What's new

Direct-View TVs with Anamorphic Squeeze? (1 Viewer)

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
I understand that several of Sony's direct-view TVs have the ability to anamorphically squeeze the picture, which preserves the full resolution of anamorphic DVDs. Are there any other manufacturers that provide this feature in their direct-view TVs, without requiring you to use the service menu?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
The only other brand that I know of is Samsung. With the Samsung's you don't even have to go into the menu system it's just a press of the button on the remote.You might want to check out the 27 inch flat tube "Akai" made by Samsung under the Home Theater Coupons and Bargains section.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Regarding the Panasonic and Philips sets, is this feature available on their 32" and 36" analog NTSC sets, or only on their digital HDTV sets? Their websites don't mention this feature at all.

MoG

Stunt Coordinator
not sure if it is still available...

Panasonic 32XF56A

It's a SDTV and/or EDTV. ie-it does 480p.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There was a recent thread about the Curtis Mathes brand, sold at K-Mart, that also has a squeeze mode (via the user menu).

This seems to be the first low-end TV to have this.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Samsung makes the the sets for Curtis/Mathes & Akai. In my post above I thought you wanted to know which brands of regular NTSC sets would do the squeeze trick not SD & HDTV sets. Again, as far as I know it's either Sony or Samsung or sets that might be made by them that can do the squeeze trick.

Andy_A

Second Unit
Hi, anyone out there know if it is possible to perform the anamorphic squeeze trick on a 31 inch GE -- GE 31gt720 -- via the service menu? If anyone can help me, please let me know. I'd like to make my tv look better than it does. Please post here if it may be possible or not.. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks