF

Agent
Has anyone setup their DVD player so that a movie can be seen on any TV in the house?

I have a seldom used 5 disk DVD player that I'd like to use to create my own movie channel for my kids. (put in 5 movies and hit shuffle...) I'd prefer to not have the DVD player in the same room(s) as them. (You should see what they do to CDs!)

The solutions I've thought of include:

1 - Use a time base corrector, TBC, with an RF modulator (on an unused channel like 100) and combine it with my CATV signals.
http://www.cable-electronics.com/Amp1001F.html
http://www.datavideo-tek.com/navigat...000/entire.htm

2 - Use a special DVD-compatible modulator and combine with my CATV signals.
http://www.cable-electronics.com/gold_series_2002G.html

3 - Use an AV distribution amplifier and run composite AV in conjunction with my existing coax.

The reason for the TBC would be to get around the MacroVision junk.

I know I can buy a cheap DVD player, but I'm more worried about possibly having a bunch of damaged DVDs.

Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts?

thanks,
andy

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You can buy modulators that will encode the composite & L/R audio into a spare CATV channel.

But you have to insure that the CATV company is not broadcasting anything on the channel you intend to use. Not only will it interfear with YOUR system, you will be pumping signal to everyone on your block.

Look at the back of your DVD changer. See any un-used Video and L/R audio outputs? Buy one of the $25 Modulators (made for televisions without L/R/Video inputs) and feed it with the un-used composite video and audio. Run a CATV coax cable from the box to your kids room. You can now feed the DVD signal to them and they can see it on channel 3/4. Buy a simple A/B splitter like they sell for game systems to let them toggle between the DVD feed and ordinary CATV.

This is likely your cheapest (~$50) solution.

Or, spend $99 for the "TV Rabbit" from radio shack. This thing is a wireless link so you can watch DVD's in another room. Radio Shack and many department stores sell them.

Good Luck.

AndyF

Agent
Thanks,

I intended to use a low pass RF filter that would block anything above channel 86 (or whatever the cut off point is)

CATV->filter->combiner->splitter->rest of house

The combiner would be where I inject my new channels.

I hadn't thought of the wireless link. Neat idea.

The one issue I think I have is how to handle a TV with a built-in VCR.

Thanks again.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have the main set upgoing to a 1 in/ 8 out distributer going into the a/v inputs of every tv.
The bedroom setup goes into a modulator and goes to every tv also along with a security camera.
The 1st looks & sounds great, the modulator - so so and took a long time to set up properly.
My crappy old digital cable box would not let me tune to an used channel. This convinced me to go to DirectTV and I have never regretted it.
1 drawback - I set my main TV & DVD to do the sony squeeze which looks great on the main set but funky on the others (for anamorphic discs that is)
hope that helps
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks