What's new

Calibration mode, 4:3/16:9 ? (1 Viewer)

Cagri

Second Unit
I have been reading the posts for some time and got confused on one point. I have a Loewe Calida 32" direct view TV and an old Pioneer DV515 which I am very happy with. The TV is 4:3, it has 16:9 squeeze function, and the DVD players aspect modes are pan&scan and letterbox. I set this as 'pan&scan' as suggested by the manual, and when I play an anamorphic movie, there are black bars on top and bottom, so there is no need to set the TVs 16:9 function on, if I am correct? But then, in several posts about calibrating, I have read suggestions to set the TVs 16:9 function on in order to calibrate properly.. How shall I set the TV and the Dvd player for a proper calibration, please? Thanks

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Depends on which mode for the TV you want optimized? 4:3 viewing or 16:9 viewing. You usually cannot have both.

Most would do the 16:9 mode and let the 4:3 fall where it may.

Regards

Cagri

Second Unit
Thanks very much Michael. I played with the settings of the dvd player and the TV and prefered 'wide' on the dvd player and 4:3 on the TV as these settings provide a bigger viewing area altough not recommended in dvd player's manual.Feel like I did the settings upside down as the TV is not wide and the movies are not 4:3, but... Other than that, I have discovered that the frame or whatever it is called, the tiny black bars on both sides of the tube, the ones which are on every direct view sets, are not equally wide, i.e. the one on the right hand side is wider by almost 1/4th of an inch than the other. Is this normal or shall I call and have a word with the retailer? Thanks again for your reply, regards.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It's not pertinent to what you are watching, but centering helps.

If your Full mode ... looks fine then I would not sweat it. There are many worse things you could end up with in place of a set with a 4:3 mode slightly off centered.

It's your set ...

Centering in the service menu is usually not that difficult assuming you know how to get in there ...

Regards

Cagri

Second Unit
Michael thanks again for your swift reply. There isn't a mode as 'full' in this Loewe Calida as far as I know, I don't know if you are familiar with this set. There may be an equevelant mode which I don't have any idea about. If it isn't set to that mode, I understand from your reply that it has to be adjusted right?

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You are right ... 4:3 sets have no full mode.

Call or look for service menu information yourself. You just need a HPOS ... horizontal position parameter to muck with. Easy to do, but you need to get into the service menu.

regards

Cagri

Second Unit
OK thanks Michael, I will try and get into the service menu after calling the service guys cause normally the set does not let me in there, saying 'authorised dealer only!'
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks