What's new

Which TVs do automatic anamorphic squeeze? (1 Viewer)

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Well, since my previous post that only got 1 response I've done some more research and would like to know which TV sets do the anamorphic squeeze automatically.
Here's what I think I know so far:
  • Toshibas only do squeeze for HD signals
  • Some Sonys do automatic, some don't (which ones???)
So for now Sony is my front-runner. Anybody care to enlighten me on which models do the squeeze automatically and which ones are manual only? Direct-views and RPTVs are equally of interest to me at this moment, so any info would be appreciated.
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
You are partly correct on your research.
however, the new toshiba 4:3 HD-ready RPTV models do the squeeze for dvd's. look for models ending in 71. the old models end in 70 and only squeeze 1080i sources. For direct view, I'm not sure about toshiba's new models, but I would assume that their HD-ready models would squeeze.
I know that the XBR WEGA's do the squeeze automatically. perhaps a few other models, but any WEGA over 27" offers at least a manual squeeze mode (sony calls it V-compression.) As far as Sony's HD-ready RPTV's I think they all do the squeeze automatically for DVD as well as 1080i.
Panasonic's direct view HD-ready monitors have automatic squeeze for DVD as well as 1080i. Not sure about their RPTVs.
Others will have more info I'm sure.
hope this helps.
------------------
zaphod
end of transmission...

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
I recently had my Sony 53HS10 replaced with a 53HS30 by Sony and the HS30's do the squeeze automatically. The HS10 did not.
A friend of mine bought a Wega 27" last year and the squeeze is not automatic on it. Not sure about the new Wega's.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the info so far! Keep it coming!
I checked out my friend's Sony KV-32FS16 tonight, which I guess is last year's version of the KV-32FS17. This was the first time I actually had the chance to play with the squeeze feature. Wow! The difference is amazing. Text is much more solid, small details are easier to notice, vertical scrolling doesn't cause horizontal lines to pop in and out and distort, etc. Anamorphic squeeze is definitely a must have for anyone buying a new 4:3 TV, IMO.
Alas, the KV-32FS16 doesn't do the squeeze automatically. What's worse is that when you switch video inputs away from the component input, the squeeze turns off for the component input and you have to reset it every time. I haven't checked out the KV-32FS17, so I can't comment on this year's model as far as automatic squeeze (the KV-32FS17 IS this year's model, right?).
Ok, so far I have some info on the direct-view 32-inchers (and consequently 36-inchers also), and the 53HS30. Does anybody know anything about the Sony KP-43HT20? Why is it designated "HT" instead of "HS" like the rest of the TV line? Is there a new 43-inch RPTV coming out from Sony this year? If so does it do the squeeze automatically?
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The new Toshiba's do indeed do it, but it's not automatic.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks