What's new

Different director for 4th Harry Potter movie Goblet of Fire (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The international poster popped online and features a couple notable confirmations. The first is that Gary Oldman is credited among the cast, confirming his continued participation. The second is that John Williams is give a similar credit to the Superman sequels, which implies that Doyle will be making fairly extensive use of Williams' themes. Here's the link:http://www.fi-sci.net/index.php?opti...=283&Itemid=44

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I listened to the two tracks that the various HP websites leaked. Doyle's work on The Story Continues track was very impressive. He manages to blend his new sonic creations with John Williams' instantly recognizable Hedwig's Theme quite effectively.

I can't tell you how unimpressed I was with This is the Night by 'The Weird Sisters'. I was hoping for another pleasant surprise ala Double Trouble but was sorely disappointed. Ick!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hello fellows,

I never read single post in this thread, for fear of spoilers - I am still in the middle of Goblet you see.

Here is my HP history:

I watched Sorcerer in 2001 as a HP virgin, and enjoyed it. But I never really felt the need to see it again, or even read the books. Plus, LOTR (My 1st and only love :) ) was due out a month later and my anticipation was so intense (been waiting for 2 years), Potter might have well not have existed after Dec 2001.

Chamber came out, meant to catch it, never got around to it. Same with Azkaban.

I caught the teaser for Goblet before Serenity and was definitely intrigued... I really liked seeing how our characters had grown (especially Hermione, probably my favorite). The begining montage is really what did it for me. Then the trailer... strangely enough, it didn't work as well.

Then, at the urging of a friend, I started reading the books. I am in the middle of book 4, and decided to watch the trailers again. The teaser was even better, but now with the appropriate background info, the trailer now took a whole other dimension.

Can't wait.

--
H

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The third book - Prisoner of Azkaban - is my favorite book of the series and although I think the movie left out a bit too much back story and explanation it nonetheless did a great job of capturing exactly how I felt when reading the book. Particularly the last part, when all heck breaks loose!
Interestingly enough, Azkaban is my least favorite book so far. Yes, that last part was stellar but everything before felt very passive, and the time travel device didn't sit well with me.

The movie was a serious change of tone that took a while to adjust to, and the werewolf was more like (to use a friend's expression) a wererat. But in the end, it was more enjoyable than Columbus' efforts.

I like and missed Chris Columbus' vision as it felt more like fantasy, but I certainly do NOT miss his direction at all. Chamber is my favorite of the books I completed so far, yet I actually fell asleep during the final confrontation in the movie... Columbus inability to create moments is his biggest downfall (scenes that should have been momentous just fell flat), along with the screenwriter's inability to actually adapt the material.

The best showcase of the later issue is Tom Riddle's revelation of his actual identity in the Chamber of Secrets. The shining letters in the air thing works fine on paper, but to have a character in the movie standing facing his opponent, then turn around, write his name, then do that trick to rearrange the letters to form his new name looked profoundly dumb. Ugh.

Still in the middle of Goblet, best book so far :emoji_thumbsup:.

--
H

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Columbus inability to create moments is his biggest downfall (scenes that should have been momentous just fell flat), along with the screenwriter's inability to actually adapt the material.
I disagree. Cuarón edited everything down to such an extent that the film moved too quickly for its main events to have the impact they should have. Azkaban has some wonderful imagery, and went down better once I'd already run through it once, but it still rarely provokes an emotional reaction even when all the pieces are there.
By contrast, scenes like the Mirror of Erised and the photo album at the end were perfectly placed emotional beats that Columbus gave the proper room to breathe. People say he's pedestrian, but the scene in which Harry takes Hegwid out flying after his discussion with Dumbledore perfectly captured the emotional place he was in after that discussion. I wish Cuarón had had more time for such beats.
While some moments fall flat in Chamber (everyone's out-of-character cheering for Hagrid at the end, as an example), others (like Fawkes coming to save Harry) moved me close to tears. That scene is fantastic in the way the brillant colors stand out against the almost monocromatic dull greens and greys of the sewers.

I'm therefore less concerned that Newell will leave too much out as I am that he won't give the stuff he leaves in the proper room to breathe and allow it the time to resonate.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Now that I've finished the book, I am reading back through the thread and I have to say, for a thread about Goblet of Fire, there seems to be an awful lot of spoilers about the later books :frowning:. Guys, WTF??? :confused:

--
H

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I disagree. Cuarón edited everything down to such an extent that the film moved too quickly for its main events to have the impact they should have. Azkaban has some wonderful imagery, and went down better once I'd already run through it once, but it still rarely provokes an emotional reaction even when all the pieces are there.
I tend to agree. When we get to the Shrieking Shack, the book had some wonderful character moments, but it seems like we whip right though that section in the movie. It doesn't really have the impact that it has in the book.

Jason

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Interesting, I absolutely cannot stand the Goblet of Fire, the book. Well, not necessarily can't stand it, but the whole structure of the novel just really didn't set well with me at all. I'd place either Azkhaban or Phoenix well ahead of Goblet (I haven't read HBP yet).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Interesting, I absolutely cannot stand the Goblet of Fire, the book. Well, not necessarily can't stand it, but the whole structure of the novel just really didn't set well with me at all. I'd place either Azkhaban or Phoenix well ahead of Goblet (I haven't read HBP yet).
While I couldn't stand Phoenix. I just wanted to beat the crap out of Harry the whole book. (Don't worry, that's all I'm going to say about it...)

Jason

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I didn't enjoy OoTP for the simple reason that JK was circling the airport. She had changed the paradigm at the end of GoF, but still wasn't ready to power to the finish line. OoTP reads well as Harry's teenage angst (and she writes him well at this age), but the macro-story waits until the last 100 pages. PoA and GoF are still my favorites. And HBP was a lot of fun to read. It felt like the sequel to the events in GoF.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The making of special aired on HBO last night and it looks fantastic.:emoji_thumbsup:

For the record, OOTP was my least favorite while HBP was my favorite. No fat in HPB. It kept moving the story along brilliantly.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
While I couldn't stand Phoenix. I just wanted to beat the crap out of Harry the whole book. (Don't worry, that's all I'm going to say about it...)
Not liking Harry is not related to which book you like, I feel Harry is extremely unlikable in practically every book after Sorcerer's Stone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks