What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (4 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Pretty good. As a Movies Anywhere title I was able to compare the various platforms. iTunes and MA have a clean transfer though the credits look odd (bumpy because of the moving car background), while Amazon and Vudu have another transfer with lots of dirt specks, but the credits look more steady. If I were to guess, I would say iTunes is probably the newer Criterion transfer and the bumpy credits might be due to stabilization software that was unable to isolate the text from the bumpy car-ride background resulting in making the credits less stable.

Hmmm... looks like they're putting a whole batch of well regarded classics, especially the Bogart ones, on sale, not just In a Lonely Place. Tempted to get them all... but just noticed one could get the Warner Archive BD set of the (4) Bogart & Bacall classics for under $30 now, so think I'll spring for that instead (at least for those 4). Still several others that seem worth buying on iTunes though...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ooooh, I didn't know about that either ;) They've been paying for my Hulu for years. Excited to see what T-Mobile brings...
We lost the free Hulu subscription when we switched to their 55+ plan (for people over 55 years old). It saved us a lot more than the cost of a Hulu subscription, so it was worth the switch. I never bothered to sign up for Hulu separately afterwards, though. We have enough to watch through other avenues.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Just noticed "Dodsworth" has been added to iTunes in HD for $9.99. I don't know if it's the same transfer as the WA disc but it's welcome all the same.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
We lost the free Hulu subscription when we switched to their 55+ plan (for people over 55 years old). It saved us a lot more than the cost of a Hulu subscription, so it was worth the switch. I never bothered to sign up for Hulu separately afterwards, though. We have enough to watch through other avenues.
If you feel the need to get Hulu, they've alnost always run a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal. Last year was $1.99 per month for 12 months for their ad-supported tier. We don't watch it much but have definitely gotten our money's worth so far this year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you feel the need to get Hulu, they've alnost always run a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal. Last year was $1.99 per month for 12 months for their ad-supported tier. We don't watch it much but have definitely gotten our money's worth so far this year.
I was tempted by that offer last year, but decided that I really didn't miss Hulu since we lost our free subscription via Sprint. Between Prime, Disney+ and now a free premium Peacock streaming account I think we have enough of those types of services. Maybe if I don't renew Disney+ after our three year super-low price sub runs out I will reconsider. I am actually not watching any of them that much, as I bought quite a few complete TV series on iTunes cheap and have been watching those. With the warm summer weather, too, I have been spending a lot of time sitting on our deck reading my Kindle and listening to music, so my watching has been down. The TV rarely gets turned on until after dinner.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
One of my recommendations is "The Accountant" if anybody is interested.

I am interested. Going to look at it now.

I just bought the remake of 3:10 To Yuma for $4 more than I should have. However, I want to watch the remake while the original is still fresh in my mind

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am interested. Going to look at it now.

I just bought the remake of 3:10 To Yuma for $4 more than I should have. However, I want to watch the remake while the original is still fresh in my mind
Another thing I don't like about the remake is it being 30 minutes longer than the original. The first time I actually watched the remake was in a movie theater. It's not a bad movie, it's just not as good as the original. Hell, I even have the remake on 4K disc. I haven't seen the original in about five years so I will try to watch again this week.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Another thing I don't like about the remake is it being 30 minutes longer than the original. The first time I actually watched the remake was in a movie theater. It's not a bad movie, it's just not as good as the original. Hell, I even have the remake on 4K disc. I haven't seen the original in about five years so I will try to watch again this week.

I can't see the remake even being close to what the original was.

I came to terms with the ending of the original. Posted in that thread on at least how I interpreted it. Hope I was right.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I can't see the remake even being close to what the original was.

I came to terms with the ending of the original. Posted in that thread on at least how I interpreted it. Hope I was right.
While the remake isn't as good, IMO, it's still an enjoyable film. I like both of the lead actors - - Russell Crowe and Christian Bale. I liked it enough to purchase it on 4K disc after borrowing the BD from a friend.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Really liked the remake myself. Guess I need to finally get the original 3:10 to Yuma then... though no idea when I'd actually get around to watching...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just so you guys know, "The Great Escape" has upgraded to 4K on iTunes, but without any HDR. I sampled some of it and I could tell the difference in the video presentation from when I watched the HD digital a couple of months ago when the Criterion BD came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks