What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (4 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Picked up The Gathering Storm and Darkest Hour to get my Churchill on. Finney and Oldman both made great Churchills.

It's a shame that Into the Storm was such a misfire. I didn't love Brendan Gleeson's take on Churchill, and the decision to make a movie that was both a wartime story and a post-war story was a mistake. If they could have locked Finney in, it should have been a trilogy, with the second movie about Churchill during World War II and then the third movie about Churchill's post-war struggles.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think this film suffers from the fact that it's a remake of such a classic movie. It's ALWAYS going to compared to the original. But, Carpenter went there, and he didn't deliver. For me. If only he'd brought his A-game on VotD like he did with The Thing.
We watched Carpenter's Village of the Damned last night. It wasn't anywhere near as good as the original, IMO. Kirstie Alley's acting is pretty bad, and both Christopher Reeve and Mark Hamill seem to be going through the motions. The movie, though, wasn't as bad as the hair cut that Hamill had in the film. :laugh: Anyway, I wouldn't put this on my list of favorite Carpenter films.

My wife has never seen the original film, so that one goes on our viewing list for the near future. I own the BD of the classic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Picked up The Gathering Storm and Darkest Hour to get my Churchill on. Finney and Oldman both made great Churchills.

It's a shame that Into the Storm was such a misfire. I didn't love Brendan Gleeson's take on Churchill, and the decision to make a movie that was both a wartime story and a post-war story was a mistake. If they could have locked Finney in, it should have been a trilogy, with the second movie about Churchill during World War II and then the third movie about Churchill's post-war struggles.
Yet Gleeson won an Emmy for it.:) I almost bought both, Into the Storm and The Gathering Storm before I realized they're on HBO Max.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Lots of double feature titles on sale at iTunes for $9.99, if you can find something that you like. I decided to upgrade my DVD versions of the Wayne's World films. I also picked up the original Airport for $4.99 -- I have never owned any of the Airport films in any format, and have not seen this film in many, many years.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wait. Does iTunes also give free 4K upgrade for DCs thru them (from iTunes HD codes that come w/ some disc purchases)?

I had thought only direct purchases work that, not DC redemptions.

_Man_

Only if you redeem the code through iTunes.

So I went and checked thru a modest batch of old, previously used-on-Vudu code cards to try on iTunes. I knew some of them could still be used for iTunes, ie. mainly some from non-MA studios that come w/ both UV and iTunes codes. Didn't realize until I tried that even some (old ones) for some MA studios would still work separately for iTunes. Some of Universal's old DCs were that way, and I ended up getting a few nice surprises where they redeemed in 4K and actually registered as 4K to MA and thus are now 4K even in Vudu, overriding the old redemptions on Vudu, eg. Schindler's List, Big Lebowski, Scarface, ET, Atomic Blonde, Get Out, the Despicable Me series.

I guess that makes up for a few 4K DCs I've lost from redeeming at Vudu.

Just wish I had realized sooner the 4K upgrade on iTunes would actually transfer to MA, et al if they're already 4K at redemption (vs being upgraded later). I woulda held off on redeeming Spartacus, Vertigo and Rear Window and maybe a couple others on iTunes until Apple has them in 4K...

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I decided to upgrade my DVD versions of the Wayne's World films.
How does this work if you already have one of them?

The Airplanes are $10 for both but I already have One but not The Sequel.

Also there’s a double that includes Big and Mrs Doubtfire.
I have Big but only HD don’t have The Missus. How’s that work?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

No way around it. Gotta pay the bundle price even if you own one.

The Big /Mrs Doubtfire is 4K so that deal may be worth it for you.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

No way around it. Gotta pay the bundle price even if you own one.

The Big /Mrs Doubtfire is 4K so that deal may be worth it for you.

Just make sure you realize they'll register only as HD on MA though...

IF you also want 4K on MA (and Vudu, et al), you'll probably want to wait for them to individually drop back down to $5 each... which seems likely enough some time later this year given how often they've done so in the last year or two...

_Man_

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Humphrey Bogart movie In a Lonely Place on sale for $4.99 at iTunes. Another Criterion disc I can skip. I’m hit or miss with Criterion, for example Warner-licensed Criterion titles are less likely to have current iTunes transfers than Sony-licensed Criterion titles.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The Humphrey Bogart movie In a Lonely Place on sale for $4.99 at iTunes. Another Criterion disc I can skip. I’m hit or miss with Criterion, for example Warner-licensed Criterion titles are less likely to have current iTunes transfers than Sony-licensed Criterion titles.

How does it look on iTunes?

I had been debating this one (and a few others whether already on sale or not yet) now that the B&N sale is going.

I bought the Asphalt Jungle on iTunes a couple weeks ago before realizing there's a Criterion release (I didn't spot until) when the sale began...

_Man_

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
How does it look on iTunes?

I had been debating this one (and a few others whether already on sale or not yet) now that the B&N sale is going.

I bought the Asphalt Jungle on iTunes a couple weeks ago before realizing there's a Criterion release (I didn't spot until) when the sale began...

_Man_
Pretty good. As a Movies Anywhere title I was able to compare the various platforms. iTunes and MA have a clean transfer though the credits look odd (bumpy because of the moving car background), while Amazon and Vudu have another transfer with lots of dirt specks, but the credits look more steady. If I were to guess, I would say iTunes is probably the newer Criterion transfer and the bumpy credits might be due to stabilization software that was unable to isolate the text from the bumpy car-ride background resulting in making the credits less stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    papill6n
    Recent bookmarks