What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Different director for 4th Harry Potter movie Goblet of Fire (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sorry. I worded it vague to not give anything away, but I'll spoiler it.

One word of warning: you may not ever plan to, but don't go to the site ytmnd.com (you're the man now, dog), home of those stupid "page of graphic with repeated sound" things. They think it's a blast to spoil HBP, so they have a key event in bold type on just about every page--including the main page.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
J.K. Rowling answered this question in her website FAQ. I'm paraphrasing here but the gist was: House-elves use a different kind of magic than other races, or they wouldn't be able to do the tasks they do (cleaning, etc).

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'll put these in spoilers just in case:

What do you guys think about the S.P.E.W. subplot being dropped? Personally, I think they should've filmed it, and put it back in a la an extended edition in the DVD's. I also heard they're dropping the Dursley's beginning as well.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Spoiler rules apply to Movies or TV under discussion. This book has been out, what, 6 weeks now?

It's becoming pointless to try and discuss anything if people keep going "um, hey, I haven't read the book yet but I REALLY REALLY care how it ends, so don't spoil me".

Can we clarify, and also set a cutoff date when it won't apply, because every other section at HTF has cutoffs when spoilers are no longer applicable.

This is irritating. Discussion is being hindered, and I'm curious when it'll be open again, or if it's open now.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I guess I always figured it was safe to not use spoiler tags once the movie/show/book is released but only as long as the movie/book being spoiled was the one the thread was about. To randomly spoil something for someone in a thread that has nothing to do with it is just mean. :frowning:

So following that logic, we can spoiler all we want about the sixth book as long as we're posting in a discussion about the book (one's located in the After Hours Lougne). Since we're talking about movies and we're still a few years away from the 6th film, it's best to keep it safe and use spoiler tags when discussing it or even the fifth book. I'd still be cautious over discussing the fourth one's plot details. Just because people want to discuss an upcoming movie doesn't mean they've read the source material. :)

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
What Ray said. This is a discussion thread for the *fourth* Harry Potter movie. And unless I'm mistaken spoilers for the Goblet of Fire have to be marked as such. I also know there are more than a few people who only watch the movies and not read the books so spoiling the novels that haven't been adapted yet *will* be spoiling the upcoming films too.

And I guess I must apologize for my tardiness on reading the sixth book but I've been pretty busy and would prefer and wait until I can devote my full attention to it. Yes I know that means I run the risk of being spoiled in the meantime but I've generally been pretty careful with what threads I go to and had a assumed that a thread for the Goblet of Fire movie would be safe.

If a mod wants to say that this isn't the case then I'll bow out of this discussion thread.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Kevin, I agree with you. I just was able to get to the latest book myself, and I was really cautious about any HP threads before that. I think the general rule--even if it's just a courtesy rule--is that you only lift spoilers once a movie is out. That would seem to suggest that Goblet of Fire and up plot points are due for spoilers, with spoilers to continue for the next two books even when the new movie opens. It shouldn't hinder discussion, because if anyone wants to read spoiler material, all they have to do is highlight it and enclose their own comments in spoiler tags.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Wasn't this the Dursley opening in Goblet?

Weasleys destroy the fireplace to get into Harry's house, and Fred and George make sure Dudley gets a joke candy?

That would have been high comedy. :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There is a HBP book discussion thread in the AHL section.

This is the GOF movie thread, so I guess discussions of anything beyond GOF should be moved elsewhere.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Goblet of Fire book spoilers:
Someone tricked me into viewing photos of some "Harlequin fetuses". This is a tragic real fatal birth defect. It was an image that will haunt me for a great while to come. The reason I bring it up is that looking back to GOF, Voldemort's pre-ressurection description is an almost to the t description of what one looks like. If they truly went that route with it, the film should be NC17 as far as I'm concerned. Rowling recalled being surprised her editors let that through for the book and having seen the real world equivilant and I can understand why.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
GOF:

If they kept the ending remotely similar to the book, I imagine a lot of people are going to be pretty shocked by the events directly following the activation of the portkey. I don't know that anyone will see Cedric's death coming, for one.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Just to toss in my thoughts on previous page stuff, I hated Harris as Dumbledore. Great actor, but not Dumbledore at all. Harris could never have delivered the "Nitwit, blubber, odment, tweak" line from SS, which unsurprisingly was cut from the movie. He had enough gravity for the quiet, introspective moments, and would have been great for the conclusion of say, book 5, but he doesn't have the fire that is displayed say, late in book 4 or at the climax of 5. Dumbledore for me is young despite his body, he's full of a near boundless energy that is just barely kept veiled and escapes several times, and Harris never brought that energy to the role. Gravity and weight, absolutely, but he was never energetic.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
A few advanced reviews commented on the ending and how its easily the darkest thing weve seen in a Potter movie so far.

Maybe like ROTS, it'll have to get a PG13

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks