What's new

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt.2 has been voted the best Harry Potter film by both users and critics of Rotten Tomatoes, with a combined rating of 93%. Critics gave the movie a 96% score, while fans gave it a 89% rating.
In second place, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban received an average rating of 88%, while Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets both scored 82%. According to National Holidays who compiled the data, there isn’t much disagreement when it comes to the least favored movie. The Fantastic Beasts sequel plummeted to the bottom of the pile, with Crimes of Grindewald scoring just 37% from critics and 55% from fans.
harry-potter-and-the-sorcerers-stone_8lGRRH-1024x845.jpg

The Harry Potter Films, ranked in order of ratings:
Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2
Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter & the Philosopher’s...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Prisoner is my favorite book and probably my favorite movie. I really like Sorcerer’s Stone because of the age of the young wizards. In general I prefer the movies to the books because in the books Harry seems too often to be a whiny brat. I did prefer Deathly Hallows book to the movies. I didn’t see either of the Fantastic Beasts movies at the theater but did buy the disks (Black Friday). I finally got around to seeing Crimes of Grindelwald last week and think it might have killed the third installment. At least Fantastic Beasts (1) was better than the book :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I can say Half Blood Prince was my favorite book. As for the films I loved them all. Tough to pick a favorite.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They maintained such a high level of consistency and quality that it’s really tough to pick one. They’re all parts of a whole.

But I think special consideration has to be given to the first film. If that movie doesn’t come out right and please both an eager fan base of readers and a much wider new group of moviegoers, there is no franchise. The first film not only told a compelling story but also credibly suggested an entire world of stories that was worth revisiting.

Especially in this day and age of remakes and reboots and sequels, all building off prior works, there’s something to be said for a film good enough to start a film franchise. The books are very good and very popular, but succeeding as a crossover general audience event was never a guarantee and the path the first film charted for the series is quite an achievement.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought the movies got better as they went, partly because Radcliffe really developed as an actor.

He was bland in the first few but eventually matured and became a strength.

Watson's limitations became clearer with every passing film, but the movies were good anyway.

Grint improved a bit, but he was pretty good out of the gate...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I’d also say Prisoner. The Columbus films were exceedingly well cast, but Cuaron established a much needed maturation of the sets and filmmaking. The young actors started to get good, and the array of adult actors in PoA was amazing.

And the direction was phenomenal.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
"GoF" was the 1st that really started to interest me in the franchise. The 1st 3 left me semi-cold, but "GoF" got me more invested...

Same here- especially the first which I found extremely tedious. If I recall it and Spider-man came out closely around the same time and which to me was so much better after being let down by HP.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Azkaban > Deathly Hallows Pt. II > Half-Blood Prince > Deathly Hallows Pt. I > Goblet of Fire (good adaptation of a terrible book) > Chamber of Secrets > Order of the Phoenix (bad adaptation of a woefully underrated book) > Sorcerer's Stone

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Same here- especially the first which I found extremely tedious. If I recall it and Spider-man came out closely around the same time and which to me was so much better after being let down by HP.

I thought the 1st 3 just spent too much time with Harry and his pals as they did Hogwarts stuff and they didn't push their plots very well.

I think that content works in the books but becomes tedious in the movies!

"GoF" was the first where I felt they really started to emphasize story movement over unrelated wizardry...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Azkban for me too.

I'd seen Sorcerer's Stone and found it somewhat laughable (the troll/bathroom sequence especially so, partly due to the vfx) vowing to not bother with any others. I don't know why I saw Azkaban but I did and found it much better than the first film. After seeing that one I went back and watched Sorcerer's Stone again. In that viewing the film was much better so I watched Chamber and enjoyed it too. It got a bit tedious towards the end.

Since seeing all the films I started reading the books. They've been fun reads so far (I think the last one I read was Azkaban) in spite of knowing what's going to happen.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Harry Potter And The Sorcerers Stone was released on November 16, 2001.

Spiderman was released almost six months later on May 3 2002.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks